Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official OBD1 vs OBD2 argument thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a cut ewsII key costs $200 from a dealer and that is IF you can prove ownership of the VIN. I haven't been able to get a second key for my car tell you that much.

Then you need two keys in your car. So, unless you can install the tumbler/ring somewhere and use it like a kill switch then awesome. I just hid mine with the key permanently attached to it which defeats the "added security". Its easy to access so i can, and do use it every now and then.. Wish i could replace the e30 tumbler with the e36 one in the steering column...

as for the EWSII module for $125 you prob still have to prove the same info as for the cut key. You're $325-400 into this assuming you have an ECU. That's why i say unless you can get the stuff cheap/together with your engine swap then go OBDI parts which are ridiculously cheap and easy to source... plus a $125 chip / tune and you're done.

or send the ecu out to get the eWSII deleted which may cost less than the aforementioned.
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

you can put the chip inside a regular E30 key.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you should get the S52 DME with the car, if you are getting the engine the title is probably avail as well - just buy the complete wreck and recycle/scrap of the body after you are done with it, this way you will have the paperwork also. Or just keep the e36M as a race car body where ews and OEM DME is not required.

If ews parts were needed for my e30 I would just take them from my E36M race car.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Bump for enlightenment

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Secondary bump

also answer my PM! ;)
            Originally posted by TSI
            ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
            OEM+

Comment

Still have people converting to OBD1 for no reason. PLEASE PEOPLE READ THIS THREAD AND BE INLIGHTENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Glad this thread was bumped. Is anyone successfully running an OBDI fuel rail on an OBDII motor? I'm attempting to, however the wiring harness for the rail interferes with the mounting for the fuel rail cover.

I really don't want to have to source and mount the OBDII FPR and I want to retain the fuel rail cover. The more I look at it I don't think I can get away with doing what I want to do and will have to either hack up the OBDI rail and lose the cover or use the OBDII rail and mount the FPR somewhere.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                  Still have people converting to OBD1 for no reason. PLEASE PEOPLE READ THIS THREAD AND BE INLIGHTENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
                  Maybe more people would do it if there was an organized, comprehensive guide? Honestly I have been reading up on it recently and most of the info is old, contradictory, and scattered throughout random build threads which don't really help. What we need is something like the 24v wiki page with all the info in one organized place that just states exactly what needs to be done, how, and the different options available to do so.
                  Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

I don't see what's so hard to understand.

For OBDII Swap into E30 you need:

- M52 or S52 ECU (Flashed to have EWS and secondary emissions removed)
                    - OBDII Engine Harness wired for your E30
                    - Modified Oil Dip Stick (if you intend to keep the OBD2 CCV setup)
                    - OBDI Fuel Rail

The rest of the install is like any other 24v swap. Please chime in if I left something out and I will add it to the list.

There's no reason to worry about the EWS key stuff if your ECU is appropriately flashed unless you are really so cheap you cannot afford to pay to have it done.

Comment

you don't actually need to remove EWS. you could just install it..
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        you don't actually need to remove EWS. you could just install it..
                        In an E30 I really see no reason to keep it. Too much headache when a nice car alarm can provide similar protection along with keyless entry.

Comment

Why do you need an OBDI fuel rail? I'm running the OBDII rail on mine along with the FPR that was under the car on the e36.
                          M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
                          Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
                          M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                            In an E30 I really see no reason to keep it. Too much headache when a nice car alarm can provide similar protection along with keyless entry.
                            I hate car alarms.

I'll probably end up with EWSIII. it's really not that complicated. :)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              I hate car alarms.

I'll probably end up with EWSIII. it's really not that complicated. :)
                              I know its not that complicated but its really doesn't add any real world anti-theft benefit.

Chances are, if someone is going to steal your E30 EWS is not going to stop them. In fact, its more likely to screw up and leave you stranded than to ever prevent an actual theft.

Originally posted by luckysnafu View Post
                              Why do you need an OBDI fuel rail? I'm running the OBDII rail on mine along with the FPR that was under the car on the e36.
                              No not needed, just makes for a simple setup if you have extra OBD1 parts handy. Honestly I could go either way with the fuel rail, I just prefer the OBD1 FPR in the fuel rail.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                                I don't see what's so hard to understand.

For OBDII Swap into E30 you need:

- M52 or S52 ECU (Flashed to have EWS and secondary emissions removed)
                                - OBDII Engine Harness wired for your E30
                                - Modified Oil Dip Stick (if you intend to keep the OBD2 CCV setup)
                                - OBDI Fuel Rail

The rest of the install is like any other 24v swap. Please chime in if I left something out and I will add it to the list.

There's no reason to worry about the EWS key stuff if your ECU is appropriately flashed unless you are really so cheap you cannot afford to pay to have it done.
                                I used the OBDII intake manifold and fuel rail.

Also needed (IMO to do it 100%):
                                Any ODBII engine specific part the wiring harness connects to (most should come with the engine)
                                -MAF
                                -Throttle body
                                -CPS, knock sensors etc
                                -Fuel tank breather valve
                                -Fuel pressure regulator
                                -idle control vlave
                                -3/2 directional control valve (fuel)
                                -Four O2 sensors
                                -emissions control airpump
                                -Pressure regulating valve / Oil Separator (connects to modified dip stick)

OBDII Emissions equipment:
                                -Carbon canister
                                -Fuel tank pressure valve

And while you are at it you may as well wire the OBDII Diagnostic port. Mine is working and giving me code and it is just 4 wires if you have everything else wired correctly.

Edit: Also because I am in Cali if i want to smog my car I need to have all OBDII emissions related equipment so I really had no choice.
                                Last edited by mammoth_e30; 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
                                X