Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    The m3 has the small hole in the firewall, like an early model, right?

Leave a comment:

• nrubenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by AllydNYC View Post
    A harness adapter connects the harness to the fuse box, the left side of the car where the fuse box is sitting.

The part that goes thru the firewall and into the glovebox is exclusively for the ECU, which you don't need an adapter for.

Sorry no pic, too lazy to edit one and then upload it.
    This. A harness adapter is located literally feet away.

Leave a comment:

• AllydNYC
    replied
    Originally posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Would you mind posting some pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A harness adapter connects the harness to the fuse box, the left side of the car where the fuse box is sitting.

The part that goes thru the firewall and into the glovebox is exclusively for the ECU, which you don't need an adapter for.

Sorry no pic, too lazy to edit one and then upload it.
    Last edited by AllydNYC; 01-04-2017, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GG///M3
    replied
    Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
    Harness adapters have nothing to do with the firewall.

Would you mind posting some pics?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Alternately, a swap we did a while back used an e34 m50 ECU box and set it on the battery tray, or could use a small plastic battery box.
    Hmmm never thought of that. I have an E34 harness and the grommet is a major bitch that I havent really tried to get to fit into the enlarged hole in the firewall. I should actually try to get it through first, but thats not a bad backup plan. Not really a fan of having the ECU in the engine bay, but its also not ideal just sitting in the Glovebox... I have the 318-M42 ECU mount, but the wiring isnt quite long enough

Leave a comment:

• nrubenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    I have to look at the storage over my office, but pretty sure I have a chopped m20 harness.

Alternately, a swap we did a while back used an e34 m50 ECU box and set it on the battery tray, or could use a small plastic battery box.
    If you have got a damaged harness, I would *love* to buy the grommet, or the whole harness.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I have to look at the storage over my office, but pretty sure I have a chopped m20 harness.

Leave a comment:

• nrubenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by GG///M3 View Post
    I thought harness adapters were pnp no altering of anything? I'm in the same boat as you. About to drop in a s52

Harness adapters have nothing to do with the firewall.

Leave a comment:

• AllydNYC
    replied
    Also same boat. My harness was custom built but still no grommet. Really bugs me, a lot of wind noise.
    Last edited by AllydNYC; 01-04-2017, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GG///M3
    replied
    I thought harness adapters were pnp no altering of anything? I'm in the same boat as you. About to drop in a s52

Leave a comment:

• nrubenstein
    started a topic Firewall DME Harness Grommet

Firewall DME Harness Grommet

I don't have a harness available to butcher (already butchered the harness I have, and I am NOT altering an S14 harness!), so I need another solution. Unless someone has one they can sell me, of course.

So what other solutions are out there that don't involve altering the firewall? I'm dropping my spare S50US into the M3 to get it on the road until I have the time to rebuild the S14, so i'm especially uninterested in messing with the chassis.

Has anyone ever found a part number?
Working...
X