Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man this thread can drive you insane trying to get answers to questions. Some one needs to brake this thread into sections or chapters!!

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what brake MC to use with my E30 ix booster? Is it the 25mm from an E34 M5? Or can i also use the MC & reservoir from a E32 735i/iL?

And for those of you with the NV M50 set up with the E36 325i tranny, do I need to change out the diff. or can I leave my stock one in? If I need to change, I probably should go with the 3.25 lsd to not have it screaming loud which will happen if I did the 3.73 lsd?

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Devil View Post
      Man this thread can drive you insane trying to get answers to questions. Some one needs to brake this thread into sections or chapters!!

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what brake MC to use with my E30 ix booster? Is it the 25mm from an E34 M5? Or can i also use the MC & reservoir from a E32 735i/iL?

And for those of you with the NV M50 set up with the E36 325i tranny, do I need to change out the diff. or can I leave my stock one in? If I need to change, I probably should go with the 3.25 lsd to not have it screaming loud which will happen if I did the 3.73 lsd?
      In the case of your diff, what do you have there now? Whatever you have in there will work, just the gear ratio might not be ideal. Well, so long as the flange matches up with the new driveshaft that you are going to use, which it should. I'm not fully sure, so someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever diff you have. (if you have an eta (aka 2.91) then you probably want to get something shorter (3.25, 3.46) for performance, but won't need to.
      Originally posted by z31maniac
      I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Couple of cooling system/cooling questions I wanted to throw in here.

75 Degree Thermostat with no mech. fan but add an electric fan?

What hoses to use? Seems some say E36. Some say E34. Using E36 aluminum radiator.

Anything other tricky cooling things going on? Trying to buy up all the small parts to have them ready.

Comment

Couple of cooling system/cooling questions I wanted to throw in here.

75 Degree Thermostat with no mech. fan but add an electric fan?

What hoses to use? Seems some say E36. Some say E34. Using E36 aluminum radiator.

Anything other tricky cooling things going on? Trying to buy up all the small parts to have them ready.
          hoses depend on rad and which M/S5x you get, with late E30 rad, M50, i used E36 hoses, mine fit with no mods

I still have the stock thermostat (92NV E34) and electric fans on sensor(from E30) the guage sits dead in the center of the temp guage. Fans only kick in if the car is idling for 5+ minutes when at temp

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Cool. I have an aluminum E36 radiator.

Comment

Brake reservoir off a E32 7 series v8 works. You need the fittings, rubber grommets, and reservoir. You can use 1/4" fuel line for lines, or get some braided from BMW. Only problem is, you need to get a 1/4" T fitting for the clutch or run a separate reservoir for the clutch. I mounted mine to the back part of the air box bracket.
              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Devil View Post

I just used the Master Cylinder that came with the ix booster, works great.
                Greg
                1987 SE30 Race Car
                1989 325is DD
                1990 325is(TrackRod)
                1969 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Comment

Im going to be doing a S50 swap and just have a couple questions, I have the complete M3 that I'm getting the engine from and I'm going to use the transmisson from that car, can I use the drive shaft aswell or do I have to get the 328is drive shaft?

Can I use my stock brake booster and just move it over 1/2" or is it better to get the E21 booster? it seems most people go for the e21 booster is there any special reason for this?I would rather use the money for the e21 booster for headers or somthing.

Comment

You have to use the 328is drive shaft. The rear flange to the diff on the M3 will have a 6-bolt CV style joint and the 328is has the 4-bolt u-joint style.

1988 Bronzitbeige Metallic 325e 2-door S50 turbo (OO=( )=OO)
                    2008 VW Rabbit
                    1991 Audi 200 20vtq Wagon

Comment

Cool thanks, also what do you gusy do for exhaust setup? Do most of you just run headers and then the factory system after? I ask because i have my 3" exhasut from my turbo setup but i think that might be a bit over kill for a NA motor thoughts on this? I also may have access to a reworked factory system with a SS rear muffler.

Comment

I made my own.

1988 Bronzitbeige Metallic 325e 2-door S50 turbo (OO=( )=OO)
                        2008 VW Rabbit
                        1991 Audi 200 20vtq Wagon

Comment

Hi all, got a couple of questions. I've got the M52 2.8 with OBD II in the E30 and now running, except for a slight drivability issue.
                          When on a contstant throttle setting, at any speed, it will start coughing slightly and gets jerky. When I lift my foot, it backfires a lot on the overrun.
                          At idle, it idles smoothly for about 30 secs, at around 600 rpm then it drops to 500, and sounds a little lumpy or fluffy. Like its fueling up.
                          Any ideas on the cause?

Also I have the E30 A/C fan in front of the radiator. How do I wire it to activate when the car gets hot

Here's some pics of the car:
                          Last edited by IanS_in_Oz; 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM.
                          sigpic
                          BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_in_Oz View Post
                            Hi all, got a couple of questions. I've got the M52 2.8 with OBD II in the E30 and now running, except for a slight drivability issue.
                            When on a contstant throttle setting, at any speed, it will start coughing slightly and gets jerky. When I lift my foot, it backfires a lot on the overrun.
                            At idle, it idles smoothly for about 30 secs, at around 600 rpm then it drops to 500, and sounds a little lumpy or fluffy. Like its fueling up.
                            Any ideas on the cause?

Also I have the E30 A/C fan in front of the radiator. How do I wire it to activate when the car gets hot

Here's some pics of the car:

btw.......car looks very good. Are those oe BMW wheels from an e46 model>
                            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Yeah, street wheels are E46 330Ci 17 x 8
                              sigpic
                              BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

Sounds like a fueling issue.
                                Either a failing fuel pressure regulator or inadequate fuel volume.
                                If it gets worse as you increase load, then I'd check that the fuel filter is clear and that the pump is fit.

m

Comment

Working...
                                X