Massive lifter tick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive lifter tick?

So some of you have been following my progress with the car.

First vid is before I plugged the O2 Sensor.

I changed oil to 5w30 and the tick is still there but I haven't driven very far with it.

I will say that this freakin thing HAULS ASS though :)

On to the vid's:

O2 Sensor installed:

This shit sounds WEIRD.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be besides the lifters not fully oiled up?

Also on a side note...

The rear brakes seem to be locking up somewhat because when I stop the car and turn it of its nearly IMPOSSIBLE to move it forward or backward.

However I jacked it up, checked the fluid in the diff and everything was cool.

Any ideas here too? I should probably post this in the general section because it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the 24V, but any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks
    Last edited by dude8383; 09-15-2012, 12:27 PM.
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Sounds exactly how my motor did when i dropped 4 valves, i just rebuilt the motor and am currently pulling my hair out because the thing sounds like a chainsaw... I am really hoping its the timing chain being stretched out but if it isnt i have another bad head.

Comment

Originally posted by Widm3r View Post
      Sounds exactly how my motor did when i dropped 4 valves, i just rebuilt the motor and am currently pulling my hair out because the thing sounds like a chainsaw... I am really hoping its the timing chain being stretched out but if it isnt i have another bad head.

that is not something i would to hear. wouldn't i be getting blue smoke then?

but thank you nonetheless!

Comment

vanos? does it go away once the engine is warm?

wrong flywheel bolts??
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Well, if you just rebuilt the engine and only ran it a few miles, you will need to bleed the lifters by running them at elevated rpm for a little while. I didn't listen to the vid because I don't have speakers on my computer. :D

Did you use new lifters? If you used the old lifters, did you place them back in their original bores? They develop a wear pattern with the bore they're in, so if you randomly put them back in, they might not pump up properly.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
            Well, if you just rebuilt the engine and only ran it a few miles, you will need to bleed the lifters by running them at elevated rpm for a little while. I didn't listen to the vid because I don't have speakers on my computer. :D

Did you use new lifters? If you used the old lifters, did you place them back in their original bores? They develop a wear pattern with the bore they're in, so if you randomly put them back in, they might not pump up properly.
            yeah mine got mixed up when i did my head job, and now they tick, but nowhere close to the noise in the vid. i do not think the OP's noise is lifters.

Comment

OT: does anybody know if it is possible to stretch the timing chain?

Comment

That does not sound like lifter tick. Almost sounds as if one of your timing chain rails is loose or your main chain tensioner isnt lined up properly. Try taking the valve cover off while its running. Itll be messy and run like shit but you might be able to isolate the noise better.

And I DEFINITELY wouldnt be driving it around with that noise.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

I plugged in some speakers. That is definitely not lifter tick.

When you installed the chain tensioner, did you make sure the fork engaged the main tensioner?

Comment

When you installed the chain tensioner, did you make sure the fork engaged the main tensioner?
                    thats sounds like a likely problem. that engine sounds like my m42 when the tensioner took a shit.

Comment

interesting...how should it be aligned then? i made sure to release the tensioner when i installed it, i just have no idea if there is a specific orientation.

the bentley didn't really explain it too well.

oh and the lifters are used however i matched them to each bore.

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen View Post
                        That does not sound like lifter tick. Almost sounds as if one of your timing chain rails is loose or your main chain tensioner isnt lined up properly. Try taking the valve cover off while its running. Itll be messy and run like shit but you might be able to isolate the noise better.

And I DEFINITELY wouldnt be driving it around with that noise.
                        jeez it will run like that? is that even safe for the motor?

Comment

no, if the chain is loose, it can jump a tooth and fubar yer engine.

EDIT: oh, yer talkin about running with teh VC off....sounds sketchy/

Comment

Basically, the groove in the tensioner should mate up directly with the main tensioner rail.

Comment

Basically, the groove in the tensioner should mate up directly with the main tensioner rail.
                              the main tensioner is wider than the groove in the chain tensioner...i'm not really sure what you mean.

sorry if im being a bit thick about this.

do you have a pic by any chance?

also i should mention that when i timed the head and block, i used the cam lock tool and the chain tensioner tool as well. when i finished timing both i installed the chain tensioner...it felt like it was pushing against the tensioner rail quite nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X