Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much have you paid for the flash in your S54 DME for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark I jumped to the end of the thread.. I'd be more than happy to be the West Coast location for flashing.. we're currently dropping an S54 into our US Touring / GTS E46 sedan. I'm going to PM you with my needs...
    Last edited by valleymotorwerks; 05-08-2012, 09:58 PM.
    Valley Motorwerks
    1988 E30M3

sigpic

Comment

Just another data point, but Bimmerworld just dropped their price rather significantly: $1399 for the ECU conversion and another $399 for the wiring harness (with CAN output). A tune is not included, but can be added on.

Mark, does your method allow for CAN for data logger input/output?
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Isn't CAN output part of the stock wiring? that's how the DME communicates with the cluster. the trick is having something that can interpret the messages on the bus? or are they reprogramming the CAN bus too?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          Isn't CAN output part of the stock wiring? that's how the DME communicates with the cluster. the trick is having something that can interpret the messages on the bus? or are they reprogramming the CAN bus too?
          I'm fairly sure it is. I think they leave it alone but I'm not 100% sure. They leave it because many aftermarket data loggers (AiM especially) has native support for E46 CAN decoding and logging.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I don't get it then. I'm not sure it's worth $400 for wiring mods. anyway it would be easy to add the wires back if they removed it for some odd reason. :)
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The harness, as best as I understand it, is so you only need to attach the ECU to the engine, power, drive by wire pedal, diagnostic pin, fuel pump trigger, rpm, and ground, with CAN output possible. I haven't delved too deeply into it but that's my understanding.
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

it also needs VSS input, and you could use the PWM fan control, there's a lot of things you could do differently depending on what you want.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

$400 isn't a bad price to pay for a new wiring adapter, especially if it's coming with an OBD-II plug too. That's awesome that BW dropped the price on the flash, too, because it gives you access to the best S54 tunes out there.

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                  X