Mounting IX booster right to firewall and master cylinder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting IX booster right to firewall and master cylinder question

Well I bought a 325ix Brake Booster and plan to mount it without the spacer in the rear. I cut and tapped the rod down.
    Here's a picture of the modified rod

Rod measured and adjusted to be same length as stock booster

I bought a 25mm master cylinder from flying brick but it doesn't fit the wider studs on the front of the ix booster. And it doesn't reach inside the push rod that would push on the master. So i guess you have to use the master from a 325ix as well?
    You can see in this picture the mounting studs for the master are wider on the ix booster and the push rod that push on the master is sunk in on the ix booster. Were the stock rod is almost flush.

So my questions are:

1. Do i have to use a master from a 325ix or 735i?
    2. It seems that the ix booster master mounting studs are at a 45* angle. (Were the stock booster has the studs to mount to master horizontal.)
    3. Are all the 325ix or 735i masters all 25mm?

Thanks

I would suggest an e34 M5 master cylinder. It is also 25mm bore.

Comment

But will the e34 m5 master mount to the ix booster?

Comment

Fuck, Why didn't I do this?

Looks good.
        1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

I searched and found that the E34 M5 and 735i do fit. I'll post pictures when i mount the booster. The unit that i bought was a ATE unit part number 34 31 1 156 643 this will not fit the 325ix booster. I found this part number on realoem for the Girling unit, is this the correct one 34 3 31 156 978?
          Last edited by surebimmer; 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM.

Comment

cool thanks for the tip. going to get my ix/e32 booster/master cylinder this weekend.

Comment

Slotted the fire wall and mounted the brake booster.

Waiting on the correct master.

Comment

i did the same thing man. the resevoir clears that intake boot by millimiters.

Im current using the MC from a 735i, but the booster (and backup MC) came from an IX. They are the same...or very similar, but either works and that's what you want to hear. Also, m50 5-series boosters also seemed to be the same. I saw a couple at the junkyard and didn’t take them because ialready had a backup. i have access to soo many good parts mwahaha
                No more e30s for me.
                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

I just bought a complete Brake booster + bracket + MC + reservoir out of an ix and I'm planning to put it on my 325is, is there a way to install it w/o modifications?

E30 325is '89
                  E46 330ci '04

Comment

yep bolt it like it is, but you'll need to remote mount the resevoir. be it via flex lines or whatever you can cook up. i suggest you do what this guy here did.
                    No more e30s for me.
                    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                    91 BMW 325i [sold]
                    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Bringing this thread back, Surebimmer do you have any pictures of it with the engine / master and res. installed?

and have you had any problems since?

I'm also curious as to what the purpose of that spacer is for. Can anyone chime in on that?

Thanks a lot
                      -Cam
                      Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

By the way guys e36 masters fit, I think 325i's have 23ish mm masters and M3's have 25-26mm, with the 96-99 m3's having the biggest of the bunch. realoem tells you the bore size when you look it up, too late and I'm too sleepy, but I love my IX booster installed with factory spacer thing, 98 m3 master and e36 m3 front brakes.

Comment

Can I see a picture from the Inside of the firewall where the Booster bolts up too? I may be salving my own problem, thank you for this interesting post!

Simplicity is your best option!

Comment

i also mounted my IX booster straight to the firewall, but i used the IX master as well and just bent the hard lines to fit. HOWEVER i neglected to shorten the push rod and now i have a retarded brake pedal height...
                            IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Here are the pictures from the inside. I used two self locking nut so they shouldn't back out. I ended up using a 25mm master cylinder from a e32 735i.

Comment

Working...
                              X