M52 aluminium blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 aluminium blocks

Hi! I made short video about two types of m52 aluminium blocks. I don't know if this useful information in US, but other countries should have also these alu blocks. It's in finnish, but I added english subtitles.
    This video describes differences between two types of BMW single vanos M52 aluminium engine blocks. The casting numbers should be also the same for 2 liter a...

There is also lot of rumors that these alu blocks cant handle boost. I must disagree because I have ran m turbo with alu block for a while now and I have had zero problems caused by that. I have been running up to 20 psi of boost and no problems even with stock head bolts. Only change I have made is Athena cooperring headgasket.
    Last edited by pazi88; 12-01-2015, 12:01 AM.

Great video. I was under the impression all the US ones were sleeved.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

That is pretty neat. Turns out mine has iron sleeves.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

In the US the only m52 aluminum blocks came in 97-98 Z3 2.8's.

Comment

I approve of this thread
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Great vid. All the US M52 alloy blocks I've worked with were sleeved. They are also a pain in the butt to find due to what Tippey764 said.
            GearSwitch E30 Cup Holder available now at http://gearswitch.us

Comment

Originally posted by megatron View Post
              Great vid. All the US M52 alloy blocks I've worked with were sleeved. They are also a pain in the butt to find due to what Tippey764 said.
              Ok that's good to know. I will add the information to video description. I already know that most of the M52 blocks in US are cast iron, which is basically the the same as in M50.

Comment

This is awesome information! I was under the impression all M52's were with nikasil lining.
                My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

Good information. Thanks for taking the time to make the video and put English subs on it.

Comment

And here is another video about these aluminium m52 blocks. As you may know these are famous from head bolt threads that will strip out easily. I haven't stripped out any threads yet, but I'm aiming for more boost next summer. So just in case I decided to time-sert the new block that I'm going to install. Of course the same procedure works if you have already stripped the threads. The real m52 time-sert kit is crazy expensive (300-500 usd), so here is video how you can do the time-serting with cheaper universal kit:
                    This video shows how to fix stripped head bolt threads from BMW M52 engine block. Same procedure works also for M52TU and M54 engines. and The Time-sert head...

I also added English subtitles to this video.

Comment

Helpful, thanks
                      Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                      A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                        In the US the only m52 aluminum blocks came in 97-98 Z3 2.8's.
                        are you sure?? i was told the e39 single vanos m52 also came in aluminum...

Comment

Pretty sure the Z3 was the only aluminum block in the USA. E39 single vanos was aluminum in the rest of the world.

Do the aluminum blocks have the same crank as the early iron blocks?

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                            Do the aluminum blocks have the same crank as the early iron blocks?
                            No. The late models have the crank sensor at the Back of the engine. These have same crank as in m52tu.

EDIT oh! there was topic about this already.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                              No. The late models have the crank sensor at the Back of the engine. These have same crank as in m52tu.

EDIT oh! there was topic about this already.
                              So both Aluminum blocks have the later TU style crank?

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
                              X