Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting new tune, get 3.5" MAF while I'm at it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting new tune, get 3.5" MAF while I'm at it?

Currently running an s52 MAF on my s50 swap. I'm going to be purchasing a new tune from TRM since I will be picking up 21.5# injectors and will be getting a tune for my current setup (intake, LW FW, 21.5#, 91 oct.)

Should I just pick up a 3.5" MAF while I'm at it and add it to the tune since adding it to the current tune I will be purchasing is no additional cost?

-Kyle

yes, its an upgrade.

Comment

no, it really isn't.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm too lazy to pull them up but if you go on bf.c, there are TONs of discussion concerning the 3.5" maf. Might want to read those and base your decision on that. After reading those personally, I'm convinced it's not much of an upgrade.
        2008 335i - n54b30
        1991 318i - m52b28
        1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

some say yes, some say no. Some do it just to add to the mod list in their sig.

I found one at a junkyard for $25 so why not
          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

I have one if you decide you want one. I'll sell it to you for cheap dollars. $30 shipped.
            1989 US E30 Cammed S52
            Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

I have some injectors for you if you need them.
              CHEAP REBUILT INJECTORS

Need Quality Brakes? BimmerBrakes has it!
              For anything Else go with BluntTech!

Comment

Doesn't hurt anything but not an upgrade that will give you noticeable gains unless you cam it out and install some 24# injectors.

Comment

honest tuners will tell you, it makes no difference, but they still sell them because people want it anyway.

"mod list status yo"
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    honest tuners will tell you, it makes no difference, but they still sell them because people want it anyway.

"mod list status yo"
                    I tune both OBD1 and OBD2 ecus and I always tell people don't waste your money on 3.5" MAF and bigger injectors.

Comment

Pm'd you about a possible trade.
                      http://importmotorsparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                        I tune both OBD1 and OBD2 ecus and I always tell people don't waste your money on 3.5" MAF and bigger injectors.
                        Would you say there's any danger in running a 3.5" MAF with a 3" tune?

The reason I ask is because the PO of my car threw in a 3.5" just before I purchased it. Mike at TRM mentioned some fuel trims (I think) would be a little off. The car runs great, but if it could run even stronger I'd certainly spring for a retune.

I do plan to put some shricks into the S52 next summer.

Anyhow, I'm just about to send the chip off to TRM for a 3.5" tune unless it would be a total waste of time...

ZF320 | M50 Mani | TRM + 21.5lb Injectors + 3.5in MAF | E36 M3 Rack/Driveshaft | Megan Coilovers | 002R/452's
                        In the works: UUC Evo 3/DSSR, JB Racing lightweight Flywheel, Shrick cams, BBK (yet to be determined)
                        I NEED A WINGLESS AW TRUNK LID PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE!

Comment

Bump for opinions on running a 3.5" maf with a 3" tune?

ZF320 | M50 Mani | TRM + 21.5lb Injectors + 3.5in MAF | E36 M3 Rack/Driveshaft | Megan Coilovers | 002R/452's
                          In the works: UUC Evo 3/DSSR, JB Racing lightweight Flywheel, Shrick cams, BBK (yet to be determined)
                          I NEED A WINGLESS AW TRUNK LID PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE!

Comment

Don't run a 3" MAF with a 3.5" tune. It'll run pig rich.
                            sigpic
                            1990 325i

Comment

Working...
                            X