Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50E30 engine mountings

I'm using the E34 engine mounts with a thick spacer on both sides

Question: Can i strengthen the mounts by making an aluminium cup to secure the rubber from excessive movements

This has been done to transmission mounts, but i have yet to see any engine mounts being fabricated.

Not considering uretherane or some harden plastic mounts as car is a daily driver and i cannot stand any vibrations at all.......makes me wanna go wank myself.....

I've seen the cups but I don't believe they really do much. The research that I've done shows that the E36 and E34 mounts tend to rip in 1/2 when they do go bad. I don't see how the cups will prevent that.
    I tried getting my friend to make Poly mounts but has yet to do so. They are really easy to make. I know you said you don't want poly but you reminded me about it.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

im sure they're out there. try calling and asking for e34 applications.
      --Will

Comment

think about the e28 mounts again. Mine are so stiff there is barely any engine movement at all, even when I put all my weight into pushing it side to side. Much stiffer than the s14 engine mounts in my m3 for reference

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
          I've seen the cups but I don't believe they really do much. The research that I've done shows that the E36 and E34 mounts tend to rip in 1/2 when they do go bad. I don't see how the cups will prevent that.
          I tried getting my friend to make Poly mounts but has yet to do so. They are really easy to make. I know you said you don't want poly but you reminded me about it.
          That's exactly what i'm afraid of, as i don't have much space in front for the clutch fan to the radiator. As it is, i have some movements in the front and the clutch fan hits the radiator occaionally, there are marks on the fan to prove the meetings of the fan blades with the radiator

How does the polly mounts feel when installed, are they really hard?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
            think about the e28 mounts again. Mine are so stiff there is barely any engine movement at all, even when I put all my weight into pushing it side to side. Much stiffer than the s14 engine mounts in my m3 for reference
            Which year model did you use?
            I got the E28 M5 mount,but due to height differences, i had to use the E34 with spacers

Comment

I'm using the e28 m5 mounts in my car. Where do you have a height problem? I'm not using a mechanical fan though, just a radiator and a stock aux fan.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                I'm using the e28 m5 mounts in my car. Where do you have a height problem? I'm not using a mechanical fan though, just a radiator and a stock aux fan.
                Yes unfortunately, my swap was abit more complicated due to the larger than normal 6 speeder box, had to do abit of weaving and tunnel mods to prevent the box from hitting the tunnel.
                Mine sits abit more infront compared to my other pals m50 conversions, causing the tight space between the rad n fan, due to the tropics, i need to run both fans - did a test just running the aux fan alone,the temp went way up to 3/4 and it scared the shit out of me......

so back to getting the motor mounts firm yet flexible without flexing too much, thats why the idea of the aluminium cups came about
                The e30 motor mounts had them, but none for the e34, was just thiking of fabricating the cups up to 3/4 the length of it to reduce movement.....

Comment

I don't believe anyone makes Poly that will work for the S/M50 motors yet. Turner doesn't even sell any poly.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

have you guys checked out akg i think they have them.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                      have you guys checked out akg i think they have them.
                      Just checked, suprisingly they don't.
                      -Brandon
                      '86 325es S50
                      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

call AKG, he'll make anything you want if you ask.

Comment

Dont e28 535i urethane mounts work with the m/s50 swap? Or does it absolutely have to be m5 mounts?

Comment

i have e34 rubber mounts and everything is lined up and it's driving. just get the e28/e34 green bell pepper looking mounts

Comment

I already have the urethane e28 535i mounts. I'll try them and let you know if they work.
                              Last edited by Bimmer335is; 12-18-2006, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X