Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Used a Valeo Single Mass Flywheel Kit w/ 24v Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Anyone Used a Valeo Single Mass Flywheel Kit w/ 24v Swap?

Interested to see if anyone on here has used a VALEO Single Mass Flywheel Conversion kit with a 24v swap e30. My clutch isn't fully disengaging and is very hard to get into 1st or Reverse gear at a full stop. I've replaced the Slave and Master twice now, I'm also confident the system is fully bleed and no air is left in the system (I performed the "reverse bleed" procedure and bleed the system normally multiple times).

Is anyone here successfully using a VALEO Single Mass Kit (specially the e36 328i VALEO clutch kit)? VALEO part number 5240120. I'm confident my issue is the clutch disk not fully disengaging from the flywheel, but I'm not certain what the cause is. I've concluded it can be one of three possibility's.

-The Clutch Disc is sticking on the splines of the transmission input shaft.

-My Brand New pressure plate is faulty

-The stock e30 Master Cylinder doesn't "pump" enough fluid to the e36 slave cylinder, to fully disengage a VALEO 5240120 single mass flywheel/ pressure plate combo.

I've already refereed to the BMW SIB 23 01 99. I am 100% confident this is a clutch disengagement issue.

I am using a e36 328i ZF transmission. I replaced the;

- Clutch Fork
    - Pivot Pin
    - Redline Transmission Fluid
    - Rebuilt Shift Linkage
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KIRIEIW; 05-31-2020, 09:01 PM.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Are u using a longer throw out bearing? From what I read, the single mass flywheel is thinner than the dual, thus a deeper throw out bearing on the trans snot is needed. I think an article I read suggested using a 1980’s 320i throw out bearing. I look around my files to see if I can find that part number and confirm it was a 320i. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Aloha Norm

Comment

I saw this review on FCPEuro but I'd hate to pull the entire trans. install a new throw out bearing and have no change.. I'm using the same exact clutch kit in my e34 S50 swap.. with the throwout bearing included in the kit. The only difference(s) between my e30 and e34 is the clutch master cylinder. I had to use a e30 clutch master for obvious reasons.

The clutch line to the slave, the slave cylinder, VALEO clutch kit, ect is all the same.

Either this kit isn't compatible with 24v swaps because of the e30 clutch master, or I got a faulty kit. I can't think of anything else but I'm all ears.

Attached Files

Comment

Euro 323i throw out bearing - see: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ow-out-bearing Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Aloha Norm

Comment

Thanks man appreciate the help, plan on ordering a 323i bearing now after reading the thread and reporting back!
          Last edited by KIRIEIW; 06-02-2020, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Let us know how it works. I am considering this specific setup for my S52 build. I was thinking which ever flywheel and clutch setup I end up using, I will run a long hose connection from the clutch master to the clutch slave having the engine/trans outside of the car. If it works I can test the clutch setup before installing it in the car. Can u see if u have the same problem shifting gears if u don’t have the engine running. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Aloha Norm

Comment

I'll attach the SIB we have at BMW on this issue, it's definitely a good read with some good diagnosis tips regarding "hard to shift" issues at a full stop with the engine running. I'd recommend giving it a quick read.. I certainly learned a few new things.. but basically what it's saying is if you can shift into gear smoothly when the car is off, but have trouble when the car is running, it's certainly the clutch not fully disengaging.

Also I figured I'd mention it, I used the stock e30 Clutch master, the stock e30 clutch hard line, e36 Slave Cylinder, and a e36 318iS/ 325iS stainless steel brake line from ECS tuning. Works great on my 92' e30 S50 swap.. should also work with this new swap once it's all sorted. The garagistic line doesn't fit. You'll need to get the ECS tuning line or something similar to the angle on the ECS line, where the line connects into the slave.

Lastly I'll have your steering rack plate shipped out tomorrow .

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 06-02-2020, 11:44 PM.

Comment

This is not something I am happy to hear about....I have the same clutch kit installed in my project. I wonder if they somehow included the wrong TO bearing in a few of the kits?

Don't know if you took a pic of your TOB but here is the TOB from my install:

I think CodyM42 installed a Valeo SMF kit on his M52 swap but I do not know which part number....might be worth a PM. I don't remember him reporting any issues.

Isn't the need for a longer E21 6 cylinder TOB an issue when you swap a M20 SMF on an M42 (which came with a DMF)? I have never heard of the need for a longer TOB using any of the Valeo kits. I know the BMW SIB does not reference this but I have had similar shifting issues in E21's and E30's when the pilot bearing was seized/seizing. Did you replace the pilot bearing when you built the engine?

