Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official OBD1 vs OBD2 argument thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
    I know its not that complicated but its really doesn't add any real world anti-theft benefit.

Chances are, if someone is going to steal your E30 EWS is not going to stop them. In fact, its more likely to screw up and leave you stranded than to ever prevent an actual theft.
    I understand they will be able to flatbed/tow it away - but they could never start it.

the thieves around here are not that skilled - they're mostly meth/coke/heroin addicts, looking for an easy smash and grab, maybe a joy ride. they aren't going to have the organization or resources to tow your car away with a flatbed or a truck.. and they certainly don't have the skills/tools needed to defeat EWSIII.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
      Maybe more people would do it if there was an organized, comprehensive guide? Honestly I have been reading up on it recently and most of the info is old, contradictory, and scattered throughout random build threads which don't really help. What we need is something like the 24v wiki page with all the info in one organized place that just states exactly what needs to be done, how, and the different options available to do so.
      We could organize an OBDII section on the 24v wiki page....

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        I understand they will be able to flatbed/tow it away - but they could never start it.

the thieves around here are not that skilled - they're mostly meth/coke/heroin addicts, looking for an easy smash and grab, maybe a joy ride. they aren't going to have the organization or resources to tow your car away with a flatbed or a truck.. and they certainly don't have the skills/tools needed to defeat EWSIII.
        Ahhh.. Please forgive my simple East TN mentality. I doubt many of our criminals would even know how to hot wire a car.

Of course E30s fly under the radar because they don't have 22 inch wheels or because "dem BMdubbyas is to expensive and hard to fix on."

Comment

Originally posted by mammoth_e30 View Post
          i think that's a good idea. My once awesome OBDII / EWSII kamasutra thread is now utterly abandoned with most pictures/links down. I will take some time this weekend to shine it up and update some of the info such that i can be loaded to the 24v wiki page. I'm 6 OBDII cars in fully functional with Diagnostics port and all, plus who knows how many other cars used my thread so its worthy.

Imagine i did it up in 2007! first car i ever wired..
          No more e30s for me.
          88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
          88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
          91 BMW 325i [sold]
          86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by mammoth_e30 View Post
            This would be a great addition! :D

A collection of correct OBDII swap info is much needed period. There is lots of searchable info here and the web but you can't count on it being correct.

I've got a S52 drive line with harness and dme sitting in the garage awaiting its turn in the chassis. Since I'm currently running a M50NV it makes complete sense to stay OBDII and avoid sourcing misc bits to run it on old technology.

Comment

Hmm. Maybe ill make a writeup on my site.......

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                No not needed, just makes for a simple setup if you have extra OBD1 parts handy. Honestly I could go either way with the fuel rail, I just prefer the OBD1 FPR in the fuel rail.
                Robert, have you physically used an OBDI rail on an OBDII motor? Please see my post #67. Are you running the fuel rail cover?

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Only solution ive found to ^ problem is early E39 OBD2 fuel rail. Its an obd2 rail with integrated FPR just like the OBD1 one.

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                  Full Product Line Tuning
                  OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                    i think that's a good idea. My once awesome OBDII / EWSII kamasutra thread is now utterly abandoned with most pictures/links down. I will take some time this weekend to shine it up and update some of the info such that i can be loaded to the 24v wiki page. I'm 6 OBDII cars in fully functional with Diagnostics port and all, plus who knows how many other cars used my thread so its worthy.

Imagine i did it up in 2007! first car i ever wired..
                    Originally posted by aplinweiss_is View Post
                    This would be a great addition! :D

A collection of correct OBDII swap info is much needed period. There is lots of searchable info here and the web but you can't count on it being correct.

I've got a S52 drive line with harness and dme sitting in the garage awaiting its turn in the chassis. Since I'm currently running a M50NV it makes complete sense to stay OBDII and avoid sourcing misc bits to run it on old technology.
                    I've never edited a wiki page but I created an account and it doesn't look very hard to follow the existing format. I don't want to jack this thread to talk about it, lets take it off line or make a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                      Only solution ive found to ^ problem is early E39 OBD2 fuel rail. Its an obd2 rail with integrated FPR just like the OBD1 one.

Can i run a regular obd1 rail on my obd2 swap if i dont care about the fuel rail cover? I believe the odb1 regulator is a 3.5 bar unit, same as obd2.

Comment

Just jumping in to say I'm also going OBDII s52.

Comment

^ Good to hear.

And yes, you can run OBD1 TB and OBD1 Fuel rail just fine. The ECU doesnt know the difference as the TPS is basically the same and the FPR is 3.5 bar just like the OBD2 one.

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Left Mine OBD2 since I already had all the bits, was super easy really.

Comment

It will work but if you don't use the OBD2 FPR you will end up with a CEL, there is a plug on you harness for it, they are real cheap at the junk yard and every e36 seem to have the same one 3 bolts and a snip.

Comment

Ok so you found cheap wrecked 1996-1999 E36 donor car and you got nice 1984-1991 E30 that you want to do the 24v engine swap. Sense not much information is written about OBD2 conversion into your OBD1 project car, I decided to write what is needed and what is not when compared to OBD1 and OBD2 conversions.
                                Lets say that you already did one 24v swap in your E30 with 1993-1995 OBD1 system and you know it works. So that the only information that I will say here is the info that you need to know when putting in OBD2 engine management system from 1996-1999 E36.

