Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I upgrade from M20 stroker to M52 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I upgrade from M20 stroker to M52 swap?

Currently have an M20 stroker that needs both intake and cylinder head gasket done to the tune of a couple hundred bucks. Also currently have a tranny with no operable third gear and a really floppy shifter.

My mechanic (an avid e30 guy with a turbo s52 vert) recommends an M52 swap for the best bang for the buck. I'm just starting my research, but the M52 + manual tranny seems easily-obtainable, either already pulled or from a 328i/528i.

He said he can do the swap over a weekend for about $1k in labor if I can get him the motor and tranny. He also told me I should be able to recoup a few hundred for my m20 stroker, even in its current condition (I guess the gaskets are easier to do if the motor is coming out)

So, my questions are:
    Should I be considering any other swaps? Cost/value are key as I'm saving for a wedding next year. The M52 seems like a good option since they're cheap and easy to find..
    How much should I expect to pay for the M52+tranny?
    How much should I expect to get back for my M20 stroker?

I've always wanted to do a swap and it seems like this could actually be financially attainable for once... I'd rather pay a little extra for a swap than pay a little less and be right back where I am with the stroker

BavAuto ~ Bilstein ~ BBS ~ Scorpion ~ MarkD ~ Prolumen

Have you hugged a corner today?

'89 335iC (M30) - summer
    '17 Mazda3 - winter

Last year I got my M52 for $600 with around 100k miles and a ZF/M3 gearbox for $300. I swapped out my M42 and it sold as is with 150k miles for $500 which I thought was pretty good -id say you could get at least a few hundred for the M20.

I just finished the swap and I am happy with it, I still in the back of my mind wish it was an s52 but I wasn't willing to shell out thousands for a good S52 as I too was saving for a wedding. I told my fiancé it would be the cost of the motor/transmission plus another $1000 for the parts required to swap a 24v into an e30... I was definitely wrong - by how much? she will never know but I'm sure it was at least double after sending off wiring harness, oil pan, mounts, driveshaft, clutch/lightweight flywheel, sensors, and all of the "well while I'm at it"s

Comment

I was going through the same (except the planning wedding part). As I was shopping around I noted,
      $400-$800 for M52
      $300 for ZF
      If you do the ZF, factor in another $300 for a proper geared rear diff.

Then.. the "while you are in there" is where things get tricky.
      I just have my motor on a stand untouched. My current tally on regasket, etc items is about $400. You'll have to change water pump, thermostat, misc leaky stuff around the motor. Factor in clutch/flywheel etc too which can run another $300.

I still need to think about exhaust setup too.

So to be realistic I would expect your cost would be more like $3k for parts, maintenance, and labor for a turnkey swap.

Comment

^^ seems reasonable. I forgot about my exhaust which was like 600 from headers back

Plus I have a 4.10 LSD that needs to be changed. A lot of things that are hard to think about when planning, like new guibo, CSB, bolts that may be missing, bearings/bushings etc..

I would highly recommend doing the work yourself too. I learned so much valuable information and when things go wrong you know things like how tight the transmission mounts were tightened or whatnot. Looking back, its really not too hard if you put in the time. I did it in a single stall apartment garage on 4 jack stands and cant complain too much

Comment

I just went through your exact dilemma, and I ended up going 24V!

I think one way to keep costs down is this: just use your g260 if it's in good shape. Sure, the ZF is better, but is going to end up costing you $700+ just to use it due to driveshaft and diff differences.

I just kept my G260 and driveshaft and got the 10* UUC shifter DSSR, and am using an m20 228mm clutch setup (that you also probably have).

I ended up going the "while you're in there" route and am rebuilding the motor with 3L m54 internals, but for bang for the buck, but if you get a good compression M52 I'd just regasket it for cheap (including HG) and run it! For power upgrades if you grab an M50 mani and S52 cams, you'll be in really good shape.

I got my m52 w/EVERYTHING but tranny for $450.
          Stock booster works, moved over 1/2".
          E36 arms and mounts are around $100 total.
          UUC shifter arm cost can be alleviated by welding your current one offset 10*.
          Trans brace is $73.
          Wiring is $170 for harness modification.
          ECU flash is cheap.
          SAP delete plates are like $20 on ebay.
          Exhaust isn't much if you use your M20 catback all you have to do is get a midpipe made to connect the two ($3-500 max)
          Figure electric fan conversion while you're in there which is ~$150.
          I got my all my E34 stuff WITH S52 cams/trays for $450.

If you can get a good deal on an M52 with accessories and ECU, I think it'll DEFINITELY be worth your while, and you won't spend as much as you think if you take your time accumulating parts as you go.

If I wasn't doing the motor build or the performance stuff I'd be into this swap like $1500 total.

I say DO it.

Plus, for down the road when you're sick of the powah, RHD made M52 ITBs........

Call me crazy, but I think a proper 24V swap is more maintenance free than an M20 due to timing chain, adjustable valves, etc.

Just my .02!
          Last edited by AWDBOB; 05-04-2017, 07:51 PM.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

FWIW I'm using my G260 with my S52. The ZF has a 1:1 5th gear whereas the G260 has a 1:1 for 4th and .81:1 for 5th. My car is a cruiser so the overdrive is nice to have. I'm running a 3.46 rear though, a 4.10 would be way to high. I got my diff off eBay for $250 shipped from an E28 and swapped the flanges and rear cover from my 3.73.

The 260 holds up fine so you can save some cash by using the parts you already and just buying the brace and shifter rod. Transmission, driveshaft, starter, flywheel, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X