Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS delete or keep

Hey everyone

I working on my second 24v swap on my 89 325is.
    I have already deleted cruise and ac becuase they are useless
    I am doing a full engine bay shave and wire tuck including the fusebox. the car has abs and want to know if what everyone thought about whether it was worth keeping the abs and relocating the module or just simply deleting it. Main concern is that it would hurt it when i go to sell the car.
    Delete
    33.85%
    Keep
    66.15%

so put it back in when you resell it. If you aren't planning on keeping the car though, why do all this work? If you are set on a swap and later find a buyer for your shaved, swapped e30, they won't care about the abs.

Comment

I would honestly keep the ABS. If you shave the brackets, it will be harder to reinstall, though.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

ABS delete will really hurt you for resale and it's a bad idea. See white325is' car for a nice example of why - he spent a LOT of money completely restoring a car, and then "it just slid" when he hit the brakes after some jackass pulled in front of him. The fact that it was technically the other guy's fault is pretty cold comfort when your $25k E30 just got totaled.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          The fact that it was technically the other guy's fault is pretty cold comfort when your $25k E30 just got totaled.
          and the fact you'd have to fight your ass off to even get $5k back.
          Originally posted by blunttech
          Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Check with your insurance company before you delete a factory safety feature.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Flat spot a couple of tires and you'll wish you had ABS back. I even have ABS in my race car, it's surprisingly unobtrusive.
              sigpic
              -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

I have an 84 with a s50 and no abs never had a problem. I mainly do all this work because i like to do it. If i keep theABS i want to try to relocate it to directly below where it sits now. does any one know if it matters if its upside down?

Comment

Keep it

It makes nearly no sense to make a car accelerate faster, and at the same time make it decelerate worse.

If all you are going to do is drag race the car - then ABS is not necessary.

If you are autocrossing, tracking, or doing any other form of spirited driving where you have to brake hard to go faster, you very likely want ABS.

If there is a baby stroller within 200 miles of where you live, you want ABS. It's not a great deal to have a light fast car, and then murder a baby because you wanted a clean engine bay. It's also no fun to murder yourself because you "locked them up" when some clown turned left in front of you and you ended up with "F150" embossed on your forehead.

Just my opinion of course, but based on experience... (not the stroller part...)

I race two e30 325is - one with, and one without abs. I am good at threshold braking. My lap times are basically identical in either car, without traffic. Put me in traffic, where unexpected things happen, and the ABS car is faster, saves money on tires, gives me more line choices, and helps me pass.

Plus, fewer strollers mowed down to and from the track.

Win.

Sadly, I don't know if it will do jack for resale either way, since most people don't put a value on things they don't understand. Most folks never brake hard enough to know what ABS is until they need it, and they don't have it.
                  Current:
                  1991 325i Sedan - S50 Swap
                  1988 325i Cabrio

Past:
                  1991 M3
                  1991 318is
                  1985 325e

Comment

if its working, leave it alone, if it doesnt work, shitcan it. that is all....
                    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by hwy84 View Post
                      It makes nearly no sense to make a car accelerate faster, and at the same time make it decelerate worse.

If all you are going to do is drag race the car - then ABS is not necessary.

If you are autocrossing, tracking, or doing any other form of spirited driving where you have to brake hard to go faster, you very likely want ABS.

If there is a baby stroller within 200 miles of where you live, you want ABS. It's not a great deal to have a light fast car, and then murder a baby because you wanted a clean engine bay. It's also no fun to murder yourself because you "locked them up" when some clown turned left in front of you and you ended up with "F150" embossed on your forehead.

Just my opinion of course, but based on experience... (not the stroller part...)

I race two e30 325is - one with, and one without abs. I am good at threshold braking. My lap times are basically identical in either car, without traffic. Put me in traffic, where unexpected things happen, and the ABS car is faster, saves money on tires, gives me more line choices, and helps me pass.

Plus, fewer strollers mowed down to and from the track.

Win.

Sadly, I don't know if it will do jack for resale either way, since most people don't put a value on things they don't understand. Most folks never brake hard enough to know what ABS is until they need it, and they don't have it.
                      I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me how you can threshold brake the front left, front right, and rear wheels independently without ABS.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I lol'd

ABS delete = baby killer
                        Originally posted by blunttech
                        Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Originally posted by giantkeeper View Post
                          I lol'd

ABS delete = baby killer
                          ABS delete is also bad for puppies.
                          Current:
                          1991 325i Sedan - S50 Swap
                          1988 325i Cabrio

Past:
                          1991 M3
                          1991 318is
                          1985 325e

Comment

delete it. You can make more money for parts when you part it out for rear ending a bus.
                            '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Seriously, this is a dumb f-ing question. I'm glad r3v exist for reasons like this. Leave the ABS alone!
                              My 1991 325i Cabrio Build

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227529

Comment

Working...
                              X