Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Various Questions M50B25 NV

Hi all,

So I bought a M50 swapped 325i a few years ago. Just starting to get around to looking at it.

I think it was never started since it doesnt have the harnesses spliced together. Issue is, I started looking a little deeper and I found some interesting things.

There is a 413 ecu in it. I know this is not a good idea. Is there a quick reference for me to check to see if this guy swapped the cam sensor and crank trigger?

Do I need to run a fan on the engine? Or is an electric fan sufficient?

Is there a way to find out what production date car the engine came from by the engine serial? That would help me track down a replacement engine harness and ECU.

Check out this transmission crossmember. Sketchy is not the word.

"Dolphins aren't so smart, they can't even engineer an E-diff"

So to answer my questions:

Sensors on engine appear to be regular non-vanos. MAF plug was spliced on to the harness to run the early MAF so its defintely a vanos harness.

Going to run a SPAL puller fan that the PO graciously left me in a box and remove the mech one. Theres a new rad on it.

Engine came from an early E36. Trans is a G260 with white325is' crossmember. I'm still not sure about that crossmember though I understand he was the guy for them. Might beef it up a bit.

Found a 403 ECU on ebay for cheap so I snapped that up. Now I just need a manual E36 non-vanos harness.

Only cut wires on the body electrics are the ones that go to the missing cruise actuator. I'll have to get a new actuator, I assume the E30 actuator can be hooked up to the E36 TB.

Comment

I can only help a little bit: Yes, the E30 Cruise Control Actuator can be hooked up to the E36 throttle body.

Comment

Cool, thanks. Every little bit helps. I want this car to be a fully functional E30 on the inside, so I want cruise and AC. There are no AC parts on this engine so its a blank slate, I'll have to get a full new AC setup, but that should mean that it'll work great.

Now that I mostly know where I'm at, I think I can confidently take the car apart and get to work. Needs some bodywork so I'm going to build a rotisserie and fully strip it. I've got all the steel piled under the car, just need to loan a hoist and call out some buddies to strip the car.

Comment

I had to do the AC for my M50 swap. My setup was: E36 compressor with E30 everything else. This means that you only have to modify the two hoses going to the compressor. I had a hose shop modify my E30 lines to fit.

You will also have to adjust your harness to connect to the ac system.

I used Zionsville Autosport's Project Orca as a guide. They only charged $10 for a lot of technical detail.

Comment

e34's had NV m50's too, but the ECU connector trunk is a little short for an e30.

That transmission cross-member is actually a well known and proven design. A member here was selling them a long time ago, and now Condor even sells them (I have personally used them in customer cars, never had a failure). When using the G260 trans with a 24v, the trans has to lean over 10°, so the stock ones don't work - however you can use an e36 trans with the stock e30 brace.

Our G260 transmission swap brace for 24v swap are used for swapping a 24v motor into a BMW E30. Shop our full selection of BMW performance parts and more!
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              e34's had NV m50's too, but the ECU connector trunk is a little short for an e30.

That transmission cross-member is actually a well known and proven design. A member here was selling them a long time ago, and now Condor even sells them (I have personally used them in customer cars, never had a failure). When using the G260 trans with a 24v, the trans has to lean over 10°, so the stock ones don't work - however you can use an e36 trans with the stock e30 brace.

https://www.condorspeedshop.com/prod...-m50-52-s50-52

Thanks, I did see that after. This one is the one the member here was making. I suppose the engine mounts are meant to take the majority of the forces, and this one is just to stop the assembly from rotating up and down. Just looked a little weird at first glance. I can just sandblast and POR15 it before it goes back on. Maybe add a little gusseting first, we'll see what I think when I get it off.

I think I'll get the E36 harness if I can find one, I have a 403 ECU coming now, spotted one on ebay for a good price.

Comment

Working...
              X