No announcement yet.

S54 swap questions and concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the bosch pump is probably overkill, but that would work.

I posted this in another thread - but a while ago I got an E46 M3 pump to retrofit into my original fuel pump carrier (I have a late tank/single pump). I finished it but never put it in the car - well, I went to do that last weekend, and when I pulled the pump I had in the car (which I bought brand new just a couple years ago), I realized they'd updated the pump carrier and sock on the newer pumps. the E46 M3 pump would have been a direct fit into the later pump carrier & E30 sock. In fact, the E46 M3 pump and the updated E30 pump look identical - so I decided to just leave the new pump I had in the car and not use the M3 pump. We'll see if it holds up to 5 bars, I have a hunch it will be fine because it's likely the same pump anyway.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hmmm that's very interesting, but with it looking identical will it perform the same, cause it could be lower pressure for the e30s. I do wish I had a late model tank so I'm able to go single pump, things would have been so much easier.
      sigpic
      E30love

Comment

the pressure is controlled by the regulator, not the pump.

When you increase pressure, volume decreases. The first question is, is the pump identical? The second, more important question is - can the pump flow enough volume at 5 bars? I have the feeling the answer is yes.

It makes sense to me that they would just make one type of pump for many different models instead of continuing to manufacture the same pump from 30 years ago. The car won't care if the pump can actually flow a lot more volume at a higher pressure than it needs, pressure is controlled by the regulator and volume by the injectors so it works out to be the same.

anyway, I just wanted to put it out there as a potential option for people doing a swap like this. I could very well be wrong, but we will see. :)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

very useful info Nando thanks, give me an update when you get results. When preparing for this swap I've done a ton of research but it's always the little things that gets you stuck and scratching your head for answers. I'm hoping to have everything covered in this thread so that anyone wanting to do this swap will have all the info available and thanks to all you guys sharing your knowledge, we can make it easier for the next guy.
          sigpic
          E30love

Comment

Make sure the pump you use has the proper fuel volume rating for the s54, I can't remeber the spec for Mcars but out regular cars it's 1 liter per 30 seconds.

Comment

Bosch 044 Fuel Pump Specs:

Bosch Part Number: 0580254044
              Minimum Current: 12 Volts
              Operating Pressure: 72.5 PSI (5 Bar)
              Minimum Flow @ Outlet: 80 GPH (300 LPH)
              Fuel Pump Location: In-Line
              High Temperature Reduction: 8 GPH (30 LPH)
              Weight: 1030 Grams (2.27 Pounds)

I will be using this and th stock intank pump for my setup.
              Last edited by jink0619; 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM.
              sigpic
              E30love

Comment

The 044 is overkill unless you're going for lots of power, I believe it is E85 friendly too. This is my choice for the N54 swap since I'd like to take advantage of E85 mixe.

The in tank pump will become the Latter pump, then to the surge tank with 044 pump, then to the N54

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                  The 044 is overkill unless you're going for lots of power, I believe it is E85 friendly too. This is my choice for the N54 swap since I'd like to take advantage of E85 mixe.

The in tank pump will become the Latter pump, then to the surge tank with 044 pump, then to the N54
                  Some that has this setup in their m3 with either a rebuilt s14, euros50 or s54 hasn't had any issues. So I'm gonna give it a try if it's overkill like u say, then I'll replace the intank with a walbro255 and delete the external pump.

I've been waiting for someone to swap an N54 into our cars, this will be very interesting.
                  sigpic
                  E30love

Comment

Bosh004 external pump, now how to install this thing? Lol, its bigger and longer so won't fit in the stock bracket, and need to find the right fittings I guess.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    E30love

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
                      Right.

Massive's dual MC's mounted on the firewall setup:

Garagistic bracket with wilwood/tilton pedals:

I'm leaning toward garagistic bracket setup as of now..
                      I was soooo excited about this option until I found out I need to swap out my steering column due to having an airbag wheel :(
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Talk to FredK. He has an airbag column and made the massive Lee one work. Just a little tab cutting/grinding if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
                          Talk to FredK. He has an airbag column and made the massive Lee one work. Just a little tab cutting/grinding if I remember correctly.
                          Awesome thanks!

Comment

I've already forgotten exactly what I did! I had to cut off the front portion of the column "wedge", if I recall. I had to disassemble the column mounting first, then I had to modify it. It wasn't particularly easy, but it also wasn't that time consuming.

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                              I've already forgotten exactly what I did! I had to cut off the front portion of the column "wedge", if I recall. I had to disassemble the column mounting first, then I had to modify it. It wasn't particularly easy, but it also wasn't that time consuming.
                              Haha well whenever I get to that stage I hope you remember, its that or I go with the 2002 booster. This thread is awesome btw, lots of good info.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                                Haha well whenever I get to that stage I hope you remember, its that or I go with the 2002 booster. This thread is awesome btw, lots of good info.
                                Yea thanks to all the guys willing to share their knowledge on here, prime example of our amazing e30 community, guys helping guys out, it's great!

As for my swap progress, I been pretty busy and havnt had much time to work on it. Not much to do left tho very near to completion. I did get a chance to refinish my wheels :)
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                E30love

Comment

Working...
                                X