iX wheel thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
    I have Ground control coil overs, fronts are 375lbs and rears are 550lbs. I would suggest to go heavier in the fronts though, maybe 450lbs or something. I've put around 10k miles on them and haven't ripped any cv boots yet! It's a stiff ride but I'm young and dumb so I enjoy it haha.
    Very nice. Not many ix's using gc's - I love the way it sits.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    1988 M6 - The real project.
    1993 325i Vert - Project/Weekender
    2013 ATS 2.0T - DD
    1997 740i - sold
    1987 325is Turbo -sold
    1991 325ix - Sold
    1990 m50 325is - sold
    1987 535is - sold

Comment

Originally posted by imwhyteyo View Post
      Im curious, if I used something like a 225/45 on my front 8", what tire size should I be using in the rear 9", to maintain the mandatory rolling diameter without stretching out the rear? Im not absolutely set on this sizing yet, dont get me wrong, this is for my "showey" wheel application. Ive already got my winter setup, track wheels, and even a set of travel wheels already sitting and waiting.. but I need to figure out this show season set. .. I want to know how to calculate the sizing when I finally reach an optimal size for the fronts to fit and match the rears as ill be installing based on my eye more or less. . Ill be doing bodywork to compensate any future rubbing so my only clearance concerns are with the factory shock/struts and spring perch in hopes a 5mm spacer at most will resolve any of that....
      I know you're doing a magazine build... but do you have to use the staggered tire setup? Wider rear wheels don't make any sense on an AWD car. If anything, you should use M3 fenders and run wider wider wheels & tires in the front.

Comment

he could do it if the tire widths were the same on front and rear wheels.

fronts you want ET30-33, rears will be a lot tougher, there aren't a lot of high offset 9" wheels available. maybe switch to RWD trailing arms/hubs/brakes so you can run lower offset wheels out back?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I thought the RWD's and AWD's used the same trailing arms?

I know he *can* use the wider rear wheels with the same size tires (well... as far as stance goes...) but it still doesn't make any sense.

Comment

I dunno, but you'd need hubs/brakes etc. anyway, so may as well swap on the entire trailing arm.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't get how swapping trailing arms relates to running lower offset wheels... Are 5 lug hubs shallower than the iX 4 lug units?

Comment

who said anything about 5 lug? :p

but yes RWD hubs have a narrower track. that's why ix brake rotors are different.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I believe the ix subframe is the same but the trailing arms are different
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    but yes RWD hubs have a narrower track. that's why ix brake rotors are different.
                    Ahh... ok. iX's have a wider rear track so that they can use the same wheels all around, I guess.

Comment

Yeah the ix has the same track as the M3 in the rear and 1cm wider in the front :) So it must be sportier then ;D
                      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Anybody try these 17x7.5 4x100 42 offset Drag DR-34 Wheels Back Spacing: 5.9"

Will these fit

Comment

they should fit but I'd put a 10mm spacer, ET42 is a bit high for such a large wheel. it'll look really sunken into the fenders and there may be strut contact issues.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I thought stock ix offset was was about 42? normal e30 bottlecaps were 35 and weaves were 30?

195 tires are 7.6 inches, so with a near stock offset and near stock size tire.... it should be perfect?

That same tire on a normal e30 bottlecap would put it (42-35mm) 7mm closer to your strut and would def hit?

Comment

that's what I was thinking too

Comment

Originally posted by Q5Quint View Post
                                I thought stock ix offset was was about 42? normal e30 bottlecaps were 35 and weaves were 30?

195 tires are 7.6 inches, so with a near stock offset and near stock size tire.... it should be perfect?

That same tire on a normal e30 bottlecap would put it (42-35mm) 7mm closer to your strut and would def hit?

You have offsets backwards. Bottlecaps are 7mm further from the wheel, not closer.

Actually they are even further than that because it also depends on the width of the rim. Bottlecaps and weaves clear by a country mile, they are 1" and 1/2" narrower that the stock ix wheels.

Generally with a wider wheel you want a lower offset than stock, but even stock wheels can take a 10mm spacer no problem.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X