325IX Steering rack reseal/rebuild

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 325ix_STI
    Noobie
    • Aug 2025
    • 8

    #1

    325IX Steering rack reseal/rebuild

    Been having a decent size leak from the driver side of my steering rack. Have been trying to find information on resealing it and every site says something different. Some say the normal reseal kit will be fine but I know the racks themselves are different so was looking to see whether or not someone on here has already done it and what they found. Also, I saw another forum where someone said they had a leak that sounds similar to mine and when they took it apart to reseal it was pretty much toast. Not sure if anyone else has dealt with something similar but any info would be appreciated.
  • 82eye
    R3VLimited
    • Jan 2009
    • 2095

    #2
    ix racks are sleeved, regular e30 racks are not. it's often the sleeves that leak, there is no repair other than replacing a rack with a leaking sleeve.
    edit: seal kits should still be available but may have to be ordered from europe direct now. it won't fix a sleeve, if it's only seals leaking it'll do it.
    Last edited by 82eye; 09-27-2026, 12:50 PM.

    Comment

    • litu
      E30 Modder
      • Jan 2012
      • 847

      #3
      Originally posted by 82eye
      ix racks are sleeved, regular e30 racks are not. it's often the sleeves that leak, there is no repair other than replacing a rack with a leaking sleeve.
      edit: seal kits should still be available but may have to be ordered from europe direct now. it won't fix a sleeve, if it's only seals leaking it'll do it.
      Nooo, this sound very bad..When i have small leak. I have e30 steering rack seal kit, but if this is the case, not even bother to do it....
      i have little plan, but it would need money, to make custom metal tube front sub frame where can install like bmw burble tag rack
      https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
      https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

      Comment

      • 325ix_STI
        Noobie
        • Aug 2025
        • 8

        #4
        Yah, the only location I'm seeing a leak coming from is that boot on the drivers side which I'm guessing is where the sleeve is that you mentioned. I'm planning on grabbing a rack from a local parts guy but what should I look for to make sure I'm not buying an already messed up one. Obviously going to look for wet areas but is there a way to go about it where I'd be able to notice something before throwing it on the car?

        Comment

        • litu
          E30 Modder
          • Jan 2012
          • 847

          #5
          my leak from passanger side...So is ix rack serviceable or not
          https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
          https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

          Comment

          Working...