Argument: what is better the 93-95 obd1 engine management or 96-99 engine management?

If you got 1992-1995 OBD1 donor car then it would be the best way to go with OBD1. If you already spent a lot of money getting all the OBD1 parts for your OBD2 donor engine then keep it OBD1.
                                If your donor car is OBD2 then it would be better to stay with OBD2 with your E30 swap. This way it will be cheaper to stay with OBD2 than to look and spend time and money getting all the OBD1 parts.

Siemens MS41.1(OBD2) DME is better and more powerful unit than Bosch 3.3(OBD1). There are many features that MS41.1 does better like: More precise ignition timing because on M52/S52 crank sensor is mounted on the block and reads directly off the crankshaft, while OBD1 reads the timing from the front pulley and timing teeth are mounted on the rubber harmonic balancer that vibrates and not better than solid tooth gear mounted inside the engine on the crankshaft, more precise injection with ability to turn off each injector if the coil goes bad on that cylinder to prevent fuel flood, bigger injectors, running loss valve with remote fuel pressure regulator, helps reduce fuel vapor and temperature, better on board diagnostics. Quality knock sensors that never go bad. And more…

OBD2 conversion does not cost more money than OBD1 conversion. Lets say you bought the M52 engine and want to buy all the OBD1 parts, the first problem is knock sensors are expensive and you need two of them, used ones are not good because most of them crack, they are very poor quality. Plus you will need a tune for that red 413 ecu for your M52, so just the cost of those two parts will pay for quality OBD2 dme flash for your swap.

With a proper OBD2 MS41.1 ecu flash your OBD2 engine management will be the same as if you were installing obd1 engine management. DME can be programmed so that it does not look for these emissions components and not
                                throw a check engine light:

You will NOT need to run/have super heavy OBD2 dual catalyst converters nor the rear oxygen sensors! OBD2 ecu can be flashed so that only runs on two 02 sensors that are in the exhaust manifolds, or it can even be programmed like OBD1 just to run on one 02 sensor.

You will NOT need to run/have SAP air pump, nor the SAP valve, just weld the manifolds or use block plate, or simply run aftermarket header system.

You will NOT need to run/have fuel tank pressure sensor, nor charcoal canister valve, nor exhaust muffler flap solenoid

SAP pump purple relay will need to be there, but it already comes on the OBD2 harness already so just keep it there, do not plug in any other relay there or you will burn the harness.

SAP valve vacuum solenoid will need to be plugged in, but It already comes installed on your M52 so just keep it there, if you use the M50 intake manifold then It can be flashed out of the ecu also. Plug the vacuum line in the manifold. Remove the vacuum canister junk.

Remote fuel pressure regulator with running loss valve is a form of an upgrade, run it if you can, it reduces the fuel temperature, and fuel vapor bubbles, saves you fuel, or it also can be flashed out of the ecu.
                                You will use the OBD2 purge valve that is located under throttle body, and just run the line to your E30 charcoal canister output

No need for ASC/ABS signals connected to the ECU

EWS can be turned off and you don’t need to have any of the EWS junk components, no need to cut any wires. If you want EWS then use the EWS junk and let it just control the starter for anti theft protection. E30/E36 locks are not easy to crack, so the need for EWS is just an overkill

There are few OBD2 tuners in the US, but I can only speak of what I can tune and code, so if you have any questions please private message me. I have plenty of OBD2 ecu units ready to roll, no need send me anything, keep your own obd2 ecu, sell it along with the matching ews junk on ebay and use the money to buy quality flashed ms41.1 and it almost comes out free cost at the end.

You can just wire the OBD2 plug to your 20 pin diagnostic connector under the hood so that you can check the codes with regular obd2 scanner, no need to run the wires all the way inside the car.

These photos are to show you what I am talking about:

EWS2 module plug, bridge starter wires if you have E36

SAP pump relay leave it plugged in, comes on the OBD2 harness anyway

SAP valve solenoid, leave it there, just plug the vacuum port on the manifold

3 way running loss valve, it is an upgrade, run it if you can, it is small and compact, fits anywhere

Post cat. 02 sensors, you don’t need them, but if you want to run dual cats then just run them

Fuel pressure sensor, you don’t need this at all

Carbon canister valve, you do not need this, E30 already had the charcoal canister in the front, and valve is mechanical integrated in the fuel tank.

Muffler flap valve solenoid is flashed out of the ecu.

This is my testing car , with stack of OBD2 ecus ready to be custom flashed with quality tunes. And Tuning/Flashing software. I have the ability to flash any MS41.1 ecu to whatever tune or car, even 528i, make ms41.1 ecu into ms41.2. As long as it says ms41.1 on the side I can do it. MS41.2 is the ms41.1 with different software for S52, just minor difference in the software nothing major. I can make the ms41.1 software work same as ms41.2.

I hope this answered all of your questions,

Last edited by DesertBMW; 08-23-2012, 03:12 PM. Reason: Updated post

Comment

Working...
                                X