Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting torque from M52

Talk to me. Anytime I search all I get are torque specs. :hitler:

I want more low end TQ. HP, meh, not too worried, I'm lugging around 4600lbs with this engine. Up mountains, over rocks, through water, yaddah, yaddah....

Background:

OBD1 M52B28. Retained the OBD2 manifold. Using OBD1 throttle.

Would it be prudent to swap to OBD1 intake mani? S52 cams? Everything seems to decrease torque in favor of high end hp. No forced induction for now, but when I finally figure out a good belt routing I plan on running an Eaton M90.

Also, I'm pretty much stuck with this engine. Nothing else will really fit my application without way too much work (limited by transmission bellhousing options) otherwise this thing would be getting an M60B40.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
    Would it be prudent to swap to OBD1 intake mani? S52 cams? Everything seems to decrease torque in favor of high end hp.
    I've done both of these to mine, though I haven't put it on a dyno to see how much of a difference they made over stock. It's my understanding though that both, as you mentioned, do in fact result in more high end HP while sacrificing some of the low end torque.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Also, I'm pretty much stuck with this engine. Nothing else will really fit my application without way too much work (limited by transmission bellhousing options) otherwise this thing would be getting an M60B40.
      Didn't they have a model that used a BMW V8? What trans is in it? The factory Rover one?
      For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
      Originally posted by mbonanni
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
        Didn't they have a model that used a BMW V8? What trans is in it? The factory Rover one?
        ~2000 Range Rover Sports got the M62B44. That's too new. The trans in mine is a beefed up 4hp22, used up until around 2000 in every Disco/RR. Simple bellhousing swap and BAM, can fit an M52, or M30, or M70. M60 won't fit because they never mated M60s to 4hp22s. Could use a trans from a 740, but then the tail shaft will be different and making the transfer case work will be a pain.

They did use M52s in 1997-2000 South African Defenders.

Took this thing offroading and it just lacked more than I thought it would.

Comment

there is but one solution.

tarbo.

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
            there is but one solution.

tarbo.
            This is what I'm afraid it's going to come down to.

I'm already planning to make a remote oil filter housing (Could buy one for $500, but that's 3/4 what I got this truck for) so I can free up some room for belts to mount an Eaton under the intake.

Still open to easier bolt ons to get more TQ. I feel like a black sheep wanting more TQ and not sacrificing it for HP.

Comment

What is this engine in? Sorry, don't know all the details but sounds interesting.
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                What is this engine in? Sorry, don't know all the details but sounds interesting.
                1993 Range Rover LWB.

Comment

Well under drive pulleys are generally regarded as something that allows less power loss and doesn't sacrifice HP or Tq.
                  For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                  Originally posted by mbonanni
                  I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Yeah, but the theory behind underdrive pulleys is they slow down your accessories, because *theoretically* you're spending so much time at high RPM. I'm not sure they're good for this application.
                    1991 318i SOLD
                    2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

M50 cams? Keep that OBDII intake manifold and don't do S52 cams, they will make less low end power. Pretty much do the opposite of what everyone does to these engines, they looking for the max power at 7000+ RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
                        M50 cams? Keep that OBDII intake manifold and don't do S52 cams, they will make less low end power. Pretty much do the opposite of what everyone does to these engines, they looking for the max power at 7000+ RPM.
                        M50 cams won't fit will they? Don't M52 cams have more or less journals? Or are the cam boxes interchangeable?

Comment

Supercharger. No lag, no BS. Mounds of low-end torque. My dad's old Thunderbird Super Coupe with a SC 3.6L V6 made 315 ft-lbs of torque at like 2200RPM on 9PSI or something.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

S52 bottom end.

Comment

~2000 Range Rover Sports got the M62B44. That's too new. The trans in mine is a beefed up 4hp22, used up until around 2000 in every Disco/RR. Simple bellhousing swap and BAM, can fit an M52, or M30, or M70. M60 won't fit because they never mated M60s to 4hp22s. Could use a trans from a 740, but then the tail shaft will be different and making the transfer case work will be a pain.

They did use M52s in 1997-2000 South African Defenders.

Took this thing offroading and it just lacked more than I thought it would.

The 03 to 05 range rovers had the BMW powerplant. I hated those things. The plastic everything always cooked itself to death, got brittle, and fell apart, and the cats rattled apart, leaked, and threw codes. The sports only ever came with the same Ford based v8 as the lr3/4 v8 and the 06+ full size.

I always rather liked the old pushrod engines they used until the end of the lp38 Range Rover and the d2. Head gaskets where the weak point, but were fairly predictable.

More torque? You can do like one of my former co workers when I worked for a lr dealership, and stuff in a Cummins 4.6 with a twin turbo fab'd up. The thing (d1) had an insane amount of lift, just to get the oil pan to clear the axle.

Comment

Working...
                              X