Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another fan question (thinking about running a single fan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another fan question (thinking about running a single fan)

Hi r3v, I want to apologize in advance for the flaming I'm probably going to get because this topic is likely beaten to death. But truthfully I wasn't able to find any decent information on this and I did search the site and google as well.

In any case, with my current M20 setup, I am just running a stock mechanical fan clutch with no aux fan. I'm swapping in an S50US motor. Now I know I'm likely going to have no room for a mechanical fan clutch at the front of my engine after it's swapped, so my question is would I be OK with just running a single fan (in place of where my aux fan used to be) to cool the engine and just deleting my mechanical fan clutch? Or would I definitely need to run both a thin electric fan where my mechanical fan clutch used to be, and also re-install my aux fan?

Worth noting that I do not and will not have AC. Also I will be running a standard size radiator, so not doing the M42 small radiator with the integrated tank.

Thanks

Hello buddy,i currently have a big single spal fan on my M50,where the aux was...Even with the small M42 radiator and with Greece's high ambient temperature during summer,it always stay at optimal level. Im using a Thermostat switch from a E36 with air con (if u are interested i can tell you the PN,right now the car is at my workplace,i ll go tomorrow there)...
    Instagram

Comment

Same here, but with an M52. I would have preferred the clutch fan, but it's a bit tight so I've been running a single electric fan.
      The fan has been doing its job perfectly since installing it 6 years ago.
      Also standard size radiator here, and no A/C.

Comment

Originally posted by 323i E30 View Post
        Same here, but with an M52. I would have preferred the clutch fan, but it's a bit tight so I've been running a single electric fan.
        The fan has been doing its job perfectly since installing it 6 years ago.
        Also standard size radiator here, and no A/C.
        Thanks for the feedback! Are you running your electric fan as a pusher in front of the radiator, or as a puller where the mechanical fan clutch used to be? Also which model fan did you go with?
        Last edited by mike87; 05-08-2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

It's a pusher fan. I don't remember the brand of it.
          I did have an issue with the cooling system 2 years ago, but that was not fan-related. You can see the setup in the video I made back then.
          (Flushing the engine solved that by the way)

Comment

Maybe you can use the mechanical e30 fan with an e30 radiator, or just the puller? I couldn't fit a puller fan with the larger e36 radiator and certainly not the mechanical, so I just use a single pusher, the SPAL 16in that's rated for 1600 cfm.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback

Comment

Originally posted by mike87 View Post
                Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback
                You want to read this thread, also I would use the oem e36 pusher fan over the aftermarket stuff. Good luck!

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...-wiring-thread

Comment

The diesel m21 mechanical fan works with the mishimoto radiators if you really want to keep the clutch type setup. Get the lower temp rad switch to kick that aux fan on earlier as well.
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

I went with the e36 diesel fan and a 85 C temp switch for the aux fan. When the aux fan cant manage the clutch fan kicks in. Works awesome.

At the race track.

Comment

very simple, either keep the stock aux fan or change it to a spal or something equivalent, wire it using the factory aux fan harness, then you jump it so there is no low speed on first fan turn on, just high speed. Combine with an e36 m44 rad switch and you're good to go! I have run this setup since 2008 on all my m/s50-54 swaps without issues or ever overheating. You can run any radiator setup this way and it will fit (m20, m42 or e36 etc)

edit; and yes, with my setups i have never run clutch fans and don't plan to. For a/c cars i reccommend running dual slim aux fans in front and behind rad, one as a pusher the other as a puller. This is what i'm doing on my current turbo s52 build, i'm also running a third 8 inch fan on my oil cooler, yes i know it's overkill.
                      check out my swap thread =]: swap thread

Comment

Working...
                      X