X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 325ix Rear axle Bushings - Question

See my earlier posting on this for background:

- https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ix-vs-the-rest

I am installing rear axle bushings for a 1990 325ix.

The axle bushing itself (33311128990 / 33311130483) is taller from the research Ive read (and given on this forum).

My setup has the Bilstein B8 and H&R lowering springs..

The main issue is finding parts - Lemforder is Non Existent from my research - There are some vendors listing BMW brand for $107 apiece .. which is pushing my budget a bit..

I am going with regular Bushings (Moog or Febi) for the trailing arms.. This will be a daily driver..

Does it really matter if I find a IX specific bushing or can I go with the 325i axle bushing (shorter) ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230811_163832.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	10102112

Name:	broken shaft.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	10102113

Side note - I installed a regular 325I shaft in order to drive it in and around the block if needed.

Got it running and driving and street legal (sort of) - although the axle is bent and the drivers side rear tire is pointed outward

Name:	taillight fix.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	10102115

Here is the parts car: I got all the rear bumper parts needed to replace and the rear axle carrier and trailing arms:

Name:	20230720_170136.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	10102116

Attached Files

Comment

change all rear bushing to rwd model. I mean rear subframe bushing to rwd e30, then rear diff. When there is eccentric rear diff bushing when ix rear sub frame is about 10mm lower.
      That ix rear sub frame bushing has about 10mm longer middle sleeve, then rwd e30 has. That´s why there is eccentric rear diff bushing. That i cannot say would it harm your prop shaft, when whole rear axle is coming 10mm up, so prop shaft angle come more straight, i guess there is no issues...
      https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
      https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Originally posted by litu View Post
        change all rear bushing to rwd model. I mean rear subframe bushing to rwd e30, then rear diff. When there is eccentric rear diff bushing when ix rear sub frame is about 10mm lower.
        That ix rear sub frame bushing has about 10mm longer middle sleeve, then rwd e30 has. That´s why there is eccentric rear diff bushing. That i cannot say would it harm your prop shaft, when whole rear axle is coming 10mm up, so prop shaft angle come more straight, i guess there is no issues...
        Ah - Makes sense - Didn't think about the Differential Bushing

I have ordered everything but the Axle Bushings... Wasnt thinking to replace the diff bushing.. Now need to rethink

Comment

Getting ready for Spring work - and I need to bring this question back to the top - Need help - as I need to get parts ordered

I have reached out to a couple of vendors on the 333 111 28 990 or 333 111 30 483 rear subframe bushing and both vendors could not confirm they could get this from BMW - no one I could find shows it in stock..

Pelican Parts Search: 333 111 28 990

Search SiteSearch 33311130483 - 33311130483 - Rear Subframe Bushings - Priced Each (33-31-1-130-483) (ecstuning.com)

Is anyone running a stock E30 (NOT IX) subframe bushing with a non IX differential ​bushing on an IX? (See above posting by LITU )

This IX has lowering springs shock setup ..

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comment

for my reference

Subframe and Differential Bushings Selection for Lowered 325ix - R3VLimited Forums - See NANDO and spacers​

and apparently the "pushrod" #4 left and right will need to be changed to RWD RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Comment

If you use both RWD subframe bushings combined with a RWD differential cover bushing the entire rear end will be raised about 1/2 " upwards. The only issue I see would be driveshaft deflection. There is no center support bearing on the shaft, but that bushing setup might be too much deflection for the guibo on the front of the shaft to handle. In other words, one would be raising ony tha rear end of the driveshaft and not the front, which could be an issue.

Comment

Working...
              X