Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24v Swap Nugget Thread - Drop yours here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drummerchubbs
    replied
    Another question, I have a 92 e36 auto. Will that radiator work? I know I need the 88+ e30 expansion tank but I'm unsure about the auto part of the radiator.

Leave a comment:

• drummerchubbs
    replied
    Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
    Don't get any of their 8 pound ones . I just ordered a 14lb one and stage 2 for like $450 shipped with their coupon.
    I was about to order but I got a call from the guy I'm buying the trans and he had an "almost new" clutch and flywheel set up too. I'm just gonna run that. Any reason not too?

Leave a comment:

• TimKninja
    replied
    Originally posted by drummerchubbs View Post
    This is AMAZING news! Thanks. Great prices. I'm running a stock set-up with no plans to make major mods. I'm thinking about the Gripforce OE Clutch Kit and Chromoly Flywheel. I want stock clutch feel. Couple more follow up questions:

1) Will this make the engagement really low like some other people are experiencing?
    2) Will getting the aluminum lighter flywheel be better for my application?

Thanks...I'm a transmission/flywheel/clutch noob. :(
    Don't get any of their 8 pound ones . I just ordered a 14lb one and stage 2 for like $450 shipped with their coupon.

Leave a comment:

• drummerchubbs
    replied
    Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
    Gripforce Clutches

You can get a whole LTW Flywheel, and clutch setup for under $500
    This is AMAZING news! Thanks. Great prices. I'm running a stock set-up with no plans to make major mods. I'm thinking about the Gripforce OE Clutch Kit and Chromoly Flywheel. I want stock clutch feel. Couple more follow up questions:

1) Will this make the engagement really low like some other people are experiencing?
    2) Will getting the aluminum lighter flywheel be better for my application?

Thanks...I'm a transmission/flywheel/clutch noob. :(

Leave a comment:

• shiboujin
    replied
    I've searched around and can't find consistant info. I have a m50nv that was an auto. I found a zf tranny that I want to use but I don;t know what flywheel and clutch to use. I want a good DD with ocasional drift sessions. Can you please help me out?
    Doesn't matter. You simply need a matching starter/clutch/flywheel/throw out bearing combo. You need the pilot bearing from a ZF and slave cylinder to match.

Leave a comment:

• TimKninja
    replied
    I've searched around and can't find consistant info. I have a m50nv that was an auto. I found a zf tranny that I want to use but I don;t know what flywheel and clutch to use. I want a good DD with ocasional drift sessions. Can you please help me out?
    Gripforce Clutches

You can get a whole LTW Flywheel, and clutch setup for under $500

Leave a comment:

• drummerchubbs
    replied

Leave a comment:

• choleaoum
    replied
    Another nugget is if your buying the revshift guibo, make sure you have the open flanged! And not the closed flange, because now I have to either grind to make clearance or change it. I already have the dumb engine in!

And figure out what your going to do regarding fuel pressure regulator, I neglected that.

Leave a comment:

• chris_rai
    replied
    You are getting unresolvable misfire codes ?

don't trust the very clean looking crankshaft and camshaft sensor shielded cable, cut it trought and " surprise " !!

Leave a comment:

• cormier
    replied
    Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    ^first swap i ever did years ago we did this. it was a mother Fer. No lift. Had 4 people pick the car up and set it down over the subframe/engine.
    This sounds fun :p

Leave a comment:

• TimKninja
    replied
    This swap will always cost more then you plan.

If you have the space too buy a whole parts car do it. My s50 swap is almost free after selling off alot of the m3

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
    anybody ever dropped the car onto the subframe instead with the sway removed? I feel like it would be a lot less hassle for the shed-crew. (myself included)
    Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    ^first swap i ever did years ago we did this. it was a mother Fer. No lift. Had 4 people pick the car up and set it down over the subframe/engine.
    I have done it this way even before I had the floor lifts. Use a cherry picker and wrap a strap around the radiator support to pick the car up off the sub-frame and use large jack stands to hold the car up, slide the cradle out from under. Furniture dollies make the job even easier. I pulled a Camaro motor/trans in one afternoon by myself this way - wife had to come help me roll the dolly on the asphalt driveway, over the hump into the garage, though lol.

This was a popular way for us to remove engines from 1993-2003 Camaro/Firebirds.

Now that we have 2 lifts in the shop, we never pull engines out the top. In fact, we don't even take the hoods off for engine swaps/changes :)

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ScHpAnKy
    replied
    Originally posted by choleaoum View Post
    I gotta admit, 100x easier to do it with the transmission still on the engine. Sounds like you just chained it wrong.
    anybody ever dropped the car onto the subframe instead with the sway removed? I feel like it would be a lot less hassle for the shed-crew. (myself included)

Leave a comment:

• choleaoum
    replied
    Originally posted by brianao34 View Post
    Haha, no need for that man. From my experience, and having pulled and installed transmissions after the matter of the fact I would do it later.
    I gotta admit, 100x easier to do it with the transmission still on the engine. Sounds like you just chained it wrong.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X