helicoil for stripped oil pan bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helicoil for stripped oil pan bolt?

So when I put on my new oil pan gasket and e34 pan, I for sure stripped one of the bolts. I was using my torque wrench set to the proper specs, but it was definitely overtightening them. Probably because its a cheap torque wrench at a very light spec...Anyways, I think I am going to pull the pan anyways to tap it for a turbo oil feed return (I think I convinced myself to just go turbo since that's what I always wanted anyways).

Would it be best to just helicoil that one bolt hole in the block, or is there a better way to handle that?

Helicoil works well, but you can always go with a +1 drain plug (16mm).

Just an FYI, when you tap the pan for 14mm, you won't need the special helicoil tap, going from 14mm to 16mm, the coil fits perfect.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

He's talking about the bolts holding the pan on, not the drain plug.

Helicoil will work fine. The threads will be stronger than original.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
        He's talking about the bolts holding the pan on, not the drain plug.

Helicoil will work fine. The threads will be stronger than original.
        Derp!

Actually this reminds me of a while back and a friend was using a torque wrench on his valve cover and kept snapping studs. Come to find out he was using ft-lb not in-lb :/

General rule for the 6mm threads is to use a short ratchet and hold it close to the head - when you see the tendons on your hand pop, you are good. I have found since doing this for a living, it's quite easy to judge torque (not for critical fasteners though of course).
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Oil pan bolts are so tiny i wouldn't go near it with a torque wrench, just tighten it with a small socket wrench until it feels just tight enough and you see it start to compress the gasket.

Can you get a nut on the back of your stripped bolt hole? if so you could use a longer bolt and put a nut on the back. If not the helicoil will work.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Derp!

Actually this reminds me of a while back and a friend was using a torque wrench on his valve cover and kept snapping studs. Come to find out he was using ft-lb not in-lb :/

General rule for the 6mm threads is to use a short ratchet and hold it close to the head - when you see the tendons on your hand pop, you are good. I have found since doing this for a living, it's quite easy to judge torque (not for critical fasteners though of course).
            That's exactly what my dad told me when I told him I stripped a bolt hole out...

Comment

Helicoil is probably your best bet. But there's so many bolts closely spaced that you'd probably be okay with Permatex The Right Stuff gasket maker all around and skip the hole.
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
                Helicoil is probably your best bet. But there's so many bolts closely spaced that you'd probably be okay with Permatex The Right Stuff gasket maker all around and skip the hole.
                Every turbo build we have done skips the bolt where the perfect oil drain spot is - never had a leak there. +1 for The Right Stuff, been using it for years.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Working...
                X