Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N52 -> Into Touring /// What have I done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sreid View Post
    I may have missed this in the thread. But what year was the z4? I saw you said you have the full car all together.

Been looking for an n52 with a magnesium cover. But quickly realizing they are getting scarce so not being picky. Should I also be looking for one from an “I” spec car and not an “IX” as I cannot use the x drive obviously. Just wondering if that matters when we are doing the conversion.

I’ve seen a few e90s with the x drive disconnected but I’m not sure how that works.

this is a loaded post with a few questions thanks in advance.

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

I wouldnt bother with the earlier magnesium valve cover motor if you can find a later plastic cover one. The later motors have some technical upgrades and having the vapor collection in the head is really nice, no cyclone separator or oil drainback line to the pan

What hoveringuy said. I joined an N52 group on facebook just to think about long term maintenance, most people in there are E90 people. Some of them "upgrade" to other valve covers (non-magnesium) for different reasons. I went for the Z4 engine so I'd have the right engine arms, and got lucky and it included the IVM. Basically as I first started considering this swap, you're going to need a hodge podge of parts from different cars, I went the z4 route to start, but the engine was used in so many different BMW's of the era, that it shouldn't really matter. You're going to be changing things up one way or another.

My apologies, I don't have a full z4 - I purchased the full z4 engine with engine harness. I believe it came from an auto 2007 or 2008. I don't recall without looking at the vin.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Yet more header appreciation.

Back from ceramic coating, interior of headers is coated too. Decided to give the engine bay a little bit of flare.

I want gold calipers and other doodads now...
      Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-30-2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

That coating really shows every detail.....

Looking forward to hearing how they sound.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeJ View Post
          Looking forward to hearing how they sound.
          Beautiful! I have similar headers, 2.75" single exhaust after the merge, a Borla resonator and Dynomax muffler. It's not obnoxious at all and absolutely wails on the throttle.

Comment

Slowly but surely.

C101 mostly done, other side of wires with plenty to get to locations, need to buy some thicker wire for the 12V wires.

==================================================

Google Doc: I'm compiling for basically all C101 related information to be used as resource.

GOOGLE DOCUMENT LINK --- Still pending some things and need to figure out a few.

Pins Used for 1993 BMW 318i Touring

FORMAT: Pin / Chassis Side Color / Gauge / Function / Engine Harness Color (New Color / TBA)

1 BLUE Small ========== ​Charge light ========== ​Blue

4 BROWN / VIOLET Small ========== ​Coolant Temp - Signal ========== ​Brown/Orange

5 BLACK / BROWN Small ========== ​oil pres - signal ========== ​Brown/White

6 GREEN / YELLOW Thick ========== ​O2 / Switched Power ========== ​BUY THICK GAUGE

7 GREEN Thick ========== ​Switched Power ========== ​BUY THICK GAUGE

8 YELLOW / WHITE Small ========== ​Fuel rate input ========== ​Yellow/White

9 BLACK Small ========== ​Engine speed input ========== ​Black

11 WHITE / BLUE Small ========== ​Reset service lights ========== ​White/Blue

14 BLUE / YELLOW Small ========== ​Speed signal out to ECU ========== ​White/Green

15 BLACK / GREEN Small ========== ​Unloader relay? ========== ​Black/Green

16 WHITE / BLACK Small ========== ​Diagnostic connector ========== ​Black/White

18 BLACK / YELLOW Thick ========== ​Start ========== ​BUY THICK GAUGE

20 RED / YELLOW Small? ABS Power ========== ​Green, Make Thick?

Pin / Description / New Connection / Location

Format: Pin / Color (New Color from C101) / Description / Connection / Location

1 BLUE ========== Charge Light ========== AltD+ to Ins. Cluster ========== Small Board (Glovebox)

4 BROWN / ORANGE ========== Coolant Temp. ========== Coolant Temp Sender ========== Crab Box Harness

5 BROWN / WHITE ========== Oil Pressure Light ========== X60007 pin 13 Splice

6 GREEN / YELLOW? - O2 Sensor? ========== Switched 12V IVM Power pin 23 ========== IVM (Glovebox)

7 GREEN? ========== Switched 12V ========== EKP Power pin 13 ========== EKP (Glovebox)

8 YELLOW / WHITE ========== Fuel rate input ========== X60007 pin 1 ========== Splice for converter

9 BLACK ========== Engine speed input ========== X60001 pin 21 ========== DME (Glovebox)

11 WHITE / BLUE ========== Reset service lights ========== Diagnostic Conn. ========== Glovebox/Switch?

14 WHITE / GREEN ==========Speed signal out to ECU ========== X60001 pin 17 ==========DME (Glovebox)

15 BLACK / GREEN ==========Unloader relay ==========LM Jumper Pin 18? ==========C101 ---------------------So add pin, make wire connect/spice with wire that comes from pin 18?

