No announcement yet.

S50 swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys quick question. Do I use the lower or upper plug for the aux fan switch? Using an e36 rad so its on the opposite side and only has one switch unlike my e30 one which has 2 on driver side. I'm guessing the top one which is white like the new 80* switch.

s50 86 325e Project

S50 - BBS - Recaro - BC Coilovers - Morimoto H1 Retrofit

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by yahh View Post
      Hey guys quick question. Do I use the lower or upper plug for the aux fan switch? Using an e36 rad so its on the opposite side and only has one switch unlike my e30 one which has 2 on driver side. I'm guessing the top one which is white like the new 80* switch.
      bump

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

bump

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

up

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

These are the ones in question. Which one goes on the aux fan switch?

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Bump, anyone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

check the ETM for your car.

wedophones.com

Comment

Still need answer to this also when putting the CSB on the drive shaft , how would you put it on "backwards" and which way is which? My stock one was welded on one side and bolted on the other to the chassis :???:

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Bump?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Bump anyone? Scared of.overheating the car by not having the right one hooked up...

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Still need answer to this also when putting the CSB on the drive shaft , how would you put it on "backwards" and which way is which? My stock one was welded on one side and bolted on the other to the chassis :???:
                        I don't remember which way is with but here's the principal:
                        The main thing is that you need to keep your driveshaft straight. if you look at the way the gearbox is sitting you will notice that the output shaft is off center compared to the center of the driveshaft tunnel. Also if you look at the CSB the bearing is also off center on the bracket that secures it on the chassis. The trick is that ZF has the output shaft on the opposite side so the CBS needs to be shifted to the opposite side as well. easiest way to achieve this is to mount it backwards (turned 180 degrees) so the side that originally faced forward now faces backwards. Just look at the output shaft and whichever side it's on that's the way you need to mount the CBS. If you f\/ck it up (like i did) then your DS won't be straight but you will notice it right away. Not the end of the world though. You can take it off and turn it around.

Comment

I don't know why you have 2 plugs. i'm guessing there were 2 separate switches in your radiator. 1 for each speed. My car is '90 and it has the newer type switch like the 36's have. That is actually 2 switches in 1 so you need to splice them both together. I can check tomorrow which pin is what on the switch if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
                            I don't remember which way is with but here's the principal:
                            The main thing is that you need to keep your driveshaft straight. if you look at the way the gearbox is sitting you will notice that the output shaft is off center compared to the center of the driveshaft tunnel. Also if you look at the CSB the bearing is also off center on the bracket that secures it on the chassis. The trick is that ZF has the output shaft on the opposite side so the CBS needs to be shifted to the opposite side as well. easiest way to achieve this is to mount it backwards (turned 180 degrees) so the side that originally faced forward now faces backwards. Just look at the output shaft and whichever side it's on that's the way you need to mount the CBS. If you f\/ck it up (like i did) then your DS won't be straight but you will notice it right away. Not the end of the world though. You can take it off and turn it around.
                            Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
                            I don't know why you have 2 plugs. i'm guessing there were 2 separate switches in your radiator. 1 for each speed. My car is '90 and it has the newer type switch like the 36's have. That is actually 2 switches in 1 so you need to splice them both together. I can check tomorrow which pin is what on the switch if you need it.
                            Thanks bro! Gotcha on the DS part. I think I did it wrong as I just seperated the DS removed the e36 CSB and put on the e30 csb the same way. I'll double check when I go to put it on. My eta has 2 switches and had 2 on the radiator. One was red and one white I believe, so I just need to splice pos together and the 2 grounds together and make 1 switch? I'm running an 80deg thermostat and the aux switch thats recommended in the "aux fan thread"

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Thanks bro! Gotcha on the DS part. I think I did it wrong as I just seperated the DS removed the e36 CSB and put on the e30 csb the same way. I'll double check when I go to put it on. My eta has 2 switches and had 2 on the radiator. One was red and one white I believe, so I just need to splice pos together and the 2 grounds together and make 1 switch? I'm running an 80deg thermostat and the aux switch thats recommended in the "aux fan thread"
                              no worries!

if you put the e30 CSB the same way the e36 one was on it then you should be ok but double check for sure.

one of the switches was for low fan speed and the other for fast fan speed. obviously the low speed kicked in first and when the engine got even hotter the fast one. on the e36 they incorporated the 2 switches into 1 housing but it still does the same thing. it has 3 prongs -> +12v in, low speed out, fast speed out. if i remember correctly the low speed kicks in at 91 degrees and the fast one at 98 stock but the 80/88 is recommended for the swap if you don't use the mechanical fan. i don't know which pin is what but i could figure it out for you on mine. you could short the pins in your connectors to see which one is for the fast and low speed. then take the +12v wire from one of the connectors (you don't need both because 99% sure that they are coming from the same spot) and the low and fast speed wires that go to the fan. you could also check the wire colors by the aux fan. the one that goes straight to the fan is the fast speed and the one that goes through the resistor is the slow.
                              Last edited by treff-7; 05-16-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Bump

My temperature gauge is not working. I believe everything is hooked up correctly and i'm running the temp sensor that came with the s50. I checked the actual cluster by plugging it into my dads car and it was fine. Any ideas?

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X