M52 or M50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 or M50

Im so undecided on whether to go m50 or m52 for my e30 swap. I have a guy with a m52 long block from a 97 528i with harness and ecu and 5 spd transmission for pretty cheap that im really considering buying tomorrow. My e30 is for track days here in northern california.

The m52 is the iron block that i wanted so i could eventually throw boost on it without destroying the block like the aluminum. Im just so torn on what i should swap into it. Looking for a little advice or guidance on what you guys from r3v would do before i spend the money on the engine/trans tomorrow.

I fought back and forth with myself on whether or not i wanted to keep it obd1 or go obd2 and i kinda determined i wanted to go obd2 just for future troubleshooting purposes. Wouldnt mind stroking the 2.8L to a 3.0L either.

Any guidance on what you would do and why would be great. Dont want to spend the money on the m52 and then for some reason decide against it down the road.

Thanks as always R3v.

M52 is obd2 and I recommend using it because the ms41 is flashable through obd port and easily tunable even for turbo use. And the 5spd zf from m52 is best bang for buck transmission which can handle up to 1000 hp. Throw better rods, athena cooperring headgasket to the engine and run it with e85 and you have enginne capable of producing 600 hp.

And btw even if the m52 would be aluminium block, you can still turbo it and make big hp reliably.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
      M52 is obd2 and I recommend using it because the ms41 is flashable through obd port and easily tunable even for turbo use. And the 5spd zf from m52 is best bang for buck transmission which can handle up to 1000 hp. Throw better rods, athena cooperring headgasket to the engine and run it with e85 and you have enginne capable of producing 600 hp.

And btw even if the m52 would be aluminium block, you can still turbo it and make big hp reliably.

Thank you for that. Yeah i was originally sold on obd1 for some reason then after further research i figured i would be better off going obd2. Thanks for the internals recommendations. I was told the engine has a good amount of miles so i figured a rebuild would be a good idea. Will be adding those components for sure.

Ive never ran e85 and may have only seen it at a handful of gas stations here in the Sacramento area. Just curious as to why and what are the benefits? I have no experience with it.

Thanks

Comment

With all the information readily available to complete an OBD2 swap, it's all but pointless to go OBD1 these days.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by Yayrea View Post
          Ive never ran e85 and may have only seen it at a handful of gas stations here in the Sacramento area. Just curious as to why and what are the benefits? I have no experience with it.

Thanks
          E85 has ron rating of 105 to 110 and also has a heat of vaporization of 855 J/g, 280% more than pump gas so it's almost like race gas combined with water/meth injection that you can buy from gas station. Allowing you to run higher compression ratio, higher boost and more ignition timing, giving you lots more power than pump gas. And because of the cooling effect and higher ron rating, it basically doesn't knock what makes boosted engines really reliable. And you can even run stock pistons with high boost levels, because normally even slighest knock destroys those. But because e85 doesn't do that, they hold fine. And you can also run stock compression ratio boosted without problems.

Comment

M54b30, and then you don't have to fart around with boost...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

M54 or N52. More power, less weight.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

...but n52 still so scary...

hee

t
                not willing to grow up yet
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X