For reference, you can see how Valeo increased the thickness of their flywheel to keep the stack-up dimension the same as the stock parts:

Keep us posted - I will be following this thread and hoping I don't need to pull the trans....and BTW the Garagistic clutch line you reference fit my swap fine - I just installed it yesterday (getting closer).

MJ

Comment

Kevin, I just got your PM. I do have the Valeo 835038 clutch and flywheel kit on my car. This kit is a different part number than yours but I'm not sure of the difference. I haven't had any problems with my car. I've put about 6k miles on this setup.

I have a picture on this post: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...e2#post6915729
                  '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                  '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I'm having the same issue with my ecs tuning clutch and flywheel. Exact same problem with the clutch not fully disengaging.

Try removing the slave and pumping it against the transmission. Then compress it full and crack the bleeder. That helped but it didn't completely solve my issue. Everything should be stock stack height...

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                      This is not something I am happy to hear about....I have the same clutch kit installed in my project. I wonder if they somehow included the wrong TO bearing in a few of the kits?

Keep us posted - I will be following this thread and hoping I don't need to pull the trans....and BTW the Garagistic clutch line you reference fit my swap fine - I just installed it yesterday (getting closer).

MJ
                      Especially after reading the FCPEuro review saying a new throw-out bearing fixed his issue.. The "good" news is I have another brand new VALEO kit in box, in my garage. When I pull the transmission out I plan to pay close attention and compare the two kits. Both have the same part numbers.. Purchased roughly a year apart from each other. The kit in the car currently was purchased sometime in 2019, the other kit in the garage 2020.. Doubt that matters but anyways the main point here is I'll be comparing the two kits for any obvious issue's or differences.

I also have a stock throw-out bearing so I'll compare the height of the VALEO bearing, the Stock BMW, and the 323i bearing which is coming in the mail currently and post pics here.

Interesting the Garagistic line worked for you.. Here's a pic of the ECS one I used;

Lastly thanks Codym42 for the info.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by KIRIEIW; 06-04-2020, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                        I'm having the same issue with my ecs tuning clutch and flywheel. Exact same problem with the clutch not fully disengaging.

Try removing the slave and pumping it against the transmission. Then compress it full and crack the bleeder. That helped but it didn't completely solve my issue. Everything should be stock stack height...
                        Not good.. I'm going to measure the difference between a 323i throw-out bearing and the stock bearing/ report back in this thread. The extra few MM in length of the 323i bearing may fix this issue..

Comment

Found the receipt for my Valeo 52401210 kit, I bought it in September of 2017 when it was on a super sale at RockAuto, the paperwork within the kit showed the same part number that CodyM42 quoted above (835038).

I don't know which clutch master you are using in the Touring...I assume the stock E34 525i....which is a 19.05mm bore and the E30 is the same dimension....so it should have the same displacement/fluid movement per stroke. Don't know if that helps at all but it is another data point....and FYI the Z1 uses the E34 master so same driveline as the E30.

There has been a lot of weird little differences in parts fitment on my car compared to what others have used....I don't have a pic of the slave cylinder line loose but have a couple of installed pics:

Look forward to your findings on the TOB measurements.

MJ

Comment

I had a customer car come in for a clutch a few years back. 1998 328i that was originally an auto and swapped at some point in it's life. Bought a 328 clutch kit, installed it and was pulling hair trying to figure out the release problem. Well, it turned out the PO that did the swap used a 325 FW and the outer edge of the larger 328 disk was rubbing the recess in the FW. Installed a 325 clutch and sent it down the road.

The 328/m3 and m50 FW's look very similar, but the recesses are different sizes.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

The fun begins!! I'm so pissed I had to pull this transmission again, let me tell you. I have 9 photos for "show and tell" today, hope everyone enjoys.

Few observations;
                              -The e21 bearing is going to be too long, and would constantly be touching the pressure plate
                              -The e36 325i/328i/ e34 525i bearing is the same size as a e34 m5/ e36 M3 bearing - Yet have different part numbers
                              -The valeo throw out bearing is roughly 1mm "wider" then a factory BMW throw out bearing
                              -My valeo bearing is a different part number then the one posted above.

IMG_9624 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

IMG_9619 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

IMG_9630 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

IMG_9629 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

IMG_9628 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

IMG_9627 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

IMG_9625 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

As you can see here, it's ever so slightly wider. Maybe even less then 1mm

IMG_9620 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

IMG_9621 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 06-23-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X