head rebuild tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head rebuild tips?

Hey everyone, hoping someone could help me fill the gaps in my knowledge here. i have an m52b28 swapped into my e30 running a precision 5777 turbo. It is an absolute beast now that i am getting the tuning smoothed out, but i think I am going to need a head rebuild as it appears i may have a bad valve.

One of my buddies works for a heavy equipment shop and has access to their machines shop at cost. They work on tons of straight 6's, so this would be right in their wheelhouse. He has had lots of his other projects done by them as well, so i am confident that with proper supplied specs they should be able to help me out. That being said, what am i looking for in regards to letting them know what i need? I don't want to do anything crazy at this point since the car is making more then enough power for me at this point, soi i just likely need them to clean up the head, valves, and press in new valve guides and seals. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to specs/procedures? i can't seem to find anything useful from my searching.

It's all just basic head work. Machine shops that do that kind of thing, should know how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
      It's all just basic head work. Machine shops that do that kind of thing, should know how to do it.
      Normally I would agree, but my buddy work for a heavy equipment company that has their own machine shop. They do TONS of rebuilds on large cat diesel engines. The shop lets the employees bring their own project in and get the work done at cost. This might be me own naivety, but wouldn't they need to have specs for everything in some form or another? They don't' specialize in road cars, and they definitely don't have a spec sheet, book, or electronic database of what a BMW head should be specced out at.

Comment

Depends how much you trust your buddy i suppose. For the price i would just be dropping it off at someone who knows what they are doing and be done. Good for another 200,000 miles then with no questions.

Ulimately all the data you seek exists somewhere. See if you can find the bentley manual for whatever car you got that ginseng from (E36?)

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Depends how much you trust your buddy i suppose. For the price i would just be dropping it off at someone who knows what they are doing and be done. Good for another 200,000 miles then with no questions.

Ulimately all the data you seek exists somewhere. See if you can find the bentley manual for whatever car you got that ginseng from (E36?)
          I trust my buddy completely, he's a gearhead like me, and has had the company machine shop do a few of his projects before as well. I'm not worried about the machine shops quality of work, they routinely work on multi hundred thousand dollar engines. I'm more worried about finding the right specs to provide which I haven't been able to find yet.

The motor is an m52b28 from a late model e39. I'll keep trying to look for specs, but hus far searching google hasn't yielded me anything. I also always worry about trusting any old source online.

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post

I trust my buddy completely, he's a gearhead like me, and has had the company machine shop do a few of his projects before as well. I'm not worried about the machine shops quality of work, they routinely work on multi hundred thousand dollar engines. I'm more worried about finding the right specs to provide which I haven't been able to find yet.

The motor is an m52b28 from a late model e39. I'll keep trying to look for specs, but hus far searching google hasn't yielded me anything. I also always worry about trusting any old source online.

NewTIS.info is the source you seek. You will need to spend some time searching but I found the valve seat machining procedure and specs readily:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...th-lid/2YTc4sE

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that. I had someone recommend me I believe the same site on another forum. The issue I come up with when you start looking at the specs it labels them as something else. I looked at your link, and when you click the link for the actual specs it lists it as m56 12 cylinder head...The specs are probably right, but its one of those things that become hard to trust when the labels don't seem accurate.

EDIT-I now see how it is listed for multiple, my bad.

Comment

Working...
              X