24v swap engine mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v swap engine mounts

So people go with the e28 green's for the swap. The m42 guys have fluid filled engine mounts and swap to the e28 green's. So will the m42 ones work? Not that I want to use the fluid filled ones, but what about the urethane m42 mounts? Does that make the e28 urethane's the same as the m42 urethanes? There is a company CARR in gboro that sells them both and they both look like this...

Also is it worth it to go w/ the urethanes over the stock rubber green's? I hear that the green's aren't toooo strong?
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

I used the e28 M5 mounts and the motor doesn't move.

You can definitely feel the vibration. I'd almost recommend using something less firm.
    E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

good to know, maybe I'll stick to the green's then. Anyone else?
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Interesting idea. I wish the threaded portion of the green mounts were longer on the subframe side. If that urethane one is, I'd think about running one to prevent the mount from pulling through from torque lift, but I haven't seen this is a rampant problem so maybe the way it is works fine. I am a 'worst case scenario' type anyhow.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
          Interesting idea. I wish the threaded portion of the green mounts were longer on the subframe side. If that urethane one is, I'd think about running one to prevent the mount from pulling through from torque lift, but I haven't seen this is a rampant problem so maybe the way it is works fine. I am a 'worst case scenario' type anyhow.
          I have never had a problem with the green ones, I installed them as stock and they fit great. No cutting, no notching, no grinding off tabs.

Now, if someone wants a stiffer option, I HIGHLY recommend checking out Vorshlag. In the near future, they will be coming out with a product specifically for the e30/M50.

I have not seen any urethane or solid motor mounts that will work. It's not as simple as just copying the green ones in solid something-or-other since the green ones have a bit of give to them. You need to actually make the mounts different, which Vorshlag is working on now.

Comment

yeah the urethanes are shaped diff than the green's, weird

Comment

I don't think the one in the pic will work properly, depending on the height. Maybe if you mounted them funky in the subframe or slotted the subframe holes... the studs need to be spaced differently when the mount is solid. I have some pics that explain what I mean, but I'm not sure if the guys at Vorshlag would appreciate me posting their prototypes on the net. Trust me though, these are really nice pieces.

Comment

you NEED to reinforce your front subframe if you use urathane motormounts... just throwing that out there...

The greens work fine for me and are a perfect height and fit. They sit the engine as low as I would feel comfortable putting it
                e30sport.net
                '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

matt do you know about how long till they are done?

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                    I have never had a problem with the green ones, I installed them as stock and they fit great. No cutting, no notching, no grinding off tabs.
                    :up:

I have the stock green e28 M5 mounts in my turbocharged e28 M5. 3.8 liters, coil-on-plug, Schrick cam, 12 injectors, TEC3 6/12, Quaife rear.

The engine mounts have never failed.

And they are cheap.

Why would you want anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by dougsic View Post
                      :up:

I have the stock green e28 M5 mounts in my turbocharged e28 M5. 3.8 liters, coil-on-plug, Schrick cam, 12 injectors, TEC3 6/12, Quaife rear.

The engine mounts have never failed.

And they are cheap.

Why would you want anything else?

You sir are smart, oem ftmfw

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
                        matt do you know about how long till they are done?
                        Nope. I should be done with my part next week, I think.

Comment

Oh, so you guys aren't using extra washers with the green mounts to raise them?

Comment

Originally posted by mazur View Post
                            Oh, I forgot to mention that. Yes, I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mazur View Post
                              I am not using any washers to raise the engine. But I might be tomorrow!

Installing headers in the morning and I can't see how they are ever going to fit if I don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X