Best Mods for gain on M50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FredK View Post
    200 whp with an M50 is attainable only with a super healthy engine, a really optimized exhaust, S50 cams, and software (TMS offers software for the S50 cam upgrade). Underdrive pulleys may do something, but likely won't be as noticeable as the cam upgrade.

S50 cams can be done ONLY in the M50TU (the Vanos engine).

The M50 non Vanos engine requries shifting the intake cam to the exhaust position and running a Schrick non Vanos intake cam, IIRC.
    If a stock M50 makes say 150whp, surely you are not going to get 200whp by just adding cams + chip.

200whp divided by 0.82 (for 18% drive train losses) is 244bhp at the crank! I suppose some of the numbers bandied about on the 'net have to be taken with a large dose of salt.
    Last edited by alexbaby88; 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Nah, it's pretty common to hit 200whp with an M50 in an e36 with the common boltons + cams + chip.

Comment

Check 2/3 down the page for Stroker67's dyno of his S50 cams in M50 + Turner software dyno:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

189.9 whp.

Though he claims Vanos was disabled for some reason during the run.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Check 2/3 down the page for Stroker67's dyno of his S50 cams in M50 + Turner software dyno:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

189.9 whp.

Though he claims Vanos was disabled for some reason during the run.
          I believe the NV responds a little bit more to those mods than the TU. I think with a good intake some 4 pint inj. and underdrives along with it, 200-220 is realistic.
          Once I get there, I am saving for AA.
          Originally posted by 325Projectz
          don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
          :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
            I believe the NV responds a little bit more to those mods than the TU. I think with a good intake some 4 pint inj. and underdrives along with it, 200-220 is realistic.
            Once I get there, I am saving for AA.
            Oh, by AA you meant you were going to join Alcoholics Anonymous. I suggest you seek the help you need, my son. I'll be pulling for you.

Because only a drunk would believe 220 whp is possible with just bolt-ons!!

:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Yes I'm sure the power is... intoxicating, but believe me, 220 whp (257 crank hp) is not possible from a 2.5L M50, unless you spin it to some rigoddamdiculous engine speed, and even then, the engine might blow up if you just left the internals stock.

200 whp is definitely a nice target though.

Comment

Oh, by AA you meant you were going to join Alcoholics Anonymous. I suggest you seek the help you need, my son. I'll be pulling for you.

Because only a drunk would believe 220 whp is possible with just bolt-ons!!

:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Yes I'm sure the power is... intoxicating, but believe me, 220 whp (257 crank hp) is not possible from a 2.5L M50, unless you spin it to some rigoddamdiculous engine speed, and even then, the engine might blow up if you just left the internals stock.

200 whp is definitely a nice target though.
              I meant 200-220 chp. And I think you what I meant when I said AA.
              Originally posted by 325Projectz
              don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
              :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by So Live View Post
                Sounds like a cool project. i wish i had the $ to spend on it. Im guessing your doing s50 crank s50 or non-vanos m50 rods and vanos m50 pistons. Are you milling the pistons or going for a thick head gasket?
                Actually, I am having some headwork done nextweek and while it is there I am having them CC the chambers and make sure they are all the same (blueprint). Then, using that number, I am going to run some numbers to find out if would be better to use a 2.8L crank w/ stock headgasket thickness, or run the s50 crank w/ a thicker headgasket. The only difference between the two cranks is about 2 mm of stroke.

Jon
                My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

I meant 200-220 chp. And I think you what I meant when I said AA.
                  Wow, beefy alternator. Is that like 280 amps or something?

Comment

I know what you meant by AA. And I know that's not an alternator. I was just giving you grief.

Comment

I agree with what has already been said. Stock M50's do well with a nice cold air intake, no-cat exhaust (single 2.5" with a resonator and aftermarket muffler), M3 cams and a chip to match.

It's a good idea to put lightweight lifters, springs and all the other related parts from an M3 motor when putting the M3 cams in the 2.5. You really need to rev the 2.5 to make use of it with the M cams. They make a good bit more power up top but there is still the short-stroke bottomend that doesn't provide a lot of torque.

A local friends E36 325 (VANOS) has the CAI, exhaust w/cat, turner chip for M3 cams and an M3 cylinder head--he made around 195whp, not sure of the torque though.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                        Nah, it's pretty common to hit 200whp with an M50 in an e36 with the common boltons + cams + chip.
                        link to charts which are very common? with the M52 it is more common but not with a m50 plus you get half decent tq aswell giving performance across the board not jsu right at the topend
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                          link to charts which are very common?
                          Sorry, I'm not searching. I'll post mine when I get around to dynoing.

Plus, I can't search because I'm in TO on bimmerforums.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                            Sorry, I'm not searching. I'll post mine when I get around to dynoing.

Plus, I can't search because I'm in TO on bimmerforums.
                            i have searched and its not the norm as it is with the M52. Dynos have to be SAE corrected with the CF listed with the temp,humidity and pressure to make sure there is no funny business aswell otherwise it means nothing so bear that in mind when you see someone post up a 200whp M50
                            Last edited by digger; 04-21-2007, 06:27 PM.
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

THere's a few people here using my tune with m50/m3 cams, m52 with m3 cams with 3.5"hfm. they seems to be very happy with it.

Comment

Yes a Schrick 252 intake and then stock intake on the exhaust side. They have to be timed correctly also. This will give you S50 camset/ profile.
                                Im getting a Non-vanos M50 for my swap and doing the cam swap while the motors out.
                                Both cams have to be timed differently than stock? is this something you can do at home when reinstalling/assembling the head? I plan on getting the head refreshed and installing a 252.

Hunter
                                We're out there in here.

Comment

Working...
                                X