Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official OBD1 vs OBD2 argument thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll probably get cricified by those who I have chastised before for wanting to OBD1 swap but...

I have an M52 going into my already swapped car that I hooked up OBD1. I'm saving to go to school and just skating along financially as it is, and to simply use the existing harness on my car without having to flash the DME or buy/make a repinned harness is my best option.

All things being equal I still agree it's best to keep OBD2 if you've got it but I don't feel too bad about back-grading my new motor for the sake of time and money. The plan is to have this motor be just a stop-gap until I get where I want to be in other areas and can get the s54 I really want, anyway.
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

I'm glad to have found this thread; is everything still accurate/relevant in 2019?

Currently building a badass coffee table
      Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

pretty much stay OBD2 if your engine is OBD2.

The only real difference now is that flashing software and tuning software/definitions files are way more available now. Romraider is well defined for M52 and S52 files so you can delete things like EWS, post-cat O2 sensors, and SAP with a few hours of reading their forum and getting everything installed/working.

If you want to pay someone to do the above, it's cheaper than ever to do so (which is cheaper than buying OBD1 sensors/harness/413 Red label DME)

Wiring is no harder either way, Kadunza's facebook page has nice pictures of connector pinouts for almost all X20/C101 connectors, but they're buried like 100+ pictures back, you just need to scroll.

It's also pretty easy to dress the engine and identify which connectors you don't need and pull each run out of the harness completely if you want (ex. SAP, post-cat O2. May vary depending on local emissions laws).
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          pretty much stay OBD2 if your engine is OBD2.

The only real difference now is that flashing software and tuning software/definitions files are way more available now. Romraider is well defined for M52 and S52 files so you can delete things like EWS, post-cat O2 sensors, and SAP with a few hours of reading their forum and getting everything installed/working.

If you want to pay someone to do the above, it's cheaper than ever to do so (which is cheaper than buying OBD1 sensors/harness/413 Red label DME)

Wiring is no harder either way, Kadunza's facebook page has nice pictures of connector pinouts for almost all X20/C101 connectors, but they're buried like 100+ pictures back, you just need to scroll.

It's also pretty easy to dress the engine and identify which connectors you don't need and pull each run out of the harness completely if you want (ex. SAP, post-cat O2. May vary depending on local emissions laws).

https://www.facebook.com/kadunza/pho...393173/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/kadunza/pho...728171/?type=3
          1990 325is
          m52b28
          3.73lsd
          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Working...
          X