How to get cooler?

I have an 88 with a solid s52 in it.

Stewart water pump
    triple core radiator from the M Roadster
    low temp t-stat
    Two 8 inch pullers (Be Cool fans)With a custom shroud
    13 row oil cooler with the oil cooler adapter
    Digital gauge measuring water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure

Driving back from LA to the Bay Are California, 90 degree weather, car starts to overheat as I pull up to the driveway. 244 degrees! The entire drive the car was at 183 - 196 degrees. When I got off the freeway, it got to 201. 20 blocks later pulling up to the driveway, 215 degress, then all of a sudden 244 degrees!

WTF! How can I keep this car cool and keep it from overheating? I have all the stuff I can think of to make it cool other than a vented hood. Ideas?

I think there is still air in the system but I have burped it like 8+ times. Should I do a leakdown at this point?

I'm interested in this as well. My m52 gets a little too hot sitting in traffic.

Do you have a fan controller or just using the BMW fan switch? Were you in a lot of stop and go traffic when it got hot?
    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Something isn't right. The M50 in my E34 never gets hot, even in 95° heat with the AC on and no mechanical fan (only the stock aux fan). Stock radiator and pump as well.

What are you using to measure the temp? Maybe it isn't as hot as you think. Other than that, it must have air in it somewhere.

Comment

I definitely think you have air. I invested in a vacuum cooling system filler. Eliminates air and checks for leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
          I'm interested in this as well. My m52 gets a little too hot sitting in traffic.

Do you have a fan controller or just using the BMW fan switch? Were you in a lot of stop and go traffic when it got hot?
          I have those two puller fans pictures. Always on unless I am over 60mph. And I was not in sit and go, I was going 80mph+ the entire time from Los Angeles.

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
          I definitely think you have air. I invested in a vacuum cooling system filler. Eliminates air and checks for leaks.
          Which did you purchase? Don't you need an air compressor for that? And can I still use one of these tools if there is coolant in the system already, or do I have to dump all the fluid and do it again?

Comment

FWIW,
            Your fan mounts appear to be blocking a significant amount of radiator area.
            My fan seldom comes on and I run between 180-190.

If I let it idle after a session on a hot day the temp will creep up.

Shoe

Comment

Originally posted by cocofunk View Post
              I have those two puller fans pictures. Always on unless I am over 60mph. And I was not in sit and go, I was going 80mph+ the entire time from Los Angeles.

Which did you purchase? Don't you need an air compressor for that? And can I still use one of these tools if there is coolant in the system already, or do I have to dump all the fluid and do it again?
              You need an air compressor, you should drain, but that only takes a couple minutes. OEM Tools 24444

Comment

how many CFM are those fans? I am wondering if a high performance 16" puller would move more air

Comment

Here is what I always use for a 24v car. This is a time tested, winning formula...

E30 325i expansion tank, heater hoses and radiator - you can run the Z3M radiator, if you so choose, but a stock E30 radiator is identical to an E36 radiator and works just fine
                  E30 325i 80c thermostat - one 1/16" hole drilled at the top for easier bleeding
                  E30 M3 82c aux fan switch in the radiator
                  STOCK AIR CONDITIONING FAN - they work the best, even if they are noisy - who cares
                  No mechanical fan - you can if you really want to, but I don't for clearance's sake.

Unless the car is sitting for hours (in which case, I don't know what to tell you), this is a great working setup. The car gets up to a proper temperature during winter and stays cool during summer. That would be my suggestion to you. The aux fan switches do fail from time to time (not often), but other than that, I've never had an issue with this setup.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

it has to do with the fan not turning on or air in the system...

at freeway speed theres enough air going thru to cool it.

once you get out the freeway is mostly up to the fan to do the job...make sure its working properly.

like they said fan switches are prone to fail, even new

covering the rear of the rad in order for fans to fully pull all the air thru the radiator is the best setup, that's what a regular fan shroud does...

Ricardo

Comment

I also think there has to be air in the system. 24v in an E30 is not much fun to bleed, so it's not unlikely.

Drilling a hole in the T.stat at the 12:00 position helps, as well as raising the front of the car so the reservoir is the highest point, with the radiator vent hose as the next highest point. Pretty easy to make this happen by unclipping the e30 reservoir.

Make sure the fans are:
                      Coming on at all.
                      Coming on at the right temperature (looks like you're using the merc switch, which works fine for a lot of us)
                      Pulling air through instead of trying to push it out the front of the car.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I may sound dumb af but,did you check how the fans are rotating??? i had also overheating issues (weather in greece during summer is very hot), i changed everything (pump,tstat,hoses,check rad for leaking,tried to remove air from system etc).... One day my father just asked,did u check the rotation of fan?.... i thought that it hasnt polarity,and it would spin the same,regardless of positive/negative... Now its all fine with 88c tstat,radiator from M42 and temperature switch from an E36 with aircon...Even in heavy traffic or drifting in small circuits,temperature stays at optimal levels...
                        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
                          (...)

covering the rear of the rad in order for fans to fully pull all the air thru the radiator is the best setup, that's what a regular fan shroud does...

Ricardo
                          Looks like there are already shrouds around the fans, doing their job preventing the fan to pull air from the side which is the covered area. I don't think that it's functioning as intended.
                          Anyway, one more vote for double checking whether the fans are pushing or pulling.

Comment

Working...
                          X