Best Mods for gain on M50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Mods for gain on M50

Im thinking of swapping an M50 or S50. I know the price differences are substantial so im wondering what mods can you do to the M50 to bring up the horsepower a little bit.

I read that you can swap in S50 cams. (only on the non vanos??)

And also increase displacement to 2.9L with different pistons... And that raises compression (doesn't matter since i don't plan on going FI)

Is there anything else you could do to an M50 like pulleys, headers or a different MAF or injectors, chip?

I would like it to put down maybe 200 to the wheels if thats possible.:roll:

Thanks for your input.

200 whp with an M50 is attainable only with a super healthy engine, a really optimized exhaust, S50 cams, and software (TMS offers software for the S50 cam upgrade). Underdrive pulleys may do something, but likely won't be as noticeable as the cam upgrade.

S50 cams can be done ONLY in the M50TU (the Vanos engine).

The M50 non Vanos engine requries shifting the intake cam to the exhaust position and running a Schrick non Vanos intake cam, IIRC.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

well for a m52 it's well proven, 3.5" MAF, S52 Cams, A good Chip, and underdrive pullies net you 200-210whp.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
        200 whp with an M50 is attainable only with a super healthy engine, a really optimized exhaust, S50 cams, and software (TMS offers software for the S50 cam upgrade). Underdrive pulleys may do something, but likely won't be as noticeable as the cam upgrade.

The M50 non Vanos engine requries shifting the intake cam to the exhaust position and running a Schrick non Vanos intake cam, IIRC.
        Does it have to be a shrick cam?? or can it be a regrounded cam to shrick like specs?

s52 0-150mph & more http://www.youtube.com/loonibab325i

Comment

quillbro - you should email me and come drive my car. I can also hook you up with a motor deal locally.

Comment

it can be a reground cam. I believe Delta Cam in WA will grind to Schrick specs for a reasonable price.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

how much does delta charge?
              My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
              There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Thats good to know about the regrind. Turns out I have a spare set of cams :)
                To the origional poster, search stroker in this 24v section. Go to bimmerforums e36 section and search stroker. Its a little more than just pistons to make it a 2.9 or a 2.8. I know its pretty proven to get 250bhp out of a stroker motor all day long but that involves building the motor completely.
                Search button is deffenitely your friend. Learn how to use it and it WILL answer all your questions.
                -Chris

Comment

I am in the process of doing the 2.9 stroker...hence some of my random questions. I have been gather parts for a year now and just recently began working on the engine itself. The engine only had 80/90 thousand miles but I am doing a full rebuild on it and bought new valves and still gather parts/gaskets when I can. The head goes out to the machine shop within the next week and a half. I have been documenting it and will give a full documentary on it in a thread when I get close to being done (or done).
                  My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Sounds like a cool project. i wish i had the $ to spend on it. Im guessing your doing s50 crank s50 or non-vanos m50 rods and vanos m50 pistons. Are you milling the pistons or going for a thick head gasket?
                    -Chris

Comment

How much power does a stock M50 put down at the wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by alexbaby88 View Post
                        How much power does a stock M50 put down at the wheels?
                        The calculation most commonly applied is taking the HP figure measured at the flywheel and subtract ~18% (for frictional losses in the drivetrain) to get an approximate figure of WHP. IIRC a stock M50 makes about 190bhp. Doing the math I mention would give you about 156 HP at the wheels.

Jon
                        Rides...
                        1991 325i - sold :(
                        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I would guess the average e30/M50 would make around 145 at the wheels, based on the hacked up exhausts and "custom" intakes I always see.

I will run mine in the next few months... not stock though.

Comment

a friends stock 93 e36 with hot intake made 160whp

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post

Yes a Schrick 252 intake and then stock intake on the exhaust side. They have to be timed correctly also. This will give you S50 camset/ profile.
                              Originally posted by 325Projectz
                              don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                              :nice:

Comment

Working...
                              X