Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny View Post
    I did search.

I'm trying to clarify.
    If you searched you would have found the threads that answered your question w/ getrag 240 in the title in the 24v section.

M50's are definitely worth it. I went from m42 to m50 and its worlds different. I kept the small case 4.10 gears and tranny and its held up to lots of abuse without any issues. Yes an m50NV can be redone, but it is a bit misleading. If you start with an m50tu(vanos m50) you can simply get new crank and rods and bore out the cylinder and then either put the bigger valves in the head or get an s50 head, but not a huge deal to keep stock head, just won't flow as great. And w/ an m50tu you can put s50 cams right in, whereas w/ an m50nv you can't.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52
        i think that sums this up. but it all depends on what you want the car for (fi, nautral)
        Danny, I understand where your comin from, but yeah...
        One thing that never got edited in those threads is that an m50 dual mass clutch for whatever reason doesn't work w/ the 240. Stupid idea, but I did it cuz I had all the parts there, but clutch just doesn't feel right, doesn't completely disengage. asubimmer and I both have threads started about the idea, and that's what I went off of, so all the info besides what I just mentioned is all good and correct to the best of my knowledge

I agree about FI or NA a NV would be great for FI. But he mentioned being able to build it up to s50 so I kinda tried to address that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny
          Eh, you can go to hell ;)

I did search but I felt uncomfortable on the answers provided.

Thanks for clearing it up however.
          so do you feel uncomfortable about everything then? sence all your posts are one liners.

nv m50 with a holset turbo is what im thinhing about doing soon or maybe go fi with my s52. i really want to get a front splitter from you though.

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
            so do you feel uncomfortable about everything then? sence all your posts are one liners.

nv m50 with a holset turbo is what im thinhing about doing soon or maybe go fi with my s52. i really want to get a front splitter from you though.
            It sucks I'm stuck on the other side of the state haha, otherwise I'd most definitely be there in a heartbeat to get one made...
            If you go FI, check into m52's, thicker walls than s52, cardcounter on bimmerforums was able to pull 700hp out of his before it let go because of bad tune. He rebuilt it and now has around 1000, cant remember exact numbers. I'm helping a friend build up an m50 turbo for an e30, so now I got bit by the turbo bug...

Comment

After working on my friends 95 325is yesterday (and the weekend before) I never actually realized how simple they are to take apart. We did a lot of cleaning up, new gaskets and hoses and replacing broken vacuum lines, and she runs like a champ.

I never realized how cheap M50tu engines can go for. I guess I just have to be careful that they werent overheated (I would plan to dissassemble it anyway and clean everything out), and I have an 88 325is, so keeping my gearbox saves a ton of work on the other end as far as rotating parts and DS.

Comment

granted my mechanic has had my car for 2 months, 1 month, including the recent M50tu swap :-(... i am about to have the M50 in my 89 325i can't wait to drive it if i ever get it back that is. I was a little worried since i know about 80% of the M20 and 10% of the M50 i am glad to hear its simple. I will also be doing a little refreshining.

Comment

Originally posted by breaknwrite View Post
                  granted my mechanic has had my car for 2 months, 1 month, including the recent M50tu swap :-(... i am about to have the M50 in my 89 325i can't wait to drive it if i ever get it back that is. I was a little worried since i know about 80% of the M20 and 10% of the M50 i am glad to hear its simple. I will also be doing a little refreshining.

Should have done that before you put the motor in!

Im overhauling all the hoses and everything before mine goes in....always nice when you got a sick connection at the dealership :)

Comment

yea us broke college students have to take it one step at a time lol.
                    Step 1. - put m50 in car
                    Step 2. - refresh m50.
                    Step 3. - S50 conversion

and of course all the projects inbetween :-D.

Comment

Im thinking of doing an m50, ive got a line on one.. But this is a little daunting...

How long would this take for someone who knows what theyre doing being helped by someone whos never done a swap before[me]

Comment

3 days

Comment

Yeah, I think hoveringuy did the swap in a weekend, alone, and I believe it was his first swap. That was the fastest for solo swap with a guy who hadn't swapped in an M5x into the engine bay before that I've heard of. Sure, to move a swap from one car to another probably takes a long day, but there will likely be hiccups here and there.

To save time you should prep the engine completely on a stand before you drop it in. I did not remove the hood. I hate aligning it after removing it. I went in with a hoist from the side.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Wow, that is fast.. I may consider it

Alot of hidden costs though?

Comment

not really... Make sure you plan it thoroughly and get all the components/parts you need before hand. Replace everything on a donor that makes sense to replace while the engine is out, because working on something when its in e30 is harder.

Things you should consider replacing before putting the engine in:
                              Clutch (if its not too "healthy")
                              Throw out bearing
                              Rear Seal (if its showing any signs of leaking)
                              water pump
                              thermostat (i used 176 deg)
                              aluminum thermostat housing
                              Oil Pan gasket (obviously)
                              valve cover gasket
                              drive belt(s)
                              any seal on tranny that shows signs of leaking.
                              if you're not panning on hooking AC, now is a good time to remove compressor and a bracket it sits in.
                              replace bolts and washers for power steering hoses (or they will leak).

Most of the items listed are not super expensive, but definatly adds up to a nice sum by the time everything is done.

btw, I will probably be putting my e30/s50 up for sale this spring...8)

Comment

So, If I'm running an s52 with the e36 M3 ZF trans, and e36 M3 Driveshaft...

I should be able to use the e28 Medium case diff??

Comment

Working...
                                X