Any swap shop recommendations?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Xat1cZ
    replied
    anything with V-tec.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrSlacker
    replied
    We just finished a swap on the cheap - customer provided an S50 that he got for $1500 and we provided everything else. Ended up costing total $6500 (shop bill was $5000 + $1500 for motor). This was with re-using M20 exhaust and not doing a lot of maintenance.

    Leave a comment:


  • sharky
    replied
    And he is also on other side of country. 2500 is cheap after considering all the swap parts, exhaust and then labor.

    Leave a comment:


  • EDirtyZ
    replied
    RGMW will do the whole thing with all the swap parts if you provide the engine and trans. his name is Ryan G. and will do it all for 2500

    Leave a comment:


  • sharky
    replied
    We are doing a S50 E30 at our shop right now and with a customer supplied engine and trans all complete was 2K add in all the swap parts, exhaust, labor little odds and ends, some maintainence etc and his shop bill is close to 4k and will prob just touch over it all said and done. This was us sourcing all swap parts, installing them all, removing M20, fabbing wire harness etc. He got a great deal on a complete engine with everything he needed in good condition so that helped out. I think 6-8K is where you should be, I would love to do your swap but since you are in NJ Levent is your local Guru.

    Leave a comment:


  • essi1553
    replied
    Originally posted by ACHTUNG
    I don't think you'll save much if you stay OBD2 since there aren't a lot of tuning options. Reflashing your ECU still comes at a cost and if your motor doesn't come with all of the sensors you'll have to source them. You may save a bit of dough but I can't say how much.

    You don't need a $1K exhaust system. Some have done a custom exhaust for around $500-$600.

    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...hlight=exhaust
    I'm aiming to get major engine parts out of running vehicle with all the sensor and accessories attached. I figure a flash is a most effective solution as I dont plan on racing or driving the car excessively hard. I think that was about 250-350 in itself. I know very little of exhaust options except that I would need to run at least 2 o2 sensors to be legal in NJ i believe, and im not looking for anything obnoxious, just clean sturdy and at this point cost effective.

    I didnt notice that thread before, its a great resource, thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30polak
    replied
    Originally posted by MR 325
    I would highly recommend talking to Levent at Guten Parts about doing your swap. He's a great guy and one of the most trustworthy and honest people in the business.
    x 1,000,000!!! 8)

    Leave a comment:


  • ACHTUNG
    replied
    I don't think you'll save much if you stay OBD2 since there aren't a lot of tuning options. Reflashing your ECU still comes at a cost and if your motor doesn't come with all of the sensors you'll have to source them. You may save a bit of dough but I can't say how much.

    You don't need a $1K exhaust system. Some have done a custom exhaust for around $500-$600.

    Last edited by ACHTUNG; 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • essi1553
    replied
    Originally posted by ACHTUNG
    This is a good thread to read regarding OBD1 vs. OBD2:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...highlight=OBD2
    Thats the thread that got my interest into an obd2 swap, and just the fact that ill be able to diagnosis some of the issues that will occur with the car, eventually.

    Everyone's be very helpful here and thank you all for that, theres simply too much info for me to accurately decipher whats the proper route. I never would have anticipated a $1000 exhaust system for this swap... and these are the costs that get outta control.

    Leave a comment:


  • ACHTUNG
    replied
    Originally posted by MrSlacker
    24V swap requires a custom made mid section.
    This is true

    Leave a comment:


  • MrSlacker
    replied
    Originally posted by essi1553
    I am not in a rush, but im looking at rollers or specfic well body'ed 88+ e30's. There are two I am really interested in now but holding the shell and waiting for the motor setup is always an option.

    I am least worried about the exhaust, just something legal that will pass inspection. Ill change that stuff later in my driveway.

    Your proposal sounds interesting, would you have everything I would need for the swap? Including an actual shop to do the work in?
    24V swap requires a custom made mid section. Rouge is working on a bolt in version right now, but its in $1000 range and not yet available. Therefore its something that should be done correctly from beginning.

    PM'ed you more details

    Leave a comment:


  • essi1553
    replied
    Originally posted by MrSlacker
    $8000 is somewhat realistic price. It depends if you are in a rush or not - can you wait to find a good deal on a motor or do you want to do it ASAP and just buy whatever you find now. Then things like amount of maintenance, type of chip, OBDI or II and other misc items will dictate the price. Do you want a fancy exhaust or something that just works, what kind of catback?

    You should estimate around $6000-$7000 for parts and motor, not including labor to do it right. If you are not in a rush, I can help you. I also have a 88K miles S52 that we can swap for you so it would be a one stop shopping for you.
    I am not in a rush, but im looking at rollers or specfic well body'ed 88+ e30's. There are two I am really interested in now but holding the shell and waiting for the motor setup is always an option.

    I am least worried about the exhaust, just something legal that will pass inspection. Ill change that stuff later in my driveway.

    Your proposal sounds interesting, would you have everything I would need for the swap? Including an actual shop to do the work in?

    Leave a comment:


  • ACHTUNG
    replied
    Originally posted by essi1553
    Do you feel I can offset most of these costs by running the car OBD2, or that actually a more expensive route?

    I know the oil pan is required for clearance, but maybe I could avoid about $1000 just not doing the obd2-obd1 swap, with less issues in the future.
    This is a good thread to read regarding OBD1 vs. OBD2:

    Leave a comment:


  • MrSlacker
    replied
    $8000 is somewhat realistic price. It depends if you are in a rush or not - can you wait to find a good deal on a motor or do you want to do it ASAP and just buy whatever you find now. Then things like amount of maintenance, type of chip, OBDI or II and other misc items will dictate the price. Do you want a fancy exhaust or something that just works, what kind of catback?

    You should estimate around $6000-$7000 for parts and motor, not including labor to do it right. If you are not in a rush, I can help you. I also have a 88K miles S52 that we can swap for you so it would be a one stop shopping for you.

    Leave a comment:


  • essi1553
    replied
    Originally posted by ACHTUNG
    Sent you an email with the spreadsheet.

    It's amazing how quickly the parts list grows due to the "while you're in there" effect.
    Wow, just wow... Thanks for this, more than I could ever ask for. IT must purrr beautifully.

    I'm going through your upgrades to try and get a base, even though I see your labor cost (which probably includes the labor for all the upgrades the shop installed). Do you feel I can offset most of these costs by running the car OBD2, or that actually a more expensive route?

    I know the oil pan is required for clearance, but maybe I could avoid about $1000 just not doing the obd2-obd1 swap, with less issues in the future.

    Thank you very much for this!

    Leave a comment:

Working...