E30 M54 6 Speed Driveshaft Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M54 6 Speed Driveshaft Options

I'm working on putting an m54 into my '93 E30. As of right now I've got an M54B30 and a ZF GS6-37BZ 6 speed transmission.

What are my options for the driveshaft?
    I've read Jordan's guide and he suggests using the rear half of a E36 M3, front half of a Z4 3.0i which fits very well.
    Anyone know the measurements of this setup? Are there any other viable options for this?

I'm using the -17 6 speed, but had Driveshafts NW fabricate one from scratch.
    It fits perfectly and has been balanced as an assembly which you won't have when you mix and match.

Comment

Crate up the 6 speed and send it to me.

I'll send you a 5 speed and an E36 driveshaft. No fabrication required!

t
      when one has a lathe and a welder, driveshafts are a lot less daunting.
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

e35 325i auto driveshaft fits up perfectly
        RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
          e35 325i auto driveshaft fits up perfectly
          Hey, I know it's an old thread so hoping someone replies :)

Did you mean E36 auto 325i? And is it both front and rear propshafts?

Comment

Originally posted by noorshah View Post

Hey, I know it's an old thread so hoping someone replies :)

Did you mean E36 auto 325i? And is it both front and rear propshafts?
            Yes. I used othe complete assembly from an e36 325i automatic with my old setup. Just need to put the e30 CSB on it (obviously)
            RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Can you use srandard clutch with this set up

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post

Yes. I used othe complete assembly from an e36 325i automatic with my old setup. Just need to put the e30 CSB on it (obviously)
                Thanks!! That's pretty neat, I know what to look for now.

And also to confirm, that should work with any E30/Z3 Medium Case 188 Diff?

And sorry for the late response, never get any notifications :(
                Last edited by noorshah; 10-27-2023, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Before getting an e36 325 driveshaft, I would double check the PCD of the guibo/output flange on your ZF6 transmission and potential driveshaft candidate. The e36 m50 cars (at least in the US) generally use the smaller 78mm PCD guibo like most of the 325 e30 cars. Within the last year, I have helped out with 3 separate ZF6 swaps into e30's and they all used the larger flange 96mm PCD guibos.

One car used a shortened e36 5-speed m3/328 manual driveshaft, while the other 2 cars used e36 M3 automatic driveshafts (with e30 CSB swapped on). As long as the e36 driveshaft has a 4 bolt rear flange (not the 6 bolt CV style flange), it will bolt up to the e30/z3 differential.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                    Before getting an e36 325 driveshaft, I would double check the PCD of the guibo/output flange on your ZF6 transmission and potential driveshaft candidate. The e36 m50 cars (at least in the US) generally use the smaller 78mm PCD guibo like most of the 325 e30 cars. Within the last year, I have helped out with 3 separate ZF6 swaps into e30's and they all used the larger flange 96mm PCD guibos.

One car used a shortened e36 5-speed m3/328 manual driveshaft, while the other 2 cars used e36 M3 automatic driveshafts (with e30 CSB swapped on). As long as the e36 driveshaft has a 4 bolt rear flange (not the 6 bolt CV style flange), it will bolt up to the e30/z3 differential.
                    That's great bit of info. Much appreciated sir πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ

Comment

Working...
                    X