Installing VDo oil pressure sender???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing VDo oil pressure sender???

I'm working on installing the BMP center consule gauge kit on a customers car, and ran into trouble trying to install the VDO oil pressure sender unit and adapter block. They will not fit period, the adapter hits the block and the motor mount arm. Has any one successfully installed the VDO sender on there IX? I called BMP but haven't heard anything back from them yet.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Drill and tap the hollow bolt that holds the oil cooler adapter on, thread it in there. if you are using a temp sensor, remove the stock pressure switch and put the temp sensor there (not the oil pan, it will not work there). you just have to wire the stock switch to the second post on the VDO pressure sensor for the dash light to work.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks, why won't the temp sensor work in the oil pan?
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

the oil in the pan doesn't get hot enough. I used to have it there - I could drive for hours before the temp needle even started to move (guage starts at 120). sitting in traffic for 5 hours on a hot summer day, it never went past 150, when the actual temp was likely over 200. But in the stock pressure switch location, it works right away, and I get to see the actual temp of the oil running through the motor. Like monday when it was 250f+ on the track! :(
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You know how many "experts" insist that the sump is the BEST place to put the oil temp sensor? Popular BMW race shops, the Zen Master, etc. Yet, BMW puts it on the oil filter housing. Go figure. I figure that the oil going into the pan is being cooled by the pan itself and air rushing by it. Also the sensor can only sample the oil that is closest to the wall of the pan, not enough flow. The PO of my cab put the sensor in the pan and it's running way too cool (120-150 ish with Turbo!) like you describe. It's got a relocated oil filter with aftermarket cooler that isn't thermostatically controlled which I thought was the main problem but I'm thinking it's not getting an accurate sample. I agree with you Nando, your post supports my theory.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

well it's either that, or my hot oil temps suddenly doubled after I moved the sensor. lol.

I think it's typically done in the pan because it's really easy, but the sensor threads right into the stock pressure switch location as well. and I have an oil pressure gauge with it's own switch wired up (really easy, just hook the old pressure wire to the new sender), so I don't need both. My old pressure switch was also leaking.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

hehe right. What kind of oil pressures are you seeing? I'm seeing some pretty low pressure numbers when hot. Something like 11PSI or so at idle. From what I've been reading it's pretty normal. The S14 by comparison is 32PSI at idle hot and 72PSI at higher rpms.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

10-11 is normal for a hot idle. I think the stock light comes on at 7psi, my VDO light comes on at 8.

your S14 also probably idles faster. I see 60-70psi hot at high rpm
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                X