Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 swap coding plug for tachometer

Hello everyone,

I recently swapped the coding plug on my '91 318is (M52 swap) with a 6 cyl one from a 325i thinking that would fix my tach reading too high. It seems more accurate now, but still reads about 1300 rpms too high cruising at 60 mph in 5th. Should be about 2800 rpm, tachometer about 4100 rpm instead.

Idle seems about 900 rpm, still too high.

Was reading somewhere that an e28 535i coding plug might work. Can anyone confirm, or is there something else wrong?

Thanks!

Sounds like the needle is just not in the right position. a 6 cylinder coding plug is a 6 cylinder coding plug. Doesn't matter which 6 cylinder engine it is. Mostly it just needs to match the sweep of the tach itself (ie, eta vs 325i).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      Sounds like the needle is just not in the right position. a 6 cylinder coding plug is a 6 cylinder coding plug. Doesn't matter which 6 cylinder engine it is. Mostly it just needs to match the sweep of the tach itself (ie, eta vs 325i).
      Any suggestions on where/what to start checking?

Comment

If your tach is a 7k redline one, and you have the 325i coding plug, it should work perfect. If you have an 8k tach, you would need the E28 M5 one.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
          If your tach is a 7k redline one, and you have the 325i coding plug, it should work perfect. If you have an 8k tach, you would need the E28 M5 one.
          It should, since I still have the 7k tach. I’m confused to why it’s still off.

Comment

I did notice that the needle will jump quick a few seconds after turning the engine off and removing the key. Only does it once, never has jumped with the engine on or the key in. Possibly something internally wrong with the tach? How can I check to be sure?

Comment

This is interesting, I had not yet come across this information.

So, for example, if I had an E30 M3 gauge cluster with the 8K RPM tach, I would need to source an E28 M5 coding plug to make the tach accurate through the range?

My plan is to use an E30 M3 cluster with my M52 swap...

Thanks!

MJ

Comment

Alright, so I think I figured it out. I think the 6 cyl 325i coding plug I received had its chip swapped with a 4 cyl one at some point prior. The plastic case had been opened before. Tachometer reads the same regardless of which chip is in it. Part number on the case is correct for a 6cyl one, but the chip in it appears to be a 4 cyl one.

Contacted the eBay seller and hes shipping me a new one. Hopefully that one is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

So, for example, if I had an E30 M3 gauge cluster with the 8K RPM tach, I would need to source an E28 M5 coding plug to make the tach accurate through the range?

Thanks!

MJ
                  If you are using a 6 cyl engine, yes. Will the E28 chip fit into your E30 cluster? No, you will need to break open the housing of the plug and cut the circuit board to make it fit. We can perform this mod or sell you an aftermarket chip that will fit good.
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by DiamondschwarzE30 View Post
                    Alright, so I think I figured it out. I think the 6 cyl 325i coding plug I received had its chip swapped with a 4 cyl one at some point prior. The plastic case had been opened before. Tachometer reads the same regardless of which chip is in it. Part number on the case is correct for a 6cyl one, but the chip in it appears to be a 4 cyl one.

Contacted the eBay seller and hes shipping me a new one. Hopefully that one is correct.
                    That happens, best to use one with a case thats never opened. It should fix your problem. If not, it may be the placement of your needle that is affecting the accuracy.
                    www.BavRest.com
                    My Feedback Thread
                    Our Facebook!
                    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

Thanks!

MJ
                      You might want to just sell the E30 M3 cluster to pay for your M52 swap. :p
                      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

If you are using a 6 cyl engine, yes. Will the E28 chip fit into your E30 cluster? No, you will need to break open the housing of the plug and cut the circuit board to make it fit. We can perform this mod or sell you an aftermarket chip that will fit good.

Thank you. I will contact you when the time comes.

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                        You might want to just sell the E30 M3 cluster to pay for your M52 swap. :p

Ha Ha. E30 M3 parts are valuable these days for sure, however I've had this cluster for years and it will be one of many cool details of my build.

MJ

Comment

Working...
                        X