No speedo after subframe bushing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No speedo after subframe bushing replacement

Hey Guys! Finished up my subframe bushing replacement and the ix rear end feels great!

However my speedo is not working now. Worked fine before I did the bushings so I’m assuming I either disturbed the wiring to the speed sensor in the diff or the sensor itself is bad?

I had the diff out when I did the subframe bushing and I had the diff bushing replaced by a local shop since I don’t have a press. I gave the shop the diff cover with the sensor still bolted in it and am wondering if they could have damaged the sensor when they did the bushing?

I checked the wires to the sensor and they look good with no obvious breaks.

Is there a way to check the sensor with a multimeter before I just replace it?

Thanks!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by E30andy; 07-28-2021, 05:35 AM.
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

I guess it should turn on and off if you insert a metal thing between the contacts.

Comment

The wires in the diff area are super known to become brittle and crack. Most likely that is your issue.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
        The wires in the diff area are super known to become brittle and crack. Most likely that is your issue.
        I think you are correct. I tested the sensor with a multimeter after googling a bit and looks like its ok.
        Any idea on part numbers for the female plugs that plug into the sensor? Figure I will cut off the wires to the sensor as far up as I can and then replace the wires and the female plugs.
        1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post

I think you are correct. I tested the sensor with a multimeter after googling a bit and looks like its ok.
          Any idea on part numbers for the female plugs that plug into the sensor? Figure I will cut off the wires to the sensor as far up as I can and then replace the wires and the female plugs.
          I dont know the PN but you can find them on realoem.com. Although its probably easier to just snip a used one from a junked car, im sure most of the vintage BMW cars use the same connector or you may be able to solder some fresh wires on it.
          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post

The replacement 90-degree connector is 61130007445

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

The replacement 90-degree connector is 61130007445
              Thanks Vincenze! Parts ordered!
              1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Working...
              X