No announcement yet.

Let's talk cooling fans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted in the fan wiring thread and realized it's a wrong thread to post so let me do it again here:

Did anyone replace the aux fan with the Spal 14" pusher? I wonder if I can utilize the stock mounting hardware.
    90 E30 S50B30
    http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
      Keep the parasites off your fancy engine.
      Just in case anyone listened to this guy... electrical fans are parasitic just like mechanical fans. You don't get free energy just because it is electric... that energy still must be created by adding load to the engine.

I realize that this is pretty common knowledge, but if this dude is that oblivious, maybe other people are too.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
        that fan is wrong, by the look of it, it will push air instead of pull. look at the blades, the are shapped the wrong way. any cooling issues?

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
          iI completely eliminated my AC and running 16 spal pusher. works great. In the Seattle area AC is just a luxury and since my e30 is a vert is already has built in AC, the cool seatle air.
          What's everyone else doing? Running A/C with a 16" SPAL pusher fan? If so, which model of 16" fan do you run (i.e. part number, as there are 4 different options, all with different thicknesses)? Thanks for your help.

Chris
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Get a curved-blade with the most CFM available

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              Get a curved-blade with the most CFM available
              More concerned with how big a fan I can stick in front of the condenser. There are 4 options of depth of SPAL fan, ranging from 2.5ish to 3.5ish inches. Any idea?

Chris
              Last edited by FreedS4; 12-05-2012, 06:42 PM.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by FreedS4 View Post
                More concerned with how big a fan I can stick in front of the condenser. There are 4 options of depth of SPAL fan, ranging from 2.5ish to 3.ish inches. Any idea?

Chris
                Interested in this as well. My 14" autozone fan is not up to the task of AC.

Comment

Top fan - 2.05" thickness
                  Second - 2.48"
                  Third - 3.39"
                  Last - 3.39"

Not a HUGE difference in thickness, but enough to make me want to double check what people are successfully running, before I pull the trigger on getting mine.

Chris

Comment

I believe I have the 2047. You DO NOT want the 2047. Edit: and yes, I have AC in the car.

Comment

I used this set up. stk 325 radiator/condenser, M50.
                      check amazon

make sure to allow clearance between fan and radiator for blade flex 3/8" or so

Last edited by 36brua; 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM.
                      My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by nmlss2006 View Post
                        I believe I have the 2047. You DO NOT want the 2047. Edit: and yes, I have AC in the car.
                        Care to explain?

Comment

Very simple: it's their straight blade, high output fan. It makes enough noise to be significantly louder than the S52 up to 1500 RPM or so. No, I am not exaggerating. If you want to turn everyone's head at every stoplight, it's a great idea! Otherwise, not so much.

Comment

Comment

Yes, that's a much better choice. I run the same switch, though I made the circuit myself instead of buying the SPAL fan. BTW, the fans can be bought significantly cheaper on ebay (same SPAL fans). I paid $85 for mine, shipped. And confirmed, it is 2047 / 30102047 / VA18-AP70/LL-86S * 16"S/12V . Yes, as the backpressure goes up - which it will when you're blowing against two radiators - it moves 30-50% more air, but it's not worth it even remotely. Go with Corvallis' unit.
                              Last edited by nmlss2006; 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Awesome link/write-up about your fan setup. I'll definitely be going with the 2048 and the SPAL resistor. Thanks again!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X