Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tranny are you going to run?

Aaron
    2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

sorry for the late reply, e36 with an e30 m3 drive shaft
      Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

I know the M50 swap requires the use of a M20 temperature sensor, do you have to swap the one in the head or just the use the original radiator sensor?

Also if someone has a few different diagrams for the late model e30 wiring harness it would be appreciated. Mine doesn't match the one brew has posted, there are a few pins that are different along with a few of the wire colors

Comment

New subject:

The dealership was going to replace the DME on a customer's 1993 325i. It is the m50tu.

Any way, the car is a manual car. The customer came in with a used DME from an automatic car. I know this to work because my swap was done with a DME and engine from an automatic e36. Well they said they would have to charge two hours labor or so to reprogram the DME for use with a manual trans, not to reset the codes, to reprogram it. Is this true? If so I need to have my DME reprogrammed and others may need to do the same!

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1
            New subject:

The dealership was going to replace the DME on a customer's 1993 325i. It is the m50tu.

Any way, the car is a manual car. The customer came in with a used DME from an automatic car. I know this to work because my swap was done with a DME and engine from an automatic e36. Well they said they would have to charge two hours labor or so to reprogram the DME for use with a manual trans, not to reset the codes, to reprogram it. Is this true? If so I need to have my DME reprogrammed and others may need to do the same!
            Nope not true. That delearship is full of shit. I had an auto E36 then switched it to manual. Used the same DME etc and was just fine.

Originally posted by DaveCN
            Welcome.

Your car is a piece of shit.

Most of them here are, too.

Comment

Originally posted by grapedrink
              New subject:

Nope not true. That delearship is full of shit. I had an auto E36 then switched it to manual. Used the same DME etc and was just fine.
              Thanks

Comment

I picked up a 93 325is for the swap, although I may sell the block/head and get an s50/s52 because it has 179,000 miles. What is involved in converting from obd-2 to obd-1 in case I get an s52?

I have an 85 325e, does that not have an engine plug? What wires would I be connecting and would it be worth it to get the treehouse racing connector?

I don't have ABS, and I removed my power steering and a/c, so this should be fairly cheap and easy. Just pick up a 325ix booster, 535i mounts, and do some custom exhaust, and that should be that right?
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

New subject:

oh, well. If you say so...

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                    New subject:

Bryson, do you knwo something we do not? Straight answer is my only request...

Comment

i've got most of my swap done. thanks kyle for your help...

i tried to start my car tonight but no go. seems like the fuel pumps not running so im thinking the dme..

i just realized at 2:00 am and 30 miles from my car that i didnt plug the red wires to power from the DME side in.

my harness is from a 92' 525. what are these for? im hoping this is whats causing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                        New subject:

Bryson, do you knwo something we do not? Straight answer is my only request...
                        Kyle, I don't know anything special, but this guy is coming off as a jerk. Just because it works in ONE application does not mean that it will work for all. I have seen several m50e30s run first try with factory chips and silver 413 DMEs, and it used to be "r3v fact" that silver label DMEs would not work.
                        I have also heard about the computers being different, from reliable sources too. Also note that the e36 auto harness is tied directly into the engine wiring harness (hmm, makes you wonder huh) and the e34 is completely separate.
                        I just really don't appreciate ignorance, especially when it is being used in this thread as an example for someone who might be considering the swap.

Comment

Do your guys check engine lights work for doing the stomp test to check codes from the M50? I have mine running (not really well though) and want to pull the codes but it doesn't work through my CE light right now. Just seeing if I need to hook up a light to another wire in the harness to be able to check the codes. Thanks for the help.

Comment

i could pull codes using the correct tool and using the gas-pedal-5-times thing

Comment

What all is required to get the engine running and driveable? I was an ass and pulled the wiring harness with out coding everything for an easy install... I'm completely lost now. I know I have the knock sensors- lol... thats about it. Anybody have a resource for wiring the engine back up? Can I get away with just running TPS, CPS, O2 for now? Its going to be perfect cabby weather soon and I HAVE to get this running :)

Thanks-
                              Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                              On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                              BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Originally posted by Addissimo
                                What all is required to get the engine running and driveable? I was an ass and pulled the wiring harness with out coding everything for an easy install... I'm completely lost now. I know I have the knock sensors- lol... thats about it. Anybody have a resource for wiring the engine back up? Can I get away with just running TPS, CPS, O2 for now? Its going to be perfect cabby weather soon and I HAVE to get this running :)

Thanks-
                                Addis
                                The TPS, ICV NEED to be hooked up to run. I'm not sure about the MAS but thats an easy one to hook up, so hook it up. Don't worry about the knock sensors or o2 sensor, they don't need to be hooked up at first, but should be hooked up.

If you have the intake mani off, its much easier to wire the motor, if not, take it off. You'll save your self a big headache.
                                91 m3

Comment

Working...
                                X