My 24v long term swap :) S54 I Love.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    that's still with the stock airbox, AFM, and M20B25 intake manifold/throttle, correct?

    I suppose it really doesn't matter since your M20 is just a placeholder for another engine that puts down more than twice as much power. :p
    Placeholder for the beast on the stand :)

    Stock air box. Stock afm. USA Original untouched m20b25 air box and throttle body.

    MCE guys felt that the back box was restricting power, they thought I had a stock exhaust (long tube headers and catless mid section is fitted) as the db volume on dyno was not enough!

    Also suggested going to a MS or non factory Ecu to get more resolution on the mapping; power also.

    The spec cars were dyno-ing similar on hp as my m20 initial chip map dyno run yesterday - they may have peaked higher- i'll try to find a chart of a 2.5 on the same dyno

    my mid and lower lump of torque was the difference. On track I was best at 4-5k rpm zone on torque zone.

    Top end may possibly have some HP to gain from trimming more fuel out, but I'd prefer to leave room for wangan induced ram air- unless some knock sensors are fitted...

    Will do a couple more things to the M20 and re map to dyno again.... Perhaps will be in time for the next event 1/22/12.... :)

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    that's still with the stock airbox, AFM, and M20B25 intake manifold/throttle, correct?

    I suppose it really doesn't matter since your M20 is just a placeholder for another engine that puts down more than twice as much power. :p

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    Just for comparison, did the dyno guys say what spec e30s were dynoing hp/tq on average?

    Leave a comment:


  • Ian Bowers
    replied
    Skid pad is super easy once you get comfortable out there. I can chuck around my 107WHP M42 E30 no problem. Also have to give the MCE guys props, they're awesome fabricators, and just nice people in general.

    Leave a comment:


  • graphikg
    replied
    I'll be checking back periodically for updates. Great job.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Thill was great. First half of the day I shook it down on track, second half I worked on linking drifts :D
    First time out on skid pad thunder hill, very fun. It's not easy to keep going slideways and time the transitions, then keep sliding post weight transfer


    Also tested the first revision of Oem 1.3 remap-chip tune on the dyno.

    Plug for good local track side dyno shop at thunderhill: The guys at MCE are the official dyno spot for spec e30, shared lots of mapping/setup info they learned from dyno-ing so many e30's!!!

    Fee was very fair and I actually got many more pulls than I paid for, well worth the time. The afr's are laid out across the bottom of the sheets.

    MCE also has a AWD dyno next to this one, same price to pull as rwd! Pretty cool stuff.

    Easy going power, mostly in third/fourth on track. 6 speed close ratio box was easy going



    Dyno pull done in 4th gear, AFR and RPM metering by MCE. Considering requesting 5th gear pulls next time as its 1:1.
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-26-2011, 09:17 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ian Bowers
    replied
    How was Thunderhill?

    Leave a comment:


  • catuned
    replied
    ^What was the outcome sir?

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied


    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-27-2011, 05:31 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by Hornung418

    Mice mod. Was it worth the extra weight that the 5 speed could have saved you?
    Thanks!

    The added 6 speed weight (guessing 25 lbs) was worth it for a modern shifting box. G260 is easier to heft on your shoulder than a ZF 6 speed!. nothing else in the swap added weight.

    The OEM 5 speed G260 that came out of the car had perfect syncros and operated pretty much flawlessly, but the feeling of the 2005+ ZF boxes is butter smooth.

    I've had an factory equipped Getrag 6 speed BMW prior (e39 540i-6) and it was a bit grumpy when cold. The ZF is a happier guy in the morning when woken up.

    Besides the actual transmission weight increase, the 6 speed did not add any more weight. clutch setup was same weight as the M20 clutch that came out of the car. Modern transmission seems more efficient and the car feels like it it moves "smoother". Whatever that means lol

    Shifter linkage is tiny, but original e46 sport shift lever was retained -it was also used with the G260 5 speed box.

    Shift carrier and Selector rod and transmission mounting plate / adapter are custom made BNB Designs items to fit the E30 smaller body.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hornung418
    replied
    You should probably not drive like a dick with all the bikes around...

    Mice mod. Was it worth the extra weight that the 5 speed could have saved you?

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by LJ851
    ^ Shifty character driving that car. haha

    Have you dyno'd that car Wangan? I'm curious what it puts down.
    will sometime reasonably soon and will post charts when I do.

    first shake down in the mountains, current final drive choice is a decent compromise but a bit long for tight stuff:

    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-19-2011, 09:31 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    ^ Shifty character driving that car. haha

    Have you dyno'd that car Wangan? I'm curious what it puts down.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by Jean
    Pics not showing
    just re-jiggered photos.

    Originally posted by LJ851
    Pretty cool. Stock E30 hyd clutch is self adjusting already, tho.

    thanks!

    Leave a comment:

Working...