Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how to make a tranny bracket so you can use our stock gearbox?
    Dimensions would be great.

Comment

Here's a link to Redbaron's thread on unofficialbmw about the transmission bracket he made: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/cgi-bin...c&f=1&t=006347
      '91 318is
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1
        Originally posted by kylebes1
        got a question about mounting the m50. Project ORCA(got it for a fall back) has a custom fabbed plate that acts as a spacer and to move the hole more outward(i thnk), is this necessary?
        You don't have to move the mounting holes. With my 535i motor mounts turned 180 degrees, it fit fine. I cut my exhaust side motor mount just a bit for clearance on the frame rail (ala ORCA), but that isn't always necessary. For example, Bryson didn't have to cut his, IIRC. Just check for clearance on your own car once the motor is in.

Comment

thanks for the help, I am kinda in a corner about the diff and drivshaft. I have a darn 3.91 LSD and with the m50 having a 1:1 top gear there is now way that the 3.91 will work out.

I was told I can use the e28 diff, would that be a manual 535? or 528? I can get either, also which driveshaft will I need to use with this?

Comment

Which transmission are you using?
            '91 318is
            sigpic

Comment

I am using the following:

1993 VANOS m50 engine

m50 e36 manual trans

Now what I need to work out is a 3.25 LSD, I was told the e28 535 has that and I have access to one. And the proper driveshaft.

Comment

Make sure its an S diff. not all 535s had LSD.

My understanding is that you can use your stock driveshaft with a regular old 325i tranny.
                Im now E30less.
                sigpic

Comment

What about injectors and chips? What seems to be the popular flow rate and who makes custom burned chips?

Aaron
                  2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_silva
                    What about injectors and chips? What seems to be the popular flow rate and who makes custom burned chips?

Aaron
                    Injectors
                    325i, '95 M3 = 17.5# (blue top)
                    328i, 3.2 M3 = 21.5# (purple top)
                    Conforti offers 24# injectors. They are nice because of the 4-pintal design,
                    but 24 lbs/hr of fuel is overkill for almost any M/S50.

Another option for increased fuel delivery is an adjustable FPR. I run one of these on my 3.0L with 17.5# injectors. Taking the fuel pressure from stock (52psi) to around 60-64 will give you right-now throttle response and good times at high revs.

Chips:
                    Active Autowerke (www.aatuning.com)
                    GIAC (?)
                    Chuck Stickley

Comment

shitft kit?

Use an E30 linkage and arm or e36 linkage? I have an E30 setup but if I have to I have no problem switching to the E36 SSK.
                      Im now E30less.
                      sigpic

Comment

thought the complete e36 would work? if it does that is waht I am doinf for now, I have a small time frame, engine out tomorrow, drivign course (for speeding ticket) and m50 mok Saturday. SUnday is a day of rest. Monday evening my ZA flywheel; kit had better be here. then the cluch and stuff and off I go!!

Comment

A popular mod for the vanos engine is to put in M3 cams. M3 cams dont work in the non-vanos yet you can achieve the same "spec." by swaping the intake to the exhaust side, and buy a new (Schrick) intake cam.

Now...a few questions...
                          1) Who sells a single cam?
                          2) The non vanos comes with hot cams already...will the cam swap make for a good street setup?
                          3) Are the gains worth the cost?

Any other info would be great.

Aaron
                          2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Zionsville sells the m3 set for 300 i think, they might sell you one.

Can I put an intake cam on my exhaust side of my VANOS m50? they are different aren't they

Comment

M3 cams wont work in a non vanos engine. I believe the single vanos controls the intake cam. The non vanos intake cam is the same profile (not sure about the lift) as a M3 exhaust cam. Then you get a custom cam (I belive 252 with 10.2mm of lift) to put in the intake side, giving you M3 profiles.

How good is this with the 2.5 bottom end?

Aaron
                              2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

i have heard with a freer flowing exhaust, and filter cams alone will produce 240 hp for a m50, 2.5 bottom

Comment

Working...
                                X