Low cost DIY ecu for m52/s52 (obd2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low cost DIY ecu for m52/s52 (obd2)

If anyone is interested on cheap DIY plug and play standalone ecu for m52/s52, I have designed speeduino compatible PCB that goes inside the orginal ms41 ecu.

Video about that: https://youtu.be/FzxQXtNtpvE

More info: https://speeduino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2527

That's really neat. Can it output a fuel rate signal that is compatible with the E30 on-board computer and fuel economy gauge? Is it able to control the dual vanos M52TU/M54?
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
      That's really neat. Can it output a fuel rate signal that is compatible with the E30 on-board computer and fuel economy gauge? Is it able to control the dual vanos M52TU/M54?
      Currently no. The fuel rate signal would be fairly easy to code for speeduino, because you would only need to replicate the injector signal to one extra output for MPG gauge with correction factor. But I at least won't be doing that, because I personally need the dual vanos support. So I will be working on trying to add that to speeduino. And eventually have m52tu/m54 PnP unit. That will also require extra stuff, because of the electric throttle. But I'm currently investigating how that could be done.

And BTW the MPG gauge would work just by adding jumper wire, between one injector output and the MPG gauge signal pin. But the MPG gauge reading would probably be way off, because there is need for that correction factor.

Comment

Cool beans! I haven't had a chance to follow the speeduino project, or look into the dets but - cool work you're doing!

With all the new arduino compatible ARM Cortex-M4 chips, it would be a tempting choice - and I assume there is a package with plenty of pin outs.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Awesome. Really stoked youre making so much headway with the m5x engines here.
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

what would be the limitations for this currently? from all your videos and info over on the speeduino site it kinda seems like the only thing missing is closed loop VANOS control? at this point it seems like its basically plug in, tune, and go. really interested in this as a cheaper alternative to megasquirt for when i go from NA to turbo on my S52

Comment

Yes, really interested!

Worked with Speeduino before so have some experience and stand alone calibrating will be no issue for me.

Can you pm me about the pricing? It's no hurry for me now, but it looks like to be a good solution for mine turbo upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Sladek View Post
                what would be the limitations for this currently? from all your videos and info over on the speeduino site it kinda seems like the only thing missing is closed loop VANOS control? at this point it seems like its basically plug in, tune, and go. really interested in this as a cheaper alternative to megasquirt for when i go from NA to turbo on my S52
                There is already better vanos control than in ms2 megasquirt for example. The stock m52 on/off vanos works same as with stock ecu with current speeduino firmware. So yeas it is assemble, plug in and tune it. The closed loop PWM vanos control is also coming. There is some implementation for that but not yet finished.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatSoftwareGuy View Post
                  Yes, really interested!

Worked with Speeduino before so have some experience and stand alone calibrating will be no issue for me.

Can you pm me about the pricing? It's no hurry for me now, but it looks like to be a good solution for mine turbo upgrade.
                  I only sell PCB's mostly. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183990914728 Don't have enough time to make assembled units.

Comment

I also have been working on this Speeduino compatible m52tu/m54 PnP PCB:

It has spot for 14point7 Spartan 2 OEM wideband controller to get integrated bosch lsu4.9 wideband control and also has CAN-bus interface to get stock e46/e39 CAN-bus instrument cluster working. The e30/e34/e36 instrument cluster works fine without that.

Comment

would you prefer this or self tuning through romraider on MS41? I'm sort of at an impasse on deciding which direction to go. love your videos on YouTube they have been extremely helpful only info I can't find is tuning for things like cams/big maf/m50 manifold Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

also unsure if a base tune for a S52 would be too different to start with on my S52 with cams and many other mods Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stock or pretty close to stock engine or even mild boosting is easiest with just tuning the stock ecu. Especially if your country requires all the emission stuff working etc. But bigger HP turbo builds for example can get really annoying to tune with MAF based system like ms41 is. Map based ecu works much better in those. Then of course if the shop that deas the tuning, can't tune ms41, you need to get aftermarket ecu like speeduino. Which everyone can tune. Or if you need absolute control for what is happening in the engine, stock ecu isn't good for that.

And base tune is just to get engine running. So basically has the required settings for the engine/ecu combo to make it work. Actual mapping/tuning needs to be done for every engine invidually.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                            Stock or pretty close to stock engine or even mild boosting is easiest with just tuning the stock ecu. Especially if your country requires all the emission stuff working etc. But bigger HP turbo builds for example can get really annoying to tune with MAF based system like ms41 is. Map based ecu works much better in those. Then of course if the shop that deas the tuning, can't tune ms41, you need to get aftermarket ecu like speeduino. Which everyone can tune. Or if you need absolute control for what is happening in the engine, stock ecu isn't good for that. And base tune is just to get engine running. So basically has the required settings for the engine/ecu combo to make it work. Actual mapping/tuning needs to be done for every engine invidually.
                            yeah I know the tune needs adjusted for each engine individually. what I'm worried about is the base tune being too far off as a starting point to tune a modified NA motor. turning the car on is one thing but I don't want to cause damage while starting to tune. it's hard to just jump in with the limited info on tuning these motors for specific modifications Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

do you think youll ever consider making an OBD1 version PCB for a "413" DME replacement? i know theres many people with OBD1 24v swaps that would be interested, myself included if I dont go through the process of swapping to OBD2

or do you already have these created?

Comment

Working...
                              X