Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 m50 automatic...can it be done?

I am wondering what issuse's im going to have by using my stock auto trans for my m50 swap. Call me crazy, i know, but i want to keep it automatic for now, can i do this and what problems may i run into? thanks for your help..;)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dumpedgti View Post
      I am wondering what issuse's im going to have by using my stock auto trans for my m50 swap. Call me crazy, i know, but i want to keep it automatic for now, can i do this and what problems may i run into? thanks for your help..;)
      I am not sure how oil pickup will be affected since the transmission will be sitting at a lean -- I am not sure, but think this could be a problem. I also do not think that the autotragic shift linkage would be fun to modify.

Comment

Anyone know or remember what hose you use to go from the back of the motor to the inlet and/or outlet for the heater core?
        Last edited by permit; 12-31-2006, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I used an M20 hose.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

what is the part # for the cone filters u guys are usin?
            -Frank
            1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
            1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
            2001 525i

Comment

K&N RU-3570 Universal Rubber Filter

Believe it or not, Amazon had the best prices ($31).
              Mike

82 Alfa Spider (For Sale)
              86 944 Turbo
              87 CX25 TRD Turbo2
              89 405 Mi16
              89 Milano Verde
              89 Mondial t Coupe
              92 300D

Comment

Why not just buy a used E36 (93-95) instead of buying parts separately? Since I live in Europe there are E36 325's for 2000 euros.

I read quite lot of postings and it came to my mind just to buy used E36 take the necessary parts and sell the rest fo the parts. Buy that I could even cover some of the costs.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                  After spending almost 2 days of my free time reading and searching this thread, I still can't find any info on my transmission brace. I am doing an s50 swap into a 1988 e30 m3. I just got the motor, trans, ecu yesterday. I have a 1995 s50 motor, 1995 e36 ZF transmission, silver label 506 ECU. My biggest question is the stock e30 m3 transmission brace will not fit on the e36 ZF transmission?? Which transmission brace do I need to buy to get it to fit??? Will the stock e36 m3 ZF transmission brace fit an e30 chassis? any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan
                  1988 M3 (Diamondshwartz)
                  2004 M3 (SilverGray)

Comment

Originally posted by e30ryan///m3 View Post
                    Hi Everyone,
                    After spending almost 2 days of my free time reading and searching this thread, I still can't find any info on my transmission brace. ..........Will the stock e36 m3 ZF transmission brace fit an e30 chassis? any help is greatly appreciated.
                    Ryan
                    e30 325 brace. cheers, jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post

Thanks Jason
                      1988 M3 (Diamondshwartz)
                      2004 M3 (SilverGray)

Comment

I'm an e30 nOOb and was planing on doing a M52 swap into a '86 325es. I have a list of everything i could think of that I would need...

M52,e36 trans, e21 brake booster, guage cluster, e34 M5 Motor mounts, wiring adapter, e21 Trans Mounts, e34 m50 pwered throttle cable, 413 or 502 DME ecu, and i've heard that i can either use a 318i driveshaft or an e30M3 front driveshaft section, Any preference?...

Anything that i missed??

e30ryan- Was your car at Nopi 2006 at atlanta motor speedway by anychance (cabrio replica)??

Comment

http://www.e30dohc.com/wiki/index.ph...ecial:Allpages

look here
                          1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
                          1987 e30 325 eta
                          1983 e28 533
                          2001 x5 4.4l
                          1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
                          1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Help with M50

Hey guys can any one give me some info on where to get the sensors i need for the M50. The M50 I have came out of a 94 325i. In that car went an S52 out of a 99 M3. The owner then used all of the OBD1 parts off of the M50 to make the S52 OBD1. So now that I have the motor im starting to find little things i need to get the engine beck to normal.
                            So him and I are thinking that the crank position sensor and that cam position sensor, are now on the S52 and that i need to buy new sensors for the M50. Can any one help me out with where this info is i cant find it and if any one has any of these and wants to get rid of them i am thinking i need them but not sure.. Any help guys

Comment

Go to the classifieds either here or bf.c, and post a wtb for all the sensors you need.
                              91 m3

Comment

As long as the temperature sensors are still installed in the head, all you really need are the two knock sensors, cam and crank position sensors, and Vanos solenoid, if he removed that from the engine.

Originally posted by whysimon
                                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                                X