Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not another E30 M52 swap

Hi all!

I have just received my donor car today(9/8/2015) for my E30 M52B28 swap. I plan to keep the engine OBII with all the emissions attached... California...
    Any advice on getting this swap bar certified will be greatly appreciated. I have also read somewhere on the interweb that the midpipe of the E36 exhaust cannot be modified at all.... is this true for getting the swap barred???
    1990 325i - Current Project
    2007 Triumph Speed Triple 1050

Should cover everything you need to know-

Bar'ing an obd2 motor will be tough. I know there are a thread or two out there of people converting e30's to run full obd2 systems such as ews and other modules. It sum it up pretty well in that thread, but long story short it depends on who inspects your car.
    They might give it a visual and smog test and give you the sticker, or they might put the car on a dyno for an hour while having sensors rigged everywhere, and having you recite part numbers.
    Hope for a chiller, or get a po box in amador county or somewhere that does not require smog! But yeah as far as Cali smog that thread should get you on the right page.
    Good luck with your swap

Comment

Drulle IIRC is his username here. Were helping him get through it :P.

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

You can't modify the e36 down pipes ahead of the cats according to BAR regulations.

Check out my build thread for obd2 swap info.
        Project
        Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by arch4ngel View Post
          You can't modify the e36 down pipes ahead of the cats according to BAR regulations.

Check out my build thread for obd2 swap info.
          What's your idea around it?.. The midpipe is my only concern at the moment.

Comment

I purchased an arc asylum rear sump pan and modified subframe.
            It moves the sway bar to the front of the subframe and replaces the wide middle section with a bar, greatly increasing the area open under the front exhaust manifold.

It may be possible to space out the sway bar but I don't have much time until my next bar appointment and the vendor I contacted about their spacer never bothered to return my calls about fitment.

The arc asylum setup is pricey but when figuring in the benefits it made sense to me.
            Sway bar and and engine mount reinforcements are included in the price, as well as a skid plate (not sure if needed but still a nice addition).
            E36 pans are significantly cheaper than e34 m50 pans.
            No longer fearing for my oil pans safety every time I hit a bump is worth it alone imo.
            Project
            Feedback

Comment

Have you tried removing your front sway bar to gauge fitment? Would subframe risers help?? How would the inspector know the midpipe was modified anyways... he/she can only assume?

I'm sorry for all the questions... I am just very curious.

My goal is to keep my swap cost efficient while abiding the law. If I have to buy pricey custom made parts... I would rather pay essie for that golden, you passed, ticket. lol

Comment

I haven't, I've yet to install the modified subframe and oil pan.
                Moving your sway bar may or may not work, if you try and it works please let us know.

I don't have any pics but it's pretty obvious my pipes were modified. The new pipe and welded bits are shiny and the rest of the exhaust is 18 years old.

IMO getting through the BAR is well worth it. Your car will be 100% legal and will be worth more if you ever decide to sell it.
                Project
                Feedback

Comment

I'll make this my swap thread instead of starting a new one.

Here's the E36 I picked up. Hopefully I can get myself to pull the engine this coming Sunday, 9/27/2015. I also went to harbor freight for a 2 ton hoist.. I could have borrowed one, but I wanted my own.

I went ahead and bought this E34 oil pan set up from Ebay for $224.99. I could have started an adventure at junk yard for it, but I did not feel like doing the work. ;)

Comment

One of the most useful things I have ever bought. $28 at Costco

End result.

Comment

I got the intake headers off and found this - tube not connected to anything. Where does the tube go?

Comment

I think I figured it out. Can I get confirmation on this, please.

Comment

Not sure about the hose issue you're having, but I wish you the best of luck BARing an OBD2 setup. Im on the final step before taking my "OBD1 M50" to the BAR.

Definitely helps that you have the full donor car
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

how is this swap going? I have a obd 1 swap BAR legal and would love a OBD 2 setup (better tuning)

Comment

2mAn,
                              I have high hopes to get this swap Cali smog legal. Yes, it also helps a lot to have the donor car... it's nice not to have to source parts out too much. I wish you the best of luck getting your swap certified! :D

surebimmer,
                              ATM, I am taking my time on it. So far, everything necessary have been disconnected from the E36 excluding the motor mounts and trans brace. I'm consistently putting in 3-4 hours on disassembling the E36. I am also considering transplanting the E36 chassis wiring into the E30... not sure whether I want to go that far. And the only reason I want to keep the M52, OBII w/smog, is to aviod having to pay.. you know... that extra $250 in the pocket goes a long way every other year ;)
                              Last edited by 4DR_Lou; 10-02-2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X