Bilstein HD bump stop trim/removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilstein HD bump stop trim/removal

So my HD's were leaking, so they sent me new ones as per the lifetime warranty. I figured it would be a good time to throw on some H&R's at the same time. As many of you know, bottoming out is a problem with this combo. With the help of Ryan G and his shop, we manged to get rid of most of the internal bumpstop on the HD's, and I thought I would share it, with those who were wondering the same.

It was way easier than I imagined.
    The best way we found was to put the cap at the bottom end of the strut in a vise and kind of twist the yellow case to break it free. At that point you can just pull it all out and the bump stop is clearly visible.

Some people say that if you can remove it all and that if you are going to hit something hard enough to bottom that out then you have bigger issues, which may be true. I however decided to leave about 1/3 of the bump stop in.

so far I have not bottomed out on anything, even the places local to Ryan where he mentioned that he often bottomed out on in his old iX with the same set up, minus the bump stop trim. Could not be happier with this set up, subtle yet noticeable drop, and better handling, and best of all no bottoming out.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aaron325ix; 05-21-2010, 07:52 AM.
    sigpic

Good job. I think Bilstein uses these long as bumbstops as part of the "spring", since lots of people use these shocks with stock or soft/low (like h&r sports or eibach sportlines etc) springs and when you feel your ride is "stiff", you are actually on the damn bumpstops. If you have stiff spring rates you normally wouldn't be riding on bumpstops and it's a non issue :)
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

nice. I too would leave something in there - ix's don't have a lot of travel, so bottoming out isn't out of the ordinary.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it so far. I think the look is perfect, i honestly dont know if I would want to go any lower. From the info i had before hand i didnt think it would be low enough to suit me, but i was very pleased. the handling is noticible, but nothing crazy, still nice to drive on the street. Still havent bottomed out. :D
        sigpic

Comment

I am installing these right now - great thread. I cut them just as you show

Thank you

Comment

Not one to bump old threads...but I cannot get these damn buggers apart! Tried screw drivers, vice trick - nothing. Damn housing does not budge! Suggestions???
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

cold chisel between the bottom plate and fake housing has always worked for me.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

All I seem to get is smashing in the metal.

I got one done by pounding the top of it against a wooden block. The other one...well, it hasn't budged. I'm at a loss now. lol
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                X