E30 M50 swap with E90 booster

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • benz-tech
    Grease Monkey
    • Jan 2011
    • 379

    #46
    Sorry to resurrect this but I have a question about the E83 booster and E90 boosters. Plus some valuable info.
    E60 and E83 (silver) boosters are TRW and require the TRW style m/c. And the E83 does exit to the driver side. The smallest piston diameter I can find is 25mm f/r for this booster.
    the E90, X1also? (black) boosters are Ate and would need the RHD m/c to fit. The m/c is slightly smaller in diameter and not interchangeable with the silver TRW type.

    Question 1) about the E60 is what is the depth from firewall to the outer edge of the booster? The N52 3sim manifold barely clears the E90 with cutting the rib off the runner. If the E60 is even a half inch shorter it’s golden.

    Question 2) To anyone with either booster, how is the pedal feel with these 25 or 25/23mm master cylinders. I have stock brakes currently.
    Attached Files
    You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
    I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
    Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

    Comment

    • Panici
      Moderator
      • Dec 2009
      • 2547

      #47
      Originally posted by benz-tech
      Question 2) To anyone with either booster, how is the pedal feel with these 25 or 25/23mm master cylinders. I have stock brakes currently.
      It feels more confidence inspiring then the stock setup.
      My car makes more then 2x the factory WHP and I find that factory brakes are "enough" for street use even with repeated hard stops.

      See my comments as above for the E83 X3 Booster.

      It feels like a more modern car, without feeling numb. A little more boost for less travel and more positive engagement.
      Can still threshold brake without ABS just fine.

      I shortened the rod on the booster a little extra to lower the brake pedal, which should make heel-toe downshifting easier.
      If I were to do this again, I would probably take even more out of the rod.

      Comment

      • benz-tech
        Grease Monkey
        • Jan 2011
        • 379

        #48
        Thanks for the info. It seems like the e90 was the go to solution for a brief period that no one went to? I have it now but either I buy a rhd mc or buy the e60 booster I found at picknpull to use with the new TRW 25mm mc I bought thinking it would fit the e90 booster. silver is pretty cool
        You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
        I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
        Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

        Comment

        • Panici
          Moderator
          • Dec 2009
          • 2547

          #49
          Originally posted by benz-tech
          silver is pretty cool
          You could always paint it. Sprayed mine black at first, and then went to body colour.

          Comment

          • benz-tech
            Grease Monkey
            • Jan 2011
            • 379

            #50
            So I test fit the E60 and it’s 100% no go with the N52 intake manifold. The E90 booster is reeeeeeeaal tight but it fits.
            You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
            I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
            Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

            Comment

            Working...