16 WHITE / BLACK ==========​​ Diagnostic connector ==========​​ ?????????????? ==========​​ UNC (Glovebox)

18 WHITE? ==========​​ Start ==========​​ X60191 pin 1==========​​ IVM (Glovebox)

20 GREEN? = Does it need to be thicker? ==========​​ ABS Power ==========​​ ABS ==========​​ ABS Module?

Oil Level etc:

My poverty spec 318i although it has AC, it lacks many pins for other things, which a few I may want later.

Does not have Pin 2, 10, 12 like 325i's. Not having these won't affect anything I assume? Or should I suspect error codes?

I know I want the oil level down the line, but if it's not necessary to get her running, that can wait.

Chassis Side from below:

Chassis Side from above:

To keep track, pins inserted directly - awaiting thicker gauge wire, and to triple check everything before they go to their home:

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-30-2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

The Oil Pan is finished!

Weight: ~10lbs

Hoping maybe next Sunday after getting back from a quick overnight up north, or more likely the following weekend the engine can go in the car.
              Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-30-2023, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Is that an oil pickup in the background of the fourth picture? Is that like an adapter to an M50 oil pickup or something? I see you're picking up some steam here! Great to see bud.

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post

Is that an oil pickup in the background of the fourth picture? Is that like an adapter to an M50 oil pickup or something? I see you're picking up some steam here! Great to see bud.
                  Yep, it's also a fancy machined piece.

I'm just the shmuck who got lucky that I can get these parts.

It uses a Porsche pickup, more on this later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	191.9 KB ID:	10095262

=========

More wire purchased for the thicker pins, should be here soon.

=========

Purchased and received a rear battery kit, need to decide if I want to do that now, or wait. I know I want it in the rear eventually. Need to roll the car out and see if tourings have the little channel for the thick positive wire, also unsure if my Passenger side rear compartment is deep enough for even my current battery, I vaguely remember something about rear battery tourings having a special piece for that.

Comment

Wow. That pan is a work of art. When do they go into production?
                    84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                    Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                      Wow. That pan is a work of art. When do they go into production?
                      That information is pending. Fabricator isn't sure if he wants to yet, when I have more information I'll share - or he will.

Comment

F'ing beautiful! Is that designed so that the returning oil drains down through that front heatsink?

Make sure to test-fit without a gasket and make sure the very rear counterweight clears.

Comment

F'ing beautiful! Is that designed so that the returning oil drains down through that front heatsink?

Make sure to test-fit without a gasket and make sure the very rear counterweight clears.
                          I think the front fins will do some for cooling, but I think it's also a touch of art. I'll follow up on that.

Some test fits were done, and the rear has a section skimmed for that specifically I think, but you're right a few more test fits should be done before it's bolted on.

Added another picture I thought was included of the rear above.

======================

More Google Docs!

Google Doc ---- IVM / DME stuff - more to add here, trying to make this a resource for myself so I don't forget what I've done, and perhaps make it clearer for the next guy.
                          Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-01-2023, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Beautiful! I have similar headers, 2.75" single exhaust after the merge, a Borla resonator and Dynomax muffler. It's not obnoxious at all and absolutely wails on the throttle.
                            Do you have video of the car running I’d like to hear it.

Comment

So you called it, rear had to be shaved a bit at the weld. Such tight spacing.

Crossing fingers no leak happens in this area now.

Next post: Oil pan install, again more for myself to remind what was done, will turn it into a long google doc down the line.

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-19-2023, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Oil Pan Install:

Fancy:

Need (2) bags of these specific bolts, and use the smaller ones.

Porsche parts, so you know it's good, I've got the part number, will include when made into Google Doc down the line:

For attaching pickup to windage tray/screen, and filling holes that were used to keep plastic original pickup:

These are smaller (M6) aluminum bolts.

First pass on all first torqued to 4 NM or 35.4 IN LBS.

Then, going back around (+100 Degrees turn after 4NM is the final torque spec).

Test fit:

Rear of Crankshaft rubbed (JUST BARELY) on rear weld, so it was needed to shave some off, hoping no leaks happen due to this.

Maybe put some JB weld on the outside, just below, before transmission goes on?

BACK TO IT.

Used (28) bolts from two of the [ 11 13 2 210 959 ] bags:

These are aluminum bolts. First pass on all first torqued to 8 NM or 70 IN LBS.

Then, going back around (+90Deg turn after 8NM is the final torque spec).

NOT PICTURED: Thin line of RTV used on bottom of gasket - so a small line between the oil pan and gasket will hopefully seal any marring/scratches on the pan's mounting area.

Few more shots of the oil pump pickup:

Finished, for now:

My touring being a 318 doesn't have the pins for oil level level, so my oil level sensor will be installed as a dumb unit that just hangs out for now.

The M20 oil dipstick + tube I sourced is slightly different than the one this pan is designed for, so I'll need to use another.

Bolts to attach engine to transmission arrive today I believe.

Next install session will be for flywheel, clutch. Need to ensure I get the right plate/parts between engine and transmission.

Then attaching engine to trans, then I should be able to get this thing sitting in the car, awaiting all of the other things to do.

Need to start accelerating the pace now, life and lots of things are happening, but we are getting into hot temps, love to have this thing running long before it gets cool.
                                Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-19-2023, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X