Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M52 Charcoal Can and FPS Install (to pass CA BAR OBD2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by westin View Post
    Thanks for this thread man. I live in LA and i'm about to jump into an M52 swap.
    Thats great Westin. Hope it all goes well!

Comment

I'm not chiming in to say what you did is wrong, as it's a fine solution, but I'm going to pass along a couple alternatives that don't require drilling holes in the car, including one that is super simple. The shut-off valve (vent solenoid) is the part that makes installing the E36 charcoal canister necessary to begin with. So with that in mind, you can simply install an external shut-off valve and keep the E30 charcoal canister. Just put the cap on the bottom from an M60 car and attach that to a shut-off valve from a Volvo or Hyundai. The Volvo one is part # 9486016. It has a Volvo connector so make sure you get one of those, but if you want one that has the same connector as the BMW version get the Hyundai one (Edit: There's a Volvo one with the standard BMW (Kostal) connector with part # 9135805. It has an air cleaner attached to it.) The Volvo one is the same Pierburg brand. I couldn't found a Hyundai one that's Pierburg brand. The other solution is to install the Z3/318ti charcoal canister under the car. That's what I did on mine. I modified the bracket to attach it to a U bolt on the fuel filler pipe and a heavy duty zip tie on the other end. That way it's reversible with no permanent modifications.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7029r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	9969808 Click image for larger version  Name:	Cap for E30 Charcoal Canister.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	9969809 Click image for larger version  Name:	tkcm9N3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	9969810
      Last edited by Andrew325is; 01-16-2021, 02:07 AM.
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Here's the shut-off valve with Volvo part # 9135805 compared with the other one. This looks like the one to get. Same connector as the BMW one and it comes with a dust filter attached to it that is removable. I was looking at the Volvo parts diagrams and the other one is suppose to have a dust filter attached too that's at the end of the hose, so may as well get the one that comes with one already.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7050r.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	9970263
        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Do we need to use remote fpr or is the m52 e39 early m52 style with integrated fpr acceptable? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X