Andrew's S54 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More cruise control research:

E85/E86 Z4 has a retrofittable stubby cruise stalk which has the FGRS output. TIS says it is compatible with all the different DMEs for that car. The FGRS signal from the E85 stalk, and the E46 MFL steering wheel control, connect to the same pin at the MS45 DME. The E46 MFL is identical whether the MS45 DME or the MSS54 DME is equipped.

Additionally, you can see that when the stubby E85 stalk is installed, there is still no gauge cluster indicator lamp for cruise control, whereas the E46 has one. This explains the K-Bus signal from the E46 MFL to the cluster and no additional signals on the E85 stalk.

Worth trying...

Comment

I probably won't bother with cruise control but it would be nice to have the option. :)
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

hello guys
        i'm Gianluca , from Italy and I made the same work on my bmw z3. I have only one problem : i don't understand the electric cable of my s50b32 engine. do you understand the maps of circular connettor of that engine ? do you know the number of PIN what are? please can you help me ? ciao gianluca

Comment

Got the pleasure of checking out this car today, super clean swap. Seamless!

Comment

Originally posted by nucci View Post
            More cruise control research:

E85/E86 Z4 has a retrofittable stubby cruise stalk which has the FGRS output. TIS says it is compatible with all the different DMEs for that car. The FGRS signal from the E85 stalk, and the E46 MFL steering wheel control, connect to the same pin at the MS45 DME. The E46 MFL is identical whether the MS45 DME or the MSS54 DME is equipped.

Additionally, you can see that when the stubby E85 stalk is installed, there is still no gauge cluster indicator lamp for cruise control, whereas the E46 has one. This explains the K-Bus signal from the E46 MFL to the cluster and no additional signals on the E85 stalk.

Worth trying...
            Interesting, although I don't see how the output would be different from the Z3 FGR unit. hmm... :)
            Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Here's a dyno from today. My car is in red. A stock 2002 M3 is in blue. It has an issue to work out below 4k. The upper range is good. :)

Last edited by Andrew325is; 03-05-2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                Thanks John. :) I hope you don't mind if I post the dyno from today. My car is in red. A stock 2002 M3 is in blue. A little problem to work out below 4k, but then it took off like a rocket. I shoulda took a vid with my iphone. :D

Little problem? That's what no VANOS looks like. Do you know what caused it? Does it do that all the time?

Comment

hook that bad boy up to a diagnostics interface. looks like vanos isn't working to me as well.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Holy Torque Hole Batman!
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

That's what my M10 feels like when I open the secondary at too low an engine speed.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Yeah its like that all the time. We tried hooking it up to DIS but it wouldn't communicate. I've used a generic cen-tech obd2 reader before that worked. This is how I have the obd2 port wired:
                        1 GN/WS 0.75 -> Ignition switched live (C101 #6)
                        4 BR 0.5 -> Ground
                        5 BR/SW 0.5 -> Ground
                        7 ws/vio/ge 0.35 Diagnostic line engine (Signal Data link TXD) -> X60004 pin 32
                        9 SW 0.35 Speed -> X60004 pin 17 and C101 #9
                        16 RT/SW 0.5 -> Continuous live

It showed the following generic codes:
                        P0418 - Secondary Air Injection System Relay 'A' Circuit Malfunction -> I'm assuming this comes up because I don't have the air pump installed.
                        P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor 'A' -> I figured this one had to do with DSC (speed sensor at one of the wheels?) but that is disabled. It couldn't be one of the camshaft sensors or the crankshaft sensor could it?
                        P0506 - Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected -> I don't know what this means. Vacuum leak?

We noticed the throttle kind of flutters so maybe the electronic throttle motor isn't getting enough current. I extended the wires to it and a few sensors to make the harness longer so it would reach inside the car. I used the same wires from another S54 harness but maybe one of the joints isn't good. The wire's are pretty thick and my solder iron is only 50 watts.
                        Last edited by Andrew325is; 02-29-2012, 09:21 PM.

Comment

you want a VSS input. it doesn't matter if DSC is there or not. the signal comes from the DSC unit normally, but the VSS output from the E30's cluster is equivalent. it doesn't send the signal over the CAN bus, it's just a dumb signal like pretty much any older BMW.

a generic code reader can't tell you nearly as much as BMW's software. are you using the 16 pin OBD port or did you wire up a round 20 pin? i'll have to check how mine is wired but all you really need is ground, switched 12v, and the txd pin.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I sure hope its not the VANOS. It hasn't displayed any of the codes associated with a VANOS failure.

Here's the associated VANOS failure codes from http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu...procedure.htm:

Fault codes:
                            P0010 (BMW xx, 0xxx): Vanos intake solenoid circuit
                            P0011 (BMW 67, 0x43): Vanos intake timing over advanced
                            P0012 (BMW 72, 0x48): Vanos intake timing over retarded
                            Pxxxx (BMW 184, 0xB8): Vanos intake position control
                            P1525 (BMW xxx, 0xxx): Vanos intake solenoid open circuit

In some cases vanos exhaust fault codes may be present:
                            P0013 (BMW xx, 0xxx): Vanos exhaust solenoid circuit
                            P0014 (BMW 22, 0x16): Vanos exhaust timing over advanced
                            P0015 (BMW 21, 015): Vanos exhaust timing over retarded
                            Pxxxx (BMW 185, 0xB9): Vanos exhaust position control
                            P1531 (BMW 22, 0x16): Vanos exhaust solenoid open circuit

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              you want a VSS input. it doesn't matter if DSC is there or not. the signal comes from the DSC unit normally, but the VSS output from the E30's cluster is equivalent. it doesn't send the signal over the CAN bus, it's just a dumb signal like pretty much any older BMW.

a generic code reader can't tell you nearly as much as BMW's software. are you using the 16 pin OBD port or did you wire up a round 20 pin? i'll have to check how mine is wired but all you really need is ground, switched 12v, and the txd pin.
                              So you are saying that I should connect C101 #14 to X60004 #22? What would that do?

E30 from my own wiring spreadsheet:
                              14 Speed Signal BU/YL BK/WT Speed signal output from instrument cluster to speed signal input at DME

MSS54 under X60004:

22 E (E = Input) DFAHR Speed signal right rear Dynamic stability control unit

Comment

yep

One thing it affects is idle control. There are probably more of course but I haven't probed into it much yet.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X