What's Your M50 or S50 E30 Mpg??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TeXJ
    replied
    Im with you, my m52b28 swapped car with a 3.73 rear, g260 I'm getting about 16ish.

    Leave a comment:


  • thedentonmare
    replied
    Yikes... my car is a dual purpose occassional street car/HPDE car.. S52 with riot racing cams + 5 spd ZF + 3.73 diff I get average around 15 MPG.

    Either i can't keep my foot out of it, or somethings wrong. Me being gentle I've barely been able to eek out 17 mpg, and typically i'm seeing 12-13mpg.

    Leave a comment:


  • grizstiles
    replied
    Just got done with a road trip with 2 other people in the car and it was full of stuff. One fill up I got 32mpg (80mph) and the second fill up we trailed behind someone at like 90-95 for two and a half hours. Got 30 mpg that time.

    S52, Getrag 260, and a 2.93

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimmian89
    replied
    S52B32 OBD1 2:93 LSD

    Highway is ~27
    City is ~ 24-26

    Leave a comment:


  • e30rapidic
    replied
    S50 with pink top injectors, 3.5 intake, headers, TRM tune, zf and 2.93 = 27.9 mpg @75

    with the 3.46 I was getting like 15. Which is still better than my F150!

    Leave a comment:


  • hwy84
    replied
    91 325i sedan - full weight - S50B30 - 3.73

    Average MPG over last 1200 miles...

    ...20

    Poor!

    But due to where I live I have to drive at least 10 miles down a twisty canyon road before I can even get to a freeway, and at least 10 miles back up whenever I come home.

    And, I also have to drive as hard as possible in those 10 miles, because, I mean, who wants tires to last more than 3500 miles? The could get stale, or moldy, or something if you leave them on too long. ;)

    So, you know, that probably doesn't help on the ol' fuel economy tip.

    Leave a comment:


  • MR E30 325is
    replied
    S52, ZF, 2.93

    Drove to Monterey Bay last month, averaged 32mpg over the whole 1600 miles.

    Car just received an entire assortment of new parts, plus the alignment is spot on.

    I was very impressed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cyrix2k
    replied
    bumping this
    Originally posted by BBDirtbiking
    I can't believe people are running a 2.93 with a G240 or a G260... Haha.
    I want the tall gearing for when I go turbo. My '85 was fantastic with a turbo M20B27, G260, and 2.79 LSD. I later swapped to an M50NV & G250 - once again, it has plenty of power. Unfortunately, the '91 is a total dog with the NA M50NV :(
    Originally posted by nando
    I dunno, it's a wierd obsession with overly tall gears IMO. what's the point of being able to do 75-85mph in 2nd gear? I don't *want* to downshift to pass people. :p
    M50NV + G240 + 2.79 LSD here. I didn't realize the G240 had an overdriven 5th gear when I swapped in the 2.79... Anyway, mileage is coming in around 26-29 mpg combined cycle. Last fillup average 26.6 mpg (245 miles / 9.2 gallons) with a lot of stop & go in the mix.

    The G240 will be leaving the car once I get to the turbo stage of the project, but I'm thinking about going with a six speed now because that OD is nice on the highway.

    Leave a comment:


  • VinniE30
    replied
    Originally posted by DisgustipatedAP1
    Check this post out: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4&postcount=35

    Apparently older ones had horrible aero, the late bodies were really good, and the M3 was phenomenal. So I guess my E30 isn't as bad as I think it is.
    Actually, E30 aerodynamics are pretty good.
    Drag area is a better way to measure how aerodynamic a car is because it takes into account both the drag coefficient and the a car's frontal area. This is what Car and Driver uses to compare cars aerodynamics.

    The late model e30 has a drag area of 6.63 sqft. Early models are a little worse. E30M3 is in between.


    So the E30 actually has a good drag area. Better than e36 or the e90!
    Last edited by VinniE30; 08-03-2012, 11:02 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • DisgustipatedAP1
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    where'd you get .38? is that for a non-sport model? diving board eta?

    I've seen anywhere from .34-.35 for a 325is (late body). the trunk spoiler actually decreases drag by about 2% according to BMW.

    you can laugh but BMW did actually wind tunnel test the later E30s.
    Check this post out: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4&postcount=35

    Apparently older ones had horrible aero, the late bodies were really good, and the M3 was phenomenal. So I guess my E30 isn't as bad as I think it is.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fusion
    replied
    22mpg / highway, city, and 30mins of full throttle at the track

    Leave a comment:


  • SHunter
    replied
    Update:
    I took a road trip a couple of weeks ago, Portland->San Francisco, SF->Trinity Lakes, and back home. The car was pretty loaded with camping gear plus the two of us but nothing on the roof. Best tank 33mpg and worst 31mpg. That includes a little bit of driving in the city too! I was seeing 350-380miles between fill ups. We drove 70-75mph most of the time including over the passes. Last time I did this trip was with the m20 and I would have to downshift a lot in the mountains, not an issue anymore. More power and better mileage is tough to beat.

    -SH

    Leave a comment:


  • golde30
    replied
    S52 obd1, 21.5lb inj, 3.5MAF, eBay SS header, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, getrag260 w/3.73. Got 26mpg on my last 1600mi road trip@ 75mph.

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    Originally posted by VinniE30
    The size of the tank does not affect gas mileage. Unless you count the negligible factor of both having a full tank and the larger tank carrying slightly more weight. Things like driving style, mods, and what people consider to be city/mixed/highway and other factors are what account for the differences.
    So why would it matter if it was previously a 318is in terms of gas mileage?
    I guess I'm curious to see how much mileage you can squeeze outta the tank.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    I dunno, it's a wierd obsession with overly tall gears IMO. what's the point of being able to do 75-85mph in 2nd gear? I don't *want* to downshift to pass people. :p

    Leave a comment:

Working...