Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my 24v build, slightly different than the norm. Now with dyno numbers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
    Interesting to see how a stroked AL block handles high RPM harmonics...

Better keep that dual mass on it.
    M54 blocks handle it just fine. Not sure why an aluminum M52 wouldn't.

I picked up an aluminum M52B28 out of a Z3 right before they were about to crush it. Lucked out and picked it up for $500. I have a couple M54 3.0l cranks laying around and I have been thinking of doing the same build for shits and giggles.

Comment

well, m54b30 do have some issues with harmonics at high rpms actually ... the oil pump is braken appart by the vibrations.
      ---E30 320i Hennarot 1984 Sedan---

Comment

Well, went to Europe and had a blast. Got to drive the Ring and see a whole bunch of cool stuff. Now that I am back, I am eager to get back to work. Unfortunately Metric Mechanic hasnt sent my bearings out yet because they didnt have them in stock. Talked to Jim @ MM today and he said by the end of this week/ early next week the machine shop will have them, so hopefully by the end of next week I will have an assembled bottom end. In the mean time I will be getting everything ready to keep the ball rolling. Probably going to finish up the C101 plug next
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Sub'ed. : )
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Word.
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_ar View Post
              well, m54b30 do have some issues with harmonics at high rpms actually ... the oil pump is braken appart by the vibrations.
              Usually its the nut that falls off just like on S50 and S52s.

People who track them have had issues with the harmonic balancer fatiguing but there is an aftermarket solution for that now.

Comment

dropped by the machine shop to chat and see what was up. brought my camera so I snapped some pics. I told them I like to document my builds so they said they would try and take some pics while they boring the block and whatnot. I didnt get any pics of the pistons because they were still in the box.

bareblock1 by 2mAn

bareblock2 by 2mAn

I picked up the Alum block, so light! hahaha I was giddy, it couldnt have been more than 30-40lbs

crank by 2mAn

I also got my quote for tearing down the block, boring, honing, testing, etc and also reassembly and Im paying more for the Metric Mechanic bearings than I am for them to do all this work. Thats a relief! I cant wait to be driving this thing, sadly it wont be until after the E30 Picnic unless a miracle happens
                Last edited by 2mAn; 07-15-2017, 10:44 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

ok, update time. Turner sent S52 pistons so that delayed things another week while waiting for them to ship the correct pistons across the country... another week is going by but I decided to do work on the million other things I needed to do rather than sitting around bitching and moaning.

Biggest thing I am currently tackling has been the wiring harness. Was poking around in the engine bay and low and behold I see the rectangular C101 hiding under the fusebox. Looks like the round C101 was just an adapter. Now I need to order a rectangular C101. No big deal, my list of factory parts order is growing and Im going to wait until I know for sure Ive got 99% of the parts I need. I also solved my S52 exhaust manifold issue. Pics are worth 1000 words, they says so heres a couple pics ...

s52exh-manifolds-welded1 by 2mAn

s52exh-manifolds-welded2 by 2mAn

wiseco-pistons by 2mAn

hopefully the next pic will be an assembled bottom end
                  Last edited by 2mAn; 07-15-2017, 10:46 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Nice work Simon. When do you think all your parts are going to arrive?
                    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                      Nice work Simon. When do you think all your parts are going to arrive?
                      well, I thought everything would've been ready to go by now, but it seems that TMS didnt have the pistons. They told me they would be shipping them directly from Wiseco, but what they failed to tell me (that I found out today by calling) was that Wiseco needed to forge them first and they wouldnt be getting shipped until the end of the month. Needless to say, Im furious, but it is what it is and I will just have to work on other things to keep myself busy.:curse:
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                        Usually its the nut that falls off just like on S50 and S52s.

People who track them have had issues with the harmonic balancer fatiguing but there is an aftermarket solution for that now.
                        Slap a lightweight fly on your M54/M52TU and take it to track and romp on it a few sessions.
                        I bet you stuff will start falling off.

IMO it's all about the metals density and harmonic absorption.
                        Originally posted by 325Projectz
                        don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                        :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                          Slap a lightweight fly on your M54/M52TU and take it to track and romp on it a few sessions.
                          I bet you stuff will start falling off.

IMO it's all about the metals density and harmonic absorption.
                          what kind of stuff do you expect to start falling off?

I plan on tracking this car and I want to avoid that from happening. Oil Pump nut will get loctite or welded. Also staying away from the S52 crank.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                            what kind of stuff do you expect to start falling off?

I plan on tracking this car and I want to avoid that from happening. Oil Pump nut will get loctite or welded. Also staying away from the S52 crank.
                            Oil filter housing bolts, intake bolts, bellhousing and starter bolts. Just random things will start just coming loose for no apparent reason was our experience on an 01 325i we manual swapped with a UUC setup. IIRC it was 12lb?

I'm really not a fan of lightweight fly's and light/solid crank pulleys FYI so I am biased.
                            Originally posted by 325Projectz
                            don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                            :nice:

Comment

I'm not a big fan of super lightweight flywheels. I've also seen them eat pressure plate straps and saw through bellhousings. 16-18lbs is the lightest I recommend going. Those 8lb flywheels are ridiculous. Everyone I know that gets one, puts the stock one back on.

You can have a professional crank shop balance the crank, dampener and flywheel / clutch setup as an entire assembly and that will make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                                well, I thought everything would've been ready to go by now, but it seems that TMS didnt have the pistons. They told me they would be shipping them directly from Wiseco, but what they failed to tell me (that I found out today by calling) was that Wiseco needed to forge them first and they wouldnt be getting shipped until the end of the month. Needless to say, Im furious, but it is what it is and I will just have to work on other things to keep myself busy.:curse:
                                Dude that blows.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
                                Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Working...
